What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

flippikat

Bench
Qlders want to see a return of the Qld based comp as a equal in parrallel to a NSW based comp

Solves a lot of expansion talk
Actually, the vibe I get is that the typical league loving Queenslander is generally broader in their thinking (interstate, NZ, Pacific Islands) than their NSW counterpart.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but just how I'm picking up on things here in NZ.

Canard

Immortal
Actually, the vibe I get is that the typical league loving Queenslander is generally broader in their thinking (interstate, NZ, Pacific Islands) than their NSW counterpart.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but just how I'm picking up on things here in NZ.

The BRL hasn't "existed" in reality since 1987.

The only people pining for it would be the over 50s boomers.

I love all the nostalgia and childhood memories of it, but almost all realise it's well and truly gone. Just like the North Sydney Bears, it's a relic of a bygone era.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They've put it out there already, perth need to create a bid now, unfortunately it seems like they want a corságe put on before wasting their time and effort lying about how theyll be a competitive force if let in, i have no doubt that perth reds would have been a success has they have not been locked under the arls payment plans, but back then there wasn't the professionalism in sporting comps as there is these days, and everything regrding travel costs is all underpinned nowadays, i reckon this consortium of rich backers is super gun shy... if they want a team its simple.... GIVE THE NRL SOMETHING THEY DON'T HAVE!!!!

PR if there is anyone more connected to the game in perth RL listening, get yourself the Easts tigers or Ipswich jets, etc to be your feeder club
Get yourself a proper roll out bid publically already, like Dumbass Dickson for Bears, or Andrew Hill for PNG, and protest all the things you say here on these threads....
Then to give the NRL and ARLC no choice but to pick you, throw in that your VERY RICH BACKERS are going to purchase a Private plane, specifically to be used for long flights for the NRLs pleasure (of course under pinning perths usage as primary) that sort out any travel costs for dealing with perth, townsville, auckland, melbourne, and SEQ.
totalling up enough money for an expansion team to pay for themselves, the only hitch is that there is fuel and maintenance cost regarding a plane, but that can get worked out...

i know PVL wants a plane specifically one just for the NRL, do this if you want the Reds back, so its a gimme statement and blows any other bid out of the water, should others come knocking
View attachment 64072
all nrl has said is it’s interested in club 18 once they see how the dolphins go. That suggests they won’t even look at it until 2025 at earliest and then if it’s anything like this time it could be a done decision and a short turn around for 2027.
We’ve seen this all before in 2011 when reds bid (who became pirates), cc bears and png all put very public bids together before there was even a call for bids, then were all made to look stupid when the newly formed arlc turned round in 2013 and said their wasting their time and money. I’d hate to know how many millions were wasted on that waste of time and energy. I spent quite an few thousand supporting the reds bid team.
No one really knows what’s going on behind the scenes and what conversations are being had. All we can hope is this time the nrl make the right decision for the game and don’t leave it to fox to decide what’s best for them. Perth or nz2 would seem to be the logical front running options and whichever consortium puts the most attractive proposition on the table will hopefully win it.
Be a shame if nz2 are best but dont get in because fox want perth, or if perth are best and don’t get in because skynz want nz2. as long as we get the best club for the future of the game to be successful then that’s what we all should all be hoping for.

flippikat

Bench
all nrl has said is it’s interested in club 18 once they see how the dolphins go. That suggests they won’t even look at it until 2025 at earliest and then if it’s anything like this time it could be a done decision and a short turn around for 2027.
We’ve seen this all before in 2011 when reds bid (who became pirates), cc bears and png all put very public bids together before there was even a call for bids, then were all made to look stupid when the newly formed arlc turned round in 2013 and said their wasting their time and money. I’d hate to know how many millions were wasted on that waste of time and energy. I spent quite an few thousand supporting the reds bid team.
No one really knows what’s going on behind the scenes and what conversations are being had. All we can hope is this time the nrl make the right decision for the game and don’t leave it to fox to decide what’s best for them. Perth or nz2 would seem to be the logical front running options and whichever consortium puts the most attractive proposition on the table will hopefully win it.
Be a shame if nz2 are best but dont get in because fox want perth, or if perth are best and don’t get in because skynz want nz2. as long as we get the best club for the future of the game to be successful then that’s what we all should all be hoping for.
...and that's the real stinker.

As much as the NRL Commission was SOLD to us as independent (remember the stories? We'd finally be free of News Ltd.. oh how we loved the sound of that!) - it AIN'T, or rather it sure as hell ain't BEHAVING as if it's independent.

LimeRick

Juniors
That scheduling re:Christchurch is an anomaly due to Covid though isn't it?

Maybe slightly, but not really.

Pre-Covid, Christchurch didn't host Rugby Championship games in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

The ABs only get three home games. Then they have to split up games between Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Napier, Dunedin, Hamilton, Nelson and New Plymouth. Auckland will always get at least one game, it looks like Wellington gets preferential treatment, too. So Christchurch has to share the scraps with five other cities.

MugaB

Coach
Nope they've already stated they are looking at other areas that aren't SEQ, (for the dolphins to set in) hence why NZ2 was brought up shortly after the dolphins were confirmed, and obviously not in NSW either (but that really common sense) obviously bears in the Nsw country didnt get the memo..
Anyways PNG have started, perth are way behind already, and bears are flipfloping

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ho
Nope they've already stated they are looking at other areas that aren't SEQ, (for the dolphins to set in) hence why NZ2 was brought up shortly after the dolphins were confirmed, and obviously not in NSW either (but that really common sense) obviously bears in the Nsw country didnt get the memo..
Anyways PNG have started, perth are way behind already, and bears are flipfloping
w do you know perth ate way behind? You have no idea what’s happening in the shadows.

Wb1234

Referee
Perth we’re told they need the bears to get a license

the arlc preference before that was nz2.

i can’t see why the bears couldn’t eventually join with the png bid given they can provide the financial backing (team 20)

as it stands it doesn’t seem Perth and the bears are as keen as before

end of the day nz2 offers more money from sky and also a 9th game for Australian tv as well

plus on top of massive juniors it improves international league

it’s a no brainer how Perth ranks vs nz2

Wb1234

Referee
Rmo
...and that's the real stinker.

As much as the NRL Commission was SOLD to us as independent (remember the stories? We'd finally be free of News Ltd.. oh how we loved the sound of that!) - it AIN'T, or rather it sure as hell ain't BEHAVING as if it's independent.
Removal of first and last bid rights was a massive win for the game

and rhe pay tv deals got a whole let better

until a cashed up competitor comes up there ie no alternative

Wb1234

Referee
Nobody knows anything and the decision won’t be made for another year or two in any case. Anybody saying that this or that location is ahead is essentially projecting their own bias
Perth best bet is to do a deal with the bears asap then go to the commission before they get other ideas like trying to get an nz bid

if it drags out it’ll be much harder for Perth to come in ahead of nz2.

with the end of year World Cup the value of another nz side only becomes more apparent

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nobody knows anything and the decision won’t be made for another year or two in any case. Anybody saying that this or that location is ahead is essentially projecting their own bias
Yep exactly, but let the bias show through lol

MugaB

Coach
Ho

w do you know perth ate way behind? You have no idea what’s happening in the shadows.
Hahaha shadow puppetry... yep keeping that dream alive, like i said before what is perth going to offer better than the other areas, who have already started to put bids together... if you think its just money and crowds, the ARLC won't back it, ypu have to remember they aren't expanding just for the 9th game, coz if that was the case easts tigers or jets in SEQ or the bears wherever will fill that void straight away, they want probable 1st grade players, not a team thats over 4 hours way, thats just going to strip more players away from the current talent pool already floating around the current NRL clubs, they alreadu have Melbourne storm and Sydney roosters doing that and even though redcliffe have signed up 20+ players from the current talent pool, they have a whole region of competitive juniors ready to replace that aging roster in a few years, perth don't have that