What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Origin III - Wed 13 Jul - QLD 22-12 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Queensland

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

some11

Referee
If you could choose only one, would you rather Dragons win the premiership, or NSW win Origin?

Now ask the same question to a Queenslander (their club win the NRL or QLD win origin).
It's not binary lol. Plenty of supporters of teams have celebrated both in a season.

Accept the loss and move on.

SBD82

Coach
If you could choose only one, would you rather Dragons win the premiership, or NSW win Origin?

Now ask the same question to a Queenslander (their club win the NRL or QLD win origin).
Of course I’d rather win the comp.

But I don’t think there would be anyone saying otherwise. As a pure numbers game, the odds of winning a two team comp vs the odds of winning a 16 team comp is not comparable. In Origin, even if you lose, at least you know your team will be in the mix next year.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Turbo is the best fullback, winger, centre, and possibly 5/8 that NSW has. As a blues fan it was pretty disappointing that I didn’t get to have him in the team that I support for 3 games this year.

Same could be said for Munster though. And QLD got the job done without him.
Queensland haven't had a full strength team since the 06-17 dynasty years. 2021 was probably the worst with injuries across first and second choice players resulting in the losses we saw.

Even this year - Welch, Cotter, Munster - all first choice players missing all or substantial portions of the series. Cotter was on track for a Wally Lewis Medal following game 1.

It sucks but seems to be the modern game, Injuries f**king galore.

Billythekid

First Grade
In that moment, what were his other options? Bomb it- waste of a kick. Attempt to kick cross-field for one of the outside backs- too much time for the Qld outside backs to position themselves and catch it. Besides the chip and chase his only other option was to go for a grubber. He needed a kick to go long, not high, getting it behind the Qld line (likely considering Ponga's habit of leaving an acre of room back there) and aiming for a NSW player to regather it.

Just like Walker in the Grand Final. You find yourself in that situation you roll the dice. Imagine if it had come off. He'd be the world's greatest player today, unchallenged.

I didn’t say it was the wrong play. At that stage of the game a Hail Mary play is about the best you can hope for. I’m saying calling it a 50/50 play is ludicrous even my 10% estimate is generous.

Yeah he would have liked like a hero if it came off, I won’t deny that but that’s in large part because it’s such a low percentage play.

On top of that my main point was NSW had plenty of good possession in the game to create tries long before that which our key play makers totally failed at.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
At least it's now clear what changes need to be made moving forward for NSW.

Matt Eisenhuth in for Junior Paulo. Jaeman Salmon in for Angus Crichton.
If the selectors do that they may as well put the entire Penrith team in there.

The huge amount of Panthers players in the squad was the reason we lost.

Same thing happened during Queensland's golden run when the Blues were stacked with Easts players.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Yeah we know Queenslanders wouldn't do such a thing

Both are very ugly incidents. IMO the key difference was that when Jai realised he immediately called for help. Luai so obviously knew (he's a stupid POS but not that stupid) yet he had no interest in providing any sort of aid.

mongoose

Coach
Exactly.

For my thoughts on Cam Smith (and they are well documented here, believe me) he was full of praise for the heart and effort of the NSW defence last night. Say whatever you like about Freddy but that kind of resolute, all-in pressure defence has been a hallmark of his tenure, going right back to that first series in 2018 where they shut down Qld for 10 minutes minus Jack Bird.

NSW were in it until the 78th minute last night despite effectively setting up tents, a generator and a fire pit in their own 20 metre zone- and without arguably their top 3 most lethal attacking players from last series (Fox, Turbo, Latrell).

Yet (as I said earlier) the influence of Origin kayfabe means we have some NSW fans here bemoaning a lack of heart/ shitting the bed when it mattered, but it really came down to silly errors killing any chance they had at going for a tiring Qld pack in their own half, and a Cleary clutch-play attempt that would've paid off 50% of the time and have Nathan right now hailed as Joey 2.0. Unfortunately for him, it was the other 50% of the time last night and so we're back to the "he's a hack/ goes missing/ overrated" comments Munster gets whenever Qld lose. Amazing how short the memories are from people who apparently follow the game so closely. Never forget, Darren Lockyer didn't truly hit his stride at rep level until he was almost 30. He was one series loss from getting dumped out of the Qld teams. I'm not a PENRITH!!! supporter but Nathan is the most promising #7 for his age I've seen in a long, long time. He's not even 25 years old yet. It's amazing to think what he could do from here. If I were a betting man I'd be going out today and putting $ on PENRITH!!! to go back to back- he's going to feel as if he has a point to prove after last night and (I expect) is going to channel that determination into the Panthers. He also has a great team around him out there, which helps massively.
I always remember Lockyer being a massive thorn in the side for NSW from 1998 onwards. He tore NSW to shreds in 2001, completely outplaying Fitler.

Cleary was poor last night in that 2nd half, his chip and chase probably had a 20% chance at best of coming off. He's not as bad as Pearce but he's no where near Johns.

Valheru

Coach
Both are very ugly incidents. IMO the key difference was that when Jai realised he immediately called for help. Luai so obviously knew (he's a stupid POS but not that stupid) yet he had no interest in providing any sort of aid.

That's one way to look at it.

It's not actually luai's responsibility to aid Selwyn in that situation. Morals dictate he should but he isn't obliged to. Standing over him wasn't going to cause harm.

Arrow was absolutely obliged to not touch Teddy let alone pick him up and slam him back down. He could have caused teddy severe injury.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
That's one way to look at it.

It's not actually luai's responsibility to aid Selwyn in that situation. Morals dictate he should but he isn't obliged to. Standing over him wasn't going to cause harm.

Arrow was absolutely obliged to not touch Teddy let alone pick him up and slam him back down. He could have caused teddy severe injury.
Absolutely, if he knew he was out cold. Jai was actually involved in the tackle, so had no idea till after the slam. Luai ran over to act like a gronk when Selwyn's condition was so evident. Jai was also honest and fair with his apology.

While I don't think that Luai needs to apologise, because he didn't touch Selwyn and as you say he's shown his lack of morality, however, he has since insinuated that it is the fans problem that he is seen as a thug, and they are not on the field so they wouldn't know. So IMO he is just gutter scum.

Last edited:

Howwy

Juniors
Queensland haven't had a full strength team since the 06-17 dynasty years. 2021 was probably the worst with injuries across first and second choice players resulting in the losses we saw.

Even this year - Welch, Cotter, Munster - all first choice players missing all or substantial portions of the series. Cotter was on track for a Wally Lewis Medal following game 1.

It sucks but seems to be the modern game, Injuries f**king galore.

Yep, sometimes I wonder if sometimes the training - and even the warmups - are at least a risk as the playing itself ...