What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Origin III - Wed 13 Jul - QLD 22-12 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Queensland

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reflector

Juniors
I always remember Lockyer being a massive thorn in the side for NSW from 1998 onwards. He tore NSW to shreds in 2001, completely outplaying Fitler.

Cleary was poor last night in that 2nd half, his chip and chase probably had a 20% chance at best of coming off. He's not as bad as Pearce but he's no where near Johns.
Cleary is 24. What was Joey's Origin form like at the same point in time (i.e, 1998?) I don't recall Joey really coming into his own until probably 2000 onwards. First time I saw him single-handedly turn a game was Game 2, 2000 off the bench wearing the #14.

Tweed Titan

Bench
If you picked Cleary up and dropped him into all the utter garbage NSW sides Pearce was a member of he’d have got his arse kicked too.

Cleary lost this series with 2 absolutely terrible games in game 1 and 3
His games last year in one and two and his game 2 this year far surpass anything Pearce ever achieved in Origin

Danish

Referee
His games last year in one and two and his game 2 this year far surpass anything Pearce ever achieved in Origin

Pearce was averag to diabolical in every origin he played while at easts.

He did set up a series winning try in game 3 2019 that was a better clutch play than Cleary has had in any of his origin appearances.

didn’t it take Cleary 4-5 rep games to snag his first try assist? Besides a couple flat track bully performances when the platform was already well and truly laid for him his contributions in the rep arena have been minimal.

billygilmore

Juniors
Exactly.

For my thoughts on Cam Smith (and they are well documented here, believe me) he was full of praise for the heart and effort of the NSW defence last night. Say whatever you like about Freddy but that kind of resolute, all-in pressure defence has been a hallmark of his tenure, going right back to that first series in 2018 where they shut down Qld for 10 minutes minus Jack Bird.

NSW were in it until the 78th minute last night despite effectively setting up tents, a generator and a fire pit in their own 20 metre zone- and without arguably their top 3 most lethal attacking players from last series (Fox, Turbo, Latrell).

Yet (as I said earlier) the influence of Origin kayfabe means we have some NSW fans here bemoaning a lack of heart/ shitting the bed when it mattered, but it really came down to silly errors killing any chance they had at going for a tiring Qld pack in their own half, and a Cleary clutch-play attempt that would've paid off 50% of the time and have Nathan right now hailed as Joey 2.0. Unfortunately for him, it was the other 50% of the time last night and so we're back to the "he's a hack/ goes missing/ overrated" comments Munster gets whenever Qld lose. Amazing how short the memories are from people who apparently follow the game so closely. Never forget, Darren Lockyer didn't truly hit his stride at rep level until he was almost 30. He was one series loss from getting dumped out of the Qld teams. I'm not a PENRITH!!! supporter but Nathan is the most promising #7 for his age I've seen in a long, long time. He's not even 25 years old yet. It's amazing to think what he could do from here. If I were a betting man I'd be going out today and putting $ on PENRITH!!! to go back to back- he's going to feel as if he has a point to prove after last night and (I expect) is going to channel that determination into the Panthers. He also has a great team around him out there, which helps massively.
Yeah well said, can't believe some of the stuff I'm hearing out of NSW fans, if that was QLD that lost after all that defence I wouldn't have been happy but I would have been impressed that showed that sort of heart when it would have been really easy to just roll over and let the flood gates open. The mistakes you can kind of understand after all that fatigue and pressure.

In saying that though, a few selections I couldn't believe, how the he'll did NSW not play Wighton? As a QLDer I was real happy he wasn't playing and Staggs? Can't really see what he's done wrong to not get selected, real something from nothing type player that could reek havoc in an origin match.

big hit!

Bench
The most disgusting thing all night was Luai carrying on over the top of a motionless Selwyn Cobbo who copped friendly fire

He really is a thug, I reckon next year NSW will move away from this combinations theory because it’s clearly not the way forward. Too many Penrith passengers out there last night

f**king lazy selections.

QLDs success with Brisbane combos, and then Storm combos provided a false belief. In reality, those combinations worked because those players were actually the best players in their position.

In Game 3, QLD had Ponga (NEW), Dearden (NQ), DCE (MAN), Hunt (SGI), Grant (MEL), rotating through the spine. Didn't hurt them at all. They were the best available players for the job!

When the decision for a jersey is made based on a 'combination' rather than attributes they bring, then you're half way to losing IMO. You're essentially selecting a lessor player.

I don't care if Crichton, Luai and Martin are the best 3 players each week for Penrith for the remainder of the year and before Origin next season. Firstly, those guys benefit greatly from the work of Edwards, To'o, Cleary, Yeo, Koroisau & Fisher-Harris. Secondly, there were better players in their positions.

Pick the best f**king players!

big hit!

Bench
Absolutely, if he knew he was out cold. Jai was actually involved in the tackle, so had no idea till after the slam. Luai ran over to act like a gronk when Selwyn's condition was so evident. Jai was also honest and fair with his apology.

While I don't think that Luai needs to apologise, because he didn't touch Selwyn and as you say he's shown his lack of morality, however, he has since insinuated that it is the fans problem that he is seen as a thug, and they are not on the field so they wouldn't know. So IMO he is just gutter scum.

Luai a thug? 😂 More like try-hard.

He got it all wrong the other night and clearly got caught up in all the biff that comes with origin. A smart & capable half would realise that even in origin, you let forwards and backs do all the aggro shit. His job was to keep his head and focus, steer the players around and build and convert pressure.

Reflector

Juniors
Yeah well said, can't believe some of the stuff I'm hearing out of NSW fans, if that was QLD that lost after all that defence I wouldn't have been happy but I would have been impressed that showed that sort of heart when it would have been really easy to just roll over and let the flood gates open. The mistakes you can kind of understand after all that fatigue and pressure.

In saying that though, a few selections I couldn't believe, how the he'll did NSW not play Wighton? As a QLDer I was real happy he wasn't playing and Staggs? Can't really see what he's done wrong to not get selected, real something from nothing type player that could reek havoc in an origin match.
As I said earlier that is probably the most bizarre thing. Plenty of Blues fans slating Freddy/ the halves/ NSW for a perceived lack of ability/ effort (notably seems to correlate with also supporting the Dragons/ Raiders/ Eels/ Tigers at NRL level) while the majority of Qlders I've seen, rather than just tugging their own dicks and claiming this as reason #23,543,767 why NSW "don't get it"- instead have arguably said the most positive things about the NSW team regarding their effort and execution on Wednesday night. I tend to agree with them, yet rather than getting accused of looking at the game through blue tinted glasses it feels like I've had the most disagreements from my fellow Blue Bloods.

I'm guessing Freddy wanted to keep as many players as possible from the team who won big in Game 2. He's also been big on club selections this series. But after 3 series it's enough time for an astute coach to recognise who needs to be part of this squad unless they absolutely cannot play (Fox, Turbo, Latrell) who should play key positions over club combo's (Burton at 5/8th over Luai) and which players are a "thanks but no thanks" at selection time (Gutho, Moses, Critta).

If Freddy/ whoever is NSW coach makes a list of the above available players and uses it as a guide to selection moving ahead, NSW as a whole can enjoy more stability off the field and more successful campaigns on it.

Stinkfinger

Juniors
I always remember Lockyer being a massive thorn in the side for NSW from 1998 onwards. He tore NSW to shreds in 2001, completely outplaying Fitler.

Cleary was poor last night in that 2nd half, his chip and chase probably had a 20% chance at best of coming off. He's not as bad as Pearce but he's no where near Johns.
A fair assessment at this point. Somewhere between Pearce and Johns. He still has plenty of time.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
At least when we do lose ( which hasn't been very often the last couple of DECADES) We don't say we don't give a shit and the club comp is all that matters
Well technically the NRL is all that matters.

As I said earlier NSW could win Origin every year and however satisfying that would be, nothing will ever beat the feeling of seeing one's club win a premiership and that 2016 premiership win was a million times sweeter than any Origin series win.

Someone2

Juniors
Cleary‘s kick to hunt is worse than Kimmorley’s intercept pass

he should have he’s card stamped to never player origin again

Latest posts