What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

The Great Dane

First Grade
hahahaha

we've had this conversation before & you cried when I exposed him last time too..
he said there were 1000 RL players in the ACT

hes a NFI wanker ...
I remember. You took a sentence from a book you've never read totally out of context, lavished it with a bunch of provably nonsense personal attacks, and tried to use it as evidence of some sort of conspiracy in academia to undermine RL.

So yeah, your exposé really got him lol.
I am from Canberra

&

you're as big a NFI wanker as Dr Fu.ckhead or whateva his name is
I doubt it. Living in Canberra doesn't make you from Canberra, and any discussions we've had on Canberra in the past has shown you to be totally ignorant of it's culture, people, history, and sociopolitical situation.

If you are actually from Canberra then you're so totally blinkered and/or ill-informed that your opinion is utterly valueless. Literally so full of shit that you can't open your mouth for the stink.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeh his tales are always amusing that’s for sure

imagine saying afl is almost as big as league now in Canberra.
In the 00s there were 2 AFL draftees from Canberra; Phil Davis in 08, whose family had to relocate to Adelaide when he was 14 so he could pursue a career in the AFL, and Jason Tutt in 09 who was born in WA and came from a family that is notable in the local Aussie Rules community.

In the proceeding decade there were 7, and a good portion of those 7 would have traditionally grown up to be RL or RU players. That number would be roughly similar to the amount of NRL players from the ACT in the last decade (probably roughly 10 depending on how you want to define from the ACT) and that trend of growth looks like it'll continue with the AFL looking to increase investment into the region. That number would also explode if the AFL were to expand here, which is a realistic chance of happening within the next decade or so.

That's basically a complete switch in fortunes from the late 90s and 00s, where RL and RU were poaching Aussie Rules juniors in Canberra, and I honestly don't know what more damning evidence for the AFL's growth in Canberra you could possibly want.

That's also without even touching the surrounding regions of NSW where RL clubs are dropping like flies. Whole parts of the Riverina, for example, that used to be hotly contested markets are now becoming hard Aussie Rules communities simply through a lack of competition.

The AFL's growth, both here and in Southern NSW, has also largely only been possible because of the NRL's complacency and neglect and RU's struggles. If the NRL put literally any meaningful effort into the region most of the AFL's growth wouldn't have been possible at all.

Last edited:
I remember. You took a sentence from a book you've never read totally out of context, lavished it with a bunch of provably nonsense personal attacks, and tried to use it as evidence of some sort of conspiracy in academia to undermine RL.

So yeah, your exposé really got him lol.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

like i said last time while you were patting your tears with tissues then D head
I didn't need to read the entire book
I'd read enough right there ... If he got that as horribly wrong as he did.. ya know .. the data

how much more data did he get wrong .. I'll bet plenty

I doubt it. Living in Canberra doesn't make you from Canberra, and any discussions we've had on Canberra in the past has shown you to be totally ignorant of it's culture, people, history, and sociopolitical situation.
hahaha
yea we have , all you've proven is you're an elitist wanker who thinks he knows everything about everything but in fact has NFI about pretty much everything & lives in his own personal bubble of superiority. The sort of person people studiously avoid because you'll bore them to tears with your FIG jam attitude.

but sure, keep telling us you're the only person who knows anything on these pages 🤣🤣🤣🤣

In the 00s there were 2 AFL draftees from Canberra; Phil Davis in 08, whose family had to relocate to Adelaide when he was 14 so he could pursue a career in the AFL, and Jason Tutt in 09 who was born in WA and came from a family that is notable in the local Aussie Rules community.

In the proceeding decade there were 7, and a good portion of those 7 would have traditionally grown up to be RL or RU players. That number would be roughly similar to the amount of NRL players from the ACT in the last decade (probably roughly 10 depending on how you want to define from the ACT) and that trend of growth looks like it'll continue with the AFL looking to increase investment into the region. That number would also explode if the AFL were to expand here, which is a realistic chance of happening within the next decade or so.

That's basically a complete switch in fortunes from the late 90s and 00s, where RL and RU were poaching Aussie Rules juniors in Canberra, and I honestly don't know what more damning evidence for the AFL's growth in Canberra you could possibly want.

That's also without even touching the surrounding regions of NSW where RL clubs are dropping like flies. Whole parts of the Riverina, for example, that used to be hotly contested markets are now becoming hard Aussie Rules communities simply through a lack of competition.

The AFL's growth, both here and in Southern NSW, has also largely only been possible because of the NRL's complacency and neglect and RU's struggles. If the NRL put literally any meaningful effort into the region most of the AFL's growth wouldn't have been possible at all.

jesus I didn't think it was possible for so much crap to be piled into one post

ah well
I'd retired him for a bit because PR was actually behaving himself ... but here I am
neimage7009191x.jpgeding to roll him out again

Perth Red

Post Whore

Why do you keep blaming the nrl? I thought raiders had a massive league club empire making squillions of $’s? If that’s true why arent they properly funding grassroots rl in the region? Why arent the raiders investing locally? What would you want the rl to be doing that they arent now? They’re funding an nrl club in canberra which is more than the afl does at the moment.

Why do you keep blaming the nrl? I thought raiders had a massive league club empire making squillions of $’s? If that’s true why arent they properly funding grassroots rl in the region? Why arent the raiders investing locally? What would you want the rl to be doing that they arent now? They’re funding an nrl club in canberra which is more than the afl does at the moment.
They ( the raiders) are properly funding the code ... ( its never been stronger ) in Canberra.
don't mind great dork , what he doesn't know could fill a dictionary

The raiders fund everything locally in RL in the canberra region
they have 3 full time employees & several part time ... paid by the raiders to the run admin for the code in the region. The development officers Sthn NSW/ACT are ARL employees. I understand this is done by unpaid volunteers in a lot of other districts but the raiders are well aware of the " other codes" in their backyard & know its is vital they stay on the front foot.
The NRL give the Raiders a grant of 13 million pa & a portion of this could technically be argued goes to running the code in the region but IMO should be getting more because they're in a unique situation.

Wb1234

Referee

There are 541 non-professional clubs in NSW:

185 clubs are based in various NRL affiliated districts of Sydney - The Penrith District has the most with 28, while the Roosters only have 3 district clubs.

356 clubs are located throughout regional/country NSW:

• ⁠North Coast/Northern Rivers - 60 clubs
• ⁠Newcastle/Hunter - 64 clubs
• ⁠Illawarra/South Coast - 44 clubs
• ⁠Central Coast - 22 clubs
• ⁠New England/North West - 30 clubs
• ⁠ACT & Surrounds - 32 clubs
• ⁠Riverina/Murray - 36 clubs
• ⁠Western NSW - 68 clubs

That’s actual clubs bro not auskicks blow hard bs numbers

Perth Red

Post Whore
They ( the raiders) are properly funding the code ... ( its never been stronger ) in Canberra.

they have 3 full time employees & several part time ... paid by the raiders to the run admin for the code in the region. The development officers Sthn NSW/ACT are ARL employees. I understand this is done by unpaid volunteers in a lot of other districts but the raiders are well aware of the " other codes" in their backyard & know its is vital they stay on the front foot.
The NRL give the Raiders a grant of 13 million pa & a portion of this could technically be argued goes to running the code in the region but IMO should be getting more because they're in a unique situation.
I often hear people say grassroots is neglected and needs more, but more what? I know in wa we only have two nrl funded development officers for the whole state which is ridiculous but I’m imagining in rl states there’d be a lot more funding? Nswrl get funded $20mill a year by nrl, where’s that going? So when we say nrl needs to do more what exactly do people mean?

one area I can think of is where there isnt a LC to subsidise club fees maybe the nrl could help out that region with funding kits, insurance, club field hire costs etc? If we could bring kids registration fees down from $300 to $50 or so that might help get more kids playing?

I think there’s only about 1000 amateur rl clubs in the country. If nrl gave every one of them a grant for $10k a year would that help? Would cost nrl $10mill a year but that’s relatively small fry on $500mill revenue.

Wb1234

Referee

I ignore most of that posters replies literally been posting rubbish for 20 yrs

i suspect he’s a fumbler or at least very sympathetic and also to union. Whatever the union team in Canberra is called can’t remember

Perth Red

Post Whore
And on another note if nrl clubs became more sustainable we would be able to spend much more LC funds on grassroots. For example last year bulldogs LC gave the nrl club $3.6mill to pay the bills and only $600k to grassroots rl. If bulldogs got their financial sht together then grassroots rl in the region could get much greater funding,

Wb1234

Referee
And on another note if nrl clubs became more sustainable we would be able to spend much more LC funds on grassroots. For example last year bulldogs LC gave the nrl club $3.6mill to pay the bills and only $600k to grassroots rl. If bulldogs got their financial sht together then grassroots rl in the region could get much greater funding,
You do this every time

if your argument is Sydney clubs don’t produce enough juniors then that counts against a Perth team even more,

the only way you can argue for a Perth team is to say there’s enough juniors now to support another club

I often hear people say grassroots is neglected and needs more, but more what? I know in wa we only have two nrl funded development officers for the whole state which is ridiculous but I’m imagining in rl states there’d be a lot more funding? Nswrl get funded $20mill a year by nrl, where’s that going? So when we say nrl needs to do more what exactly do people mean?

one area I can think of is where there isnt a LC to subsidise club fees maybe the nrl could help out that region with funding kits, insurance, club field hire costs etc? If we could bring kids registration fees down from $300 to $50 or so that might help get more kids playing?

I think there’s only about 1000 amateur rl clubs in the country. If nrl gave every one of them a grant for $10k a year would that help? Would cost nrl $10mill a year but that’s relatively small fry on $500mill revenue.

grass roots being neglected is a throw away line , there was nothing spent on grassroots 30 years ago , I think its just a whinge for whinge sake

NSWRL get paid to mainly run pathways in NSW , same as QLD do for players & officials
some LC's do what you're suggesting already
Souths Jnrs have since the 1960' s

& RL is one of the cheapest sports to play re registration fees as it is ... nowhere near $300
more like $150
probably heavily subsidised

Perth Red

Post Whore
You do this every time

if your argument is Sydney clubs don’t produce enough juniors then that counts against a Perth team even more,

the only way you can argue for a Perth team is to say there’s enough juniors now to support another club
Wtf you on about now? I’m talking about LC funding going to nrl clubs instead of grassroots rl.

Wb1234

Referee

pretty clear why nz2 is way ahead of any other potential team for spot 18

this is momentous. Another state vs another country

we can’t play internationals against Perth

Latest posts