What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not deflecting lol. It’s all you do when it concerns your good mate Brad.
If you or the club thinks changing coaches is going to make us any stronger you’re in for a lot more disappointment. It is scapegoating par excellence. “It’s fine guys, it was the coach’s fault. Let’s move forward and not increase our rugby league spend.”

We have a top six squad and that’s all we’ll ever have until we can improve our recruitment/retention system. Aren’t you f**king alarmed that our junior rep teams are all gash this year? Do you not think it’s connected to our NRL team’s plateau? Just a coincidence? Or all Brad Arthur’s fault?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It didn’t hurt the Panthers. They brought Cleary in to take them to the next level. It seems to have worked out pretty well in the sustainability stakes.
They were already going to the next level. All their current stars were already in the system. Cleary was brought in to help them retain their crown jewel on unders. If Cleary was such a good coach they wouldn’t have sacked him in the first place. He only hit 50% win rate in 2020 ffs, after being given this team.

Cloeel

Juniors
But a coach being able to get the best out of a current roster would help as well, I don’t think this is happening atm.

How do we know that he has not done this? Maybe the players we currently have are simply not capable of being consistent world beaters; week in week out?

Is it possible the club has recognised this and taking a more broad approach to the normal season; instead of giving a shit about individual games?

Maybe their goal is to come around 6th; then knuckle down during finals time. Which in itself has been a clear weakness in years gone by....

How do we know that he has not done this? Maybe the players we currently have are simply not capable of being consistent world beaters; week in week out?

Is it possible the club has recognised this and taking a more broad approach to the normal season; instead of giving a shit about individual games?

Maybe their goal is to come around 6th; then knuckle down during finals time. Which in itself has been a clear weakness in years gone by....
I hope that isn't their goal. But then I'm always getting my hopes up.

Happy MEel

First Grade
They were already going to the next level. All their current stars were already in the system. Cleary was brought in to help them retain their crown jewel on unders. If Cleary was such a good coach they wouldn’t have sacked him in the first place. He only hit 50% win rate in 2020 ffs, after being given this team.
Griffin’s win % in the 3 years preceding 2019 was 58%. Granted, his win ratio in 2018 was a bit higher at 65%. Cleary’s win ratio since 2019 is 77%, and that includes their shot house 2019. His record since then is incredible. He’s only lost 5 games in 2 1/2 seasons FFS…and that includes finals Whilst I’m sure keeping Nathan at the club was one consideration, suggesting that was the only (or even main) reason is pure speculation to suit your own narrative. There were plenty of articles at the time that Griffin was very much on the nose, which you’ve conveniently omitted.

There’s more evidence pointing to Cleary improving the side than not.

Im keen to find out what people would do if Cleary was available but his son wasn’t. I sure as shit know who I’d prefer as our coach. The Panthers defence is the best I can remember for starters. Their attack isn’t half bad either.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach

Lol if the goal is to finish 6th then we have even bigger dopes in charge than I thought.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But a coach being able to get the best out of a current roster would help as well, I don’t think this is happening atm.
Players improve when they come here. How is that not getting the best out of them? Where else have you seen them play any better?

Noise

Coach
It is a realistic goal for the squad we have.
It’s a mediocre goal for the squad we have. We finished 6th last year and all our young players have more experience. Plus most of our senior players have all experienced origin. There is no reason why we shouldn’t be aiming higher than last year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Griffin’s win % in the 3 years preceding 2019 was 58%. Granted, his win ratio in 2018 was a bit higher at 65%. Cleary’s win ratio since 2019 is 77%, and that includes their shot house 2019. His record since then is incredible.
Sounds like Sticky’s win rate at the Roosters. If Cleary is so good why was his win rate so poor prior to 2019? Has he only become a good coach since then?

Cloeel

Juniors
It’s a mediocre goal for the squad we have. We finished 6th last year and all our young players have more experience. Plus most of our senior players have all experienced origin. There is no reason why we shouldn’t be aiming higher than last year.

Yes but so does every other good teams young players.

Not saying we can't aim higher - with a bit of luck anything is possible. That is the beauty of finals footy!

Happy MEel

First Grade
Sounds like Sticky’s win rate at the Roosters. If Cleary is so good why was his win rate so poor prior to 2019? Has he only become a good coach since then?
Possibly. Perhaps he was working out what was going to work for the squad he had. Plenty of quality in this 2019 squad. Some times it takes a while for a coach to find his feet and for the players to respond. You have my word that I won’t call for our coach’s head next year if we bring in someone new.

E6179F29-10E4-4E32-83EF-CF406F9AFB5C.png

hineyrulz

Post Whore

So our goal is to come 6th?? No second chance playing away from week 2 the whole finals series??? We can’t manage to win two in a row and you reckon the goal is to finish 6th and try and do what no team has done before and win it from 6th and win 4 games in a row?? If the goal from coach and club is to finish 6th they should be sacked immediately.

“I nEvEr DeFlEcT”

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Players improve when they come here. How is that not getting the best out of them? Where else have you seen them play any better?
Why with a stronger squad are we doing worse than 2017 or 2020 then?? Individual players do improve here but the team never seems too. Lazy players I suppose……..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I’m sure he’s a relation to Bea Arthur, his dribble is reaching Pou levels.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But still had four current Origin players ffs. Don’t make f**king excuses for Robinson. With our one Origin player we belted them.
We belted them by 10 with 3 of their best players out after losing two middle forwards too concussion lol. And didn’t score a point the second half.

@Cloeel Are these the stats and figures you were talking about???