What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other games

Smug Panther

First Grade
The players ceiling, You won't replace an elite 9 on the market.

We could of re-signed Api but no way we keep To'o, Critter etc.

What did Api go for $700k? As a top hooker who covered 80 mins.

Egan is on say $400k plays 60 mins. So you need Kenny to go with that for $200k.

So have weakened hooker to save $100k

Luke is probably $100k
Kenny $200k

Realistically can match what Egan would give you. The savings used elsewhere Tago and May - who you likely lose in the Egan/Kenny double
I'd have no problem had we lost Critter and Kikau for Api but it is what it is

The real question is how many years would you have given the players. I think we all agree if it was 1 year (next year) it is worth the money bandied around for both players.

But they wanted longer deals (as is their right). How long should we have signed them for? I think Kiks might have another good year in him and then he starts to slow down. Api is probably really good next year and then good the year after. I think by the back end of their contracts they will be underperforming their contracts.

Iamback

Coach
The real question is how many years would you have given the players. I think we all agree if it was 1 year (next year) it is worth the money bandied around for both players.

But they wanted longer deals (as is their right). How long should we have signed them for? I think Kiks might have another good year in him and then he starts to slow down. Api is probably really good next year and then good the year after. I think by the back end of their contracts they will be underperforming their contracts.

I don't think Kiks will be a $800k player by year 4 of his deal but you could get 2 years out of him.

Api too is an 80 min hooker. Has been fairly injury free as far as ACL's etc go so you can drop his minutes back if needed so 3 years for him seems decent enough.

As for how to pay for it.

Kiks now is on $700k - So to only need $100k more.

Api is $450k - To get to $700k is $250k.

Staines was signed with a view towards taking over Edwards rumoured to be on $350k. So you replace him with someone on minimum wage there is the money.

As for Kiks - the cap will rise maybe you get the extra naturally if not. Spencer is on more than Minimum. Let him go if need be.

That locks in this starting side to atleast 2024 and it would push for 2 more GF's.. time will tell if it is a better option.

For me. I would of kept Api but atleast we have kept this backline in place who knows what it could become. A hooker may appear and I rate Lisati highly. So 2024 still might turn out amazing

Kilkenny

Coach
Assuming the Eels win tonight, and if the Broncos win tomorrow you have to think it is only 8th in the top 8 which is up for grabs. Perhaps a three way contest between the Dragons, Sea Eagles and Roosters for that 8th spot. If the Dragons beat the Bronco's the top 8 could almost be decided. Would be very hard for the Sea Eagles or Roosters to make up the difference.

Kilkenny

Coach
Playing like he is? 700k+
I couldn’t imagine he would be on $700k over the three years. That is serious money for a player of his age. Great player, but there are always some doubts once a player goes thru the 30 year age bracket. Maybe $1.8 million over the three years of deal I think that would be closer to the mark.

Iamback

Coach
I couldn’t imagine he would be on $700k over the three years. That is serious money for a player of his age. Great player, but there are always some doubts once a player goes thru the 30 year age bracket. Maybe $1.8 million over the three years of deal I think that would be closer to the mark.

Again how much is Cook on and will get? Elite 9's are very rare

maple_69

Bench
Id have kept Api at $700K x 3 in a heartbeat. Fine if it meant Leota/Leniu, Critta, and To’o walk. You put Jenkins and Turuva into the machine and you don’t lose too much. Smith and Hopgood into the pack, don’t lose too much.

Worst case you’re overpaying Api in his final year at 32 to be a bench hooker to Mason/Smith, but the kid is probably on $150K so your hooking tandem still isn’t absurdly overpriced. There’s every chance at the end of that contract we have 3+ premierships and 5 GF appearance in his 6 year stint.

Its the only call the clubs made in the last 3 years that I can’t agree with. Hopefully they prove a lot of us very wrong. If we navigate the loss of Api it’s a great sign that this is truly going to be a dynasty.

Latest posts