What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mate the game was over at half time. Who gives a shit about the second half. f**king loser talk. What are you a Chooks fan?
It was a 14 point game you tit head!!! We gave up 3 tries in 5 mins against a shit team like the Titans. No game is ever over as a Parra fan ffs!!! Do you even Eel bro??

lucablight

First Grade
Tapine is no Haas or Taumalolo. He is in the RCG class.
There are really only a few truly marquee players in the NRL (eg Munster, Turbo, Tedesco). We are living in a weak era after all. I would say even Penrith don’t have that many. They have a lot of Tapine and RCG class players though which is sufficient to be challenging for a title if you have enough of them.
What do you mean “suddenly”? They have won three premierships since our last, and their junior reps have been the best in Sydney for well over a decade. How many wooden spoons have they won?
They’ve won one premiership in the last decade. If you want to go back all the way to 2003 then did they stop being well resourced and then become resourced again in 2020? Were we well resourced in 2001 but then lost all our resources? Our wooden spoons weren’t because of a lack of resources. It was because of poor management.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well we are doing better after 16 rounds than we were in 2017, when we were coming 9th. As for 2020, we just had more luck, winning a bunch of close games.
With statistical analysis like this the club should be chasing you, shame it's just a small organisation that couldn't afford your services.

lucablight

First Grade
I judge each performance based on whether I think they have played well against a better side. Like I said earlier, I wasn't particularly happy with the Souths performance. I wouldn't call our second half fade out acceptable. We had a great chance to win that game against the favourites.

We've played well against a red hot Storm side a couple of times and were a bees dick away from beating Penrith last year. I was disappointed in the results but not unhappy.

We've also had our arse handed to us by the Storm which wasn't acceptable. We should have been more competitive in that game.

Superstarrier?

A lot of our Origin players are fringe and haven't cemented a position. That is why I examined total games experience. What it showed is that its irrefutable that our squad isn't quite up there with the best teams. We lack depth and experience. But, hey we are still pretty f**ken good!

However, I 100% agree that the squad is good enough to do more than what we've been showing. Particularly this year. Maybe another coach can do a better job with them but we'll never know because the squad will look very different under a new coach.
Do you think RCG and Matterson (based on this seasons form) would be fringe origin players if they played for Penrith? Is Liam Martin a better backrower because he’s established whereas Matterson isn’t?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Do you think RCG and Matterson (based on this seasons form) would be fringe origin players if they played for Penrith? Is Liam Martin a better backrower because he’s established whereas Matterson isn’t?
To answer this hypothetical question do I have to assume that their form this season is hypothetically representative of what their form would be over any given hypothetical season?

lucablight

First Grade
To answer this hypothetical question do I have to assume that their form this season is hypothetically representative of what their form would be over any given hypothetical season?
It’s not that deep bro. I know you’re smart enough to answer the question without me having to explain every minute detail to you.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
It’s not that deep bro. I know you’re smart enough to answer the question without me having to explain every minute detail to you.
RCG and Matto have the potential to be more than fringe origin players if they were at Penrith.

Origin selection favours players from better teams.

However, you could also argue that they might become better players if they are in a team with consistently high standards.

lucablight

First Grade
RCG and Matto have the potential to be more than fringe origin players if they were at Penrith.

Origin selection favours players from better teams.

However, you could also argue that they might become better players if they are in a team with consistently high standards.
Agreed and that’s why I think when people say but team X is better than us because they have more origin players it doesn’t always tell the whole story. Some of our players are overlooked due to being in an inconsistent team. Josh Addo-Carr is a good example of how being in an unsuccessful team means you can go from an origin mainstay to a fringe player very quickly. I very much doubt Liam Martin would be a mainstay if he wasn’t playing for Penrith.

Cloeel

Juniors
Agreed and that’s why I think when people say but team X is better than us because they have more origin players it doesn’t always tell the whole story. Some of our players are overlooked due to being in an inconsistent team. Josh Addo-Carr is a good example of how being in an unsuccessful team means you can go from an origin mainstay to a fringe player very quickly. I very much doubt Liam Martin would be a mainstay if he wasn’t playing for Penrith.

Teams with consistently long term high standards would develop the better origin/international type players.

Of course it does not tell the whole story. Burton became an Origin level player from his development at Penrith; coming through their pathways. Not because he has been in the hot seat at the Bulldogs for 3/4s of a season.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I had a feeling that’s what you were setting up for…

I actually think it highlights the importance of leadership from the club, the coach and the senior players. You need to create a culture of success across the board. Look at what the Storm have done with multiple buggies.

It’s something that’s been sorely lacking at Parra for decades.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Teams with consistently long term high standards would develop the better origin/international type players.

Of course it does not tell the whole story. Burton became an Origin level player from his development at Penrith; coming through their pathways. Not because he has been in the hot seat at the Bulldogs for 3/4s of a season.
Consistent long term high standards at Parra?? And under Bea Arthur???

Animated GIF

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There are really only a few truly marquee players in the NRL (eg Munster, Turbo, Tedesco). We are living in a weak era after all. I would say even Penrith don’t have that many. They have a lot of Tapine and RCG class players though which is sufficient to be challenging for a title if you have enough of them.
Agreed. But the point is we don't have that many.
They’ve won one premiership in the last decade. If you want to go back all the way to 2003 then did they stop being well resourced and then become resourced again in 2020?
No, but we know they've had enough resources to win two premierships in the past 18 years and three in the past 30. With more data we're getting a picture of a club with significantly better resources than us, or at least better luck.
Were we well resourced in 2001 but then lost all our resources? Our wooden spoons weren’t because of a lack of resources. It was because of poor management.
Management is responsible for bringing resources to the club. In fact 'management' is itself part of the club's resources.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree but this is the evidence we have. We also have evidence of Eels players getting picked in Origin and then getting dropped. Burton plays for the Bulldogs and he's still in the team. Hayne used to get picked no matter how bad we were and Cleary didn't lose his place when Penrith sucked in 2019. We are top six for the fourth straight year and we have one bloke in Origin. That says a lot about the quality of our squad. Yes we have a few Liam Martins but we only have one bloke in the To'o/Luai/Yeo class. I'd say we have zero in the Nathan Cleary class but Dylan Brown has potential.

Latest posts