What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Walsh confirms intention to remain with Warriors for next year (2023)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
TMM apparently wants to come home and Arthars could potentially be a swap option.

Walsh was never staying beyond his current contract anyway and was never going to be the player we needed before his contract ended.

I'd take any two of CNK/TMM/Arthars over current Walsh.
TMM would be a good signing, although there is a log-jam with Metcalf, Volkman.

Metcalf fullback, CNK centre, TMM/Volkman or SJ halves?

Yeah, Walsh wasn't staying past his contract, that is true. But he was signed for 2023, forget player/club options, he was signed for 2023. It's shit, I hate this about rugby league. It really grinds me. And it'll never change, because the media won't push for it - they love the drama. And probably resultingly, the NRL do too and the headlines they get. It absolutely shits on fans and clubs.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't think we should pretend like this isn't a massive loss for 2023. Raiders fans don't speak that highly of CNK, they do of him as a person but I think the general consensus is that he's lost speed and isn't dynamic enough at FB anymore - which would explain why he's been benched at times this year and end of last.

Walsh has his issues with his defense but the guy is an out-and-out superstar with his attacking gifts, especially ball-playing. If he gets himself into a decent team, he'll be a stand-out. We are a lesser team without him for 2023.

Tongue

Juniors
It says he is only allowed to talk to Brisbane. Does that mean we may get Haas? Or is this to spite O’Sullivan at the dolphins?

Scott

Bench
Apparently his personal situation as changed a lot in the last 6 weeks. No drama at all with him not staying with us. Absolutely love the way we have fingered Wayne, POS & the Dolphins in this as well.

Meth

Staff member
I don't know- it seems pretty petty and spiteful to say that he can only talk to the Broncos, unless we're getting something (or someone) out of it

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Ahh jeez, CNK. I like him and he plays hard but he's not a game-breaking fullback. Perhaps they're signing him as cover or as a utility player and have another fullback lined up? He can't be asking top dollar.

Charnze was great for the Raiders in 2020 but he's fallen off noticeably since then. He's slow and has lost confidence under the high ball. He's also become more mistake prone when in 2020 he was solid as a rock (although from memory he made a critical error in the game that saw the Raiders' finals run come to an end?) With that said, his attitude is good. If he can maintain that at the Warriors then I guess he's not a bad signing.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I never expected him to make it to be here when we returned home, so can't say I'm really disappointed.

But we 100% need to extract something of value from the Broncos if we are letting him go a year early. Penrith played this card when the Dogs wanted Burton early, Storm played this card when the Roosters wanted Smith early.

We need to be trying to compete for the 8 next year, it's more likely this happens if we have Walsh. He's contracted to us, and that one year of Walsh has value. If the Donkeys want him early, they need to pay for that value, at minimum that means giving us Arthas. If we just roll over and let him go without the Broncos giving up anything, we're soft as f**k.

Juju

Juniors
Saying he can't negotiate with the Dolphins only lowers the clubs leverage with the Broncos & the possibility to get something back in return. Not very smart business.
I'd want two of Jesse Arthurs, TMM, Deine Mariner Or one of those and a forward - otherwise I feel like we're getting the raw deal

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Dylan Walker
4. Vailea
5. Montoya
6. SJ
7. Volkman
14. Metcalf

vs 2022
1. Walsh
2. DWZ
3. Arthars
4. Pompey
5. Montoya
6. Volkman
7. SJ
14. CHT

Honestly, both are underwhelming and are probably equal

jaseg

Juniors
I'd consider looking for both Arthars & TMM along with CNK coming over. TMM at fullback as he's played well there for the Broncos, CNK & Arthars at centre. But I dunno, with this club I doubt they're bringing CNK back to play anything but fullback. They didn't like him as a centre before either, despite his play there in NSW cup.

jaseg

Juniors
I do have to say though - I *love* the f**k you to POS after the Lodge thing in particular.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
No doubt there will be a lovely women’s day piece about true love reconciling after Reece has that Brisbane deal sorted

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Saying he can't negotiate with the Dolphins only lowers the clubs leverage with the Broncos & the possibility to get something back in return. Not very smart business.
I'd want two of Jesse Arthurs, TMM, Deine Mariner Or one of those and a forward - otherwise I feel like we're getting the raw deal
We have him under contract, his reasons for leaving are to be closer to his daughter. his daughter lives in Brisbane. Why should it be open slather to all teams, what if he signs with the Roosters or a Sydney club?

Juju

Juniors
We have him under contract, his reasons for leaving are to be closer to his daughter. his daughter lives in Brisbane. Why should it be open slather to all teams, what if he signs with the Roosters or a Sydney club?
We have leverage in the situation if handled correctly - leverage where we could secure a valuable roster piece in return. Instead it looks like we've gift wrapped a fringe origin player (with pretty massive upside) to a rival on huge unders for three years ($380k a year cheaper than the Dolphins reported offer)
It's not good footy business to get nothing in return... in fact it would be stupidity straight after the Lodge debacle.

Latest posts