What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Cloeel

Juniors
You honestly think we aren’t developing players from 14 and 15? All clubs do.

as for a winning culture, that comes from the coach not the admin. Melbourne having a winning culture has nothing to do with their admin, it’s all because of Bellamy. When smith, slater and Cronk moved on they’ve still been a force. And Bellamy has no hesitation in throwing in a cheapie or ‘project player’. He’s made a career from it. They all buy into his system and perform. Until we find our Bellamy, we’ll always be behind the 8 ball.

What do you mean winning culture comes from the coach?

The coach is certainly an ingredient as part of a winning culture but he certainly isn't the reason for it.

No one is directly in charge of "winning culture" it is a culmination of like minded individuals who have a will to win.

JokerEel

First Grade
Your claim that removing the coach will fix anything shows you miss the point. We don’t need less (sacking a coach), we need more. More money spent on scouts/recruiters and more benefits funnelled to players outside the cap for recruitment/retention. Getting rid of people isn’t the answer. We need more of them.

Well it may fix the teams poor mentality against poor teams. They are able to get up for the Big 2 teams but everyone else they dont turn up or play as a team. That is on the coach after 9 seasons.

Also on Juniors you would think that a head coach of 9 seasons would have input on how the juniors are coming through. especially when it impacts your directly.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I’d say the plan is to recruit toilers to build around them. But also RCG is a hard worker. The problem is lack of go forward from elsewhere means we rely on him to make a lot of carries and play long minutes. That reduces his effectiveness in defence.
Analed ffs!!

IFR33K

Coach

The coach is certainly an ingredient as part of a winning culture but he certainly isn't the reason for it.

No one is directly in charge of "winning culture" it is a culmination of like minded individuals who have a will to win.

Ok take Bellamy out of Melbourne and replace him with Kearney. I don’t think the winning culture would survive without Bellamy. They want to play for him that bad!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Out of the say 20 odd players who have played first grade this year, who do you think are at their best?
I think you’re again missing the point. For most players their individual best relies on maximum involvement in attack. More runs, more touches, more output. So looking at individual form is asking the wrong question. What’s best for the team is that some blokes are more involved while others take a back seat. This will naturally mean the latter group appear to be below their best.

Cloeel

Juniors
Ok take Bellamy out of Melbourne and replace him with Kearney. I don’t think the winning culture would survive without Bellamy. They want to play for him that bad!

Not sure mate as Bellamy is part of the furniture.

I for one will be very interested with how the Storm go once Bellamy retires.

If I were to guess - they will have teething issues when he retires but the building blocks of there winning culture will be maintained.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh so it isn't a size problem after all.
Well it is, because bigger players are generally less mobile. A merkin who is huge and mobile should be horrifically expensive under the cap.

Forwards can be big, mobile or cheap. In fact they can be any two of the three. But also the more work a forward does in attack the less he has in the tank for defence and vice verse. It’s why when we have a run of possession against us Paulo will often make fewer than ten carries in a game. It’s why Penrith’s power middles (sounds like a BoB thing) Leota and Leniu play less than 40 minutes each week. Yeo and JFH pick up the slack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I recall poor Daniel Alvaro. He was big then encouraged to get smaller and more mobile then nek minit thats not working, lets get him big again. Absolutely fu*ked that guys Eels career. NFI. Reactive not proactive and to be more to the point, hardly even reactive.
"The teams effort was good but individuals need to show more effort." Ffs
If you hear hoofbeats you think Zebras.
No coach got better value out of that reserve grader than BA.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's the same for every coach. I'm sure any coach would love to trot out the NSW origin side each week for their club side but they all can't afford it.
But some clubs can afford a premiership-favourite squad while others can’t. They are not all operating with the same resource constraints. The performances of coaches across different clubs (e.g. Cleary, Maguire, Bennett and Stuart) proves that. It’s the club, not the coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

It’s built or degraded by the most influential people in the group, which includes the coach, but also the players with the biggest voices. You want more Watmoughs and fewer Haynes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We’ll just keep doing the same thing and expect different result shall we???

It’s been 9 f**king years lol.
You have to admit the team has changed a lot over nine years. When was the last time we made the finals three years in a row? The answer is 2007. If we make the finals again this year it’ll be the first time in 20 years we’ve finished top eight in four consecutive seasons.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well it may fix the teams poor mentality against poor teams. They are able to get up for the Big 2 teams but everyone else they dont turn up or play as a team. That is on the coach after 9 seasons.
“Everyone else”? Absolute hyperbole. Just a couple of years ago we were known as downhill skiers who would belt the weak teams and lose to the contenders.
Also on Juniors you would think that a head coach of 9 seasons would have input on how the juniors are coming through. especially when it impacts your directly.
I’m sure he does but the resourcing comes from the people who control the money.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They are self-motivated, which is yet another quality of high value players. And they love playing for Bellamy so much they lost a grand final 40-0

Latest posts