What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
I’d say the plan is to recruit toilers to build around them. But also RCG is a hard worker. The problem is lack of go forward from elsewhere means we rely on him to make a lot of carries and play long minutes. That reduces his effectiveness in defence.

Oh so it isn't a size problem after all.

Keep changing the goal posts mate. No one can tell.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Firstly, I do not accept that the coach doesn't have the squad that he wants - he has been nine years in the job and was at the club in 2011 and 2012 as an assistant and an interim coach....he has been instrumental in the establishment of the systems and the squad.

he's got the squad he can afford, not necessarily the team he wants

big difference

Gazzamatta

Coach
I’d say the plan is to recruit toilers to build around them. But also RCG is a hard worker. The problem is lack of go forward from elsewhere means we rely on him to make a lot of carries and play long minutes. That reduces his effectiveness in defence.
I recall poor Daniel Alvaro. He was big then encouraged to get smaller and more mobile then nek minit thats not working, lets get him big again. Absolutely fu*ked that guys Eels career. NFI. Reactive not proactive and to be more to the point, hardly even reactive.
"The teams effort was good but individuals need to show more effort." Ffs
If you hear hoofbeats you think Zebras.

hindy111

Post Whore
So why did we re-sign both Paulo and RCG then?? With the new rules you can get away with one really big man but not two especially with the sort of coin they’re on.

Lack of resources and money again I suppose……..

Analed by facts

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We have produced Dylan Brown, how good was Munster at 21???
We poached Drown from overseas, at a time when we were spending a lot more on junior recruitment. This year was the first year in a long time that our Harold Matts squad was all local juniors, according to Joey Grima.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The use of the word "want" was borrowing from the words used by Poupou Escobar when he as repeatedly stated that the coach may not necessarily have the squad that he "wants".
Agreed, which is the case at most clubs for most coaches. Sticky is unable to hold a squad together at Canberra, and it’s out of his hands. Market forces decide how strong your squad is and for how long.
My argument is that the coach has the squad needed to win a comp.
Where is your evidence for this?
And if he doesn't have the squad he needs to win the comp after nine years - then you can only conclude that he will never get the squad that he needs at this club.
So why do you think another coach will be able to do so? How many previous Eels coaches have been able to get the squad they need to win the comp?
And if he definitively can't win a comp at this club, then we have to try a coach who possibly can.
Again, you are blaming the coach when the solution is systemic to the club. The head coach doesn’t run the football operation these days, certainly not at our club, but probably not at any club. That stopped around the time Gould moved from Roosters coach to coaching director. There was just too much required to run a football operation, and the head coach needs to focus on coaching the team he’s given.
It's the very definition of rational human behaviour to abandon that which cannot take you to where you need to be, in the hope that another path may lead you to the destination.

But well done on attempting to troll through semantics, I hope it gave you the dopamine hit you needed to get through the day....
I just despise misplaced blame from merkins looking for scapegoats.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Management need to ditch the current coach so probably both.
Your claim that removing the coach will fix anything shows you miss the point. We don’t need less (sacking a coach), we need more. More money spent on scouts/recruiters and more benefits funnelled to players outside the cap for recruitment/retention. Getting rid of people isn’t the answer. We need more of them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't fall for pou's crap. Our 2 starting front rowers are our strength at this point not our weakness. Our bench, line speed in defense and our ruck training are our weakest link. All fixable if we had the right people driving the changes necessary. We aren't all that big in a bad way, but in a good way.
We just don’t have enough toilers. Lane, Papali’i and Niukore aren’t much better than Paulo. Great runners of the ball though. Enough to make the typical fan overlook their lack of contribution in defence.

TheRam

Coach
We just don’t have enough toilers. Lane, Papali’i and Niukore aren’t much better than Paulo. Great runners of the ball though. Enough to make the typical fan overlook their lack of contribution in defence.

Training practices in regards to line speed and ruck harassment or as I like to call it, our 'frottage' ability sucks, and the bench son, he doesn't know how to use the bench.

We need to be better at frottage. It's the only way to win the ruck. Be a dick and use it hard.

Noise

Coach
Your claim that removing the coach will fix anything shows you miss the point. We don’t need less (sacking a coach), we need more. More money spent on scouts/recruiters and more benefits funnelled to players outside the cap for recruitment/retention. Getting rid of people isn’t the answer. We need more of them.
Lol so you think I want to get rid of the coach and not replace him? I want to get rid of the whole coaching staff and replace them with some new people including recruitment guys. 9 year of no success likely means the coaching staff have grown stale. Fresh ideas. Fresh voices. And then maybe we can get our current squad playing at their best. Because right now only Dylan Brown is playing his best. The rest are all down.

TheRam

Coach

That's all you have to say, 'remove the coach, remove the coach'. Just like when I was calling for bigger forwards. You ignore all the other things that are said associated around and pertinent to that comment.

Pou you are a disgrace and everyone bar a couple of other dumb arse acolytes for the coach can see it. But I'm sure you will just keep twisting everyone's words to suit your plod loving agenda that sustains you.

84 Baby

Referee
Excellent. Saves me having to respond to another posters dumbarse comments in response.
Pretty sure if you’re only responding to those who read your essays then it’ll just be you talking to mods. Enjoy debating with Gronk

IFR33K

Coach
Maybe if pathways and recruitment are improved we could also develop a winning culture? Allowing us to have higher standards. As I have said previously. We need to be scouting blokes from 14/15 years of age and developing them all the way through a strong pathways system and weeding out the players who don't want to "buy in". That will be a start.

Until then project players from other clubs with poor attitudes and low standards will be the norm.

You honestly think we aren’t developing players from 14 and 15? All clubs do.

as for a winning culture, that comes from the coach not the admin. Melbourne having a winning culture has nothing to do with their admin, it’s all because of Bellamy. When smith, slater and Cronk moved on they’ve still been a force. And Bellamy has no hesitation in throwing in a cheapie or ‘project player’. He’s made a career from it. They all buy into his system and perform. Until we find our Bellamy, we’ll always be behind the 8 ball.

Latest posts