What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Origin III - Wed 13 Jul - QLD 22-12 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Queensland

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billythekid

First Grade
When they were being dominated they should've given the ball to Burton to kick the f**k our of the ball. The guy has the biggest boot in the game and barely utilised it

Yeah that was a strange move. Normally when a player just utterly fails under a high ball did like Ponga did on that first massive bomb they will get peppered for the rest of the game. It’s utterly bizarre that NSW never really went back to that.

KOMORI

Juniors
Lots of losers, AND winners, choosing salt and pointing a lot of fingers today in this thread. Fair enough I’m f**king filthy about losing the game and thought we had plenty of opportunities to get it won…. But we didn’t. End of story, the score is now fush n chup wrappings and will be as such forever….

However….

We just witnessed one of the greatest games of league in the modern era that I can recall: one of the greatest State of Origins EVER played, and I’ve not missed a game since the first one: I’ve even got Wombat’s jersey from that game and SOO has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember….

So maybe just appreciate that fact for a minute, stop nitpicking the details and just enjoy the fact that this game will go down in history and we enjoyed every second of the gutsiest performances of two great teams that fought themselves to a literal stand still.

Bravo QLD and NSW, you did ALL of us proud.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
When they were being dominated they should've given the ball to Burton to kick the f**k our of the ball. The guy has the biggest boot in the game and barely utilised it
lol one of his bombs went into touch IN HIS OWN HALF.

Queensland defensive pressure too good for both him and Cleary.

mave

Coach
Yeah that was a strange move. Normally when a player just utterly fails under a high ball did like Ponga did on that first massive bomb they will get peppered for the rest of the game. It’s utterly bizarre that NSW never really went back to that.

You do know who our coach is, yeah?

Pantherjim.

Referee
I don't believe Nathan would improve the current roosters team in any meaningful way.

I reckon DCE, Munster and Hughes would though.

Again, care factor zero.

Suits our club well, the competition ladder speaks for itself which is why we’ve got him signed for 5 years.

Wighton was the concussion reserve #18 or something. I guess you're allowed in the lineup.

Wighton had a case to be there instead of Chrichton or Talakai. A bit harsh to leave him out but he spent the intervening nrl match having a real stinker, might have cost him in the end. But he's the kind of balls out effort player who might have been handy.
OH ok , thanks mate. That explains it.
Yeah his form for Canberra was't good but he def would've stepped up more than those other two. They were in over their heads.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
If you could choose only one, would you rather Dragons win the premiership, or NSW win Origin?

Now ask the same question to a Queenslander (their club win the NRL or QLD win origin).
Apples and oranges but as a lifelong Cronulla fan who was raised in the Sutherland Shire, nothing and I mean nothing has ever meant more to me than that maiden premiership win in 2016.

I always said NSW could win Origin every year and however satisfying that would be, nothing would ever mean more than seeing the club I've supported since I was a preschooler in the late 1980's win a premiership and that 2016 win was far sweeter than any NSW Origin win.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its not comparable, a club premiership might be once in a lifetime.

Rep footy and club footy are two different beasts.
Id take watching England win the RLWC over my club winning a title. I've seen my club win numerous things, still waiting to see England win bloody something!

blaza88z

Coach
The most disgusting thing all night was Luai carrying on over the top of a motionless Selwyn Cobbo who copped friendly fire

He really is a thug, I reckon next year NSW will move away from this combinations theory because it’s clearly not the way forward. Too many Penrith passengers out there last night

Valheru

Coach
Again, care factor zero.

Suits our club well, the competition ladder speaks for itself which is why we’ve got him signed for 5 years.
Not sure what point you're trying to push here Jim

No one denies he suits the Panthers and that the Panthers are currently the best team in the comp.

Valheru

Coach
The most disgusting thing all night was Luai carrying on over the top of a motionless Selwyn Cobbo who copped friendly fire

He really is a thug, I reckon next year NSW will move away from this combinations theory because it’s clearly not the way forward. Too many Penrith passengers out there last night
Yeah we know Queenslanders wouldn't do such a thing

Reflector

Juniors
I disagree with almost everything your posting but this in particular takes the cake. Are you really going to call that desperation chip kick a 50/50 play? It was a hail mary that would be lucky to work even 10% of the time. There were plenty of good attacking opportunities in the game where Cleary could have made his stamp on the game but he failed to do so.
In that moment, what were his other options? Bomb it- waste of a kick. Attempt to kick cross-field for one of the outside backs- too much time for the Qld outside backs to position themselves and catch it. Besides the chip and chase his only other option was to go for a grubber. He needed a kick to go long, not high, getting it behind the Qld line (likely considering Ponga's habit of leaving an acre of room back there) and aiming for a NSW player to regather it.

Reflector

Juniors
Honestly the majority of NSW doesn't care. NRL is number 1 with Origin a fun mid season pantomime.
Totally disagree that the majority of the state doesn't care. As proven by the crowds and TV ratings in NSW even when Qld were in their golden patch.

Origin for me is (ideally) the most pure and honest form of footy there is. You're one state or the other and that's it for life. It should be about the best 17 available for NSW and the best 17 available for Qld testing their best against one another, let the better/ luckier team win. If it's a genuinely close one, fantastic. If one side gets blown out in a game or all three games, so be it. Back to the drawing board and come back next year. Sometimes your Origin team is awesome and sometimes they're going to lack talent/ cohesiveness/ experience/ effort...

Which is why I get so annoyed when outside forces intervene to make it more of a contest or get their beloved Decider (TM). I can't stand seeing what should be pure, honest footy bastardised for the sake of TV ratings and the sponsor's dollar. Thankfully I don't think it was the case last night, but I can't say the same for all 3 games this series...

beave

Coach
I'm an NQ club guy first and foremost, origin is a pain in the ass but a necessary pain in the ass.

But sitting at Suncorp last night, that was some enthralling shit out on the field, top 10 games I've ever been to in 30 years of going to games.

Blue where a whisker away in the last 3 mins, outstanding play by Hunt, kinda went all in on a pair of 4's with that play but f**k me it paid off. The roar at the joint was insane.

Both teams should take a bow for that game, awesome shit.

Now I just need my NQ boys to rest up and get ready for the home stretch of the club comp, would love to see them finish 2nd and set themselves up for the finals. The 4 of them last night were outstanding for QLD, Tommy Dearden shut a few people up with that display.

Game_Breaker

Coach
lol one of his bombs went into touch IN HIS OWN HALF.

Queensland defensive pressure too good for both him and Cleary.

I didn’t mention bombs
I was referring to when NSW were forced to kick out of their own 20. A bomb is useless

They needed a big kick downfield to give them some breathing space a few times

Game_Breaker

Coach
In that moment, what were his other options? Bomb it- waste of a kick. Attempt to kick cross-field for one of the outside backs- too much time for the Qld outside backs to position themselves and catch it. Besides the chip and chase his only other option was to go for a grubber. He needed a kick to go long, not high, getting it behind the Qld line (likely considering Ponga's habit of leaving an acre of room back there) and aiming for a NSW player to regather it.

I was thinking they should’ve run it
Bound to be some tired defenders somewhere