What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 19 2022 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Let's hope Dessie calls them into his office and gives them the 'what's more important, football or faith?' ultimatum.
Des is a smart man, he won't get offside with 7 of his best players over a jersey that they will never trot out again. He'll come out publicly and support their stance while taking a mental note for the future.

Rich102

Staff member
Bit silly really this stoush over the jerseys.
According to some of my mates half the team is gay anyway.

Blair

Coach
Des is a smart man, he won't get offside with 7 of his best players over a jersey that they will never trot out again. He'll come out publicly and support their stance while taking a mental note for the future.
True. Who gave that ridiculous 'footy or family 'ultimatum' to Lauititi again? Was it Watson or Anderson?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Personally, I can’t see why the blokes couldn’t just wear the jersey with the white stripes. I’m not into the religion caper at all but it takes some courage from these blokes to publicly take this stand knowing what comes with it

Blair

Coach
Watson, I think?
Yeah, that's triggered me, it was him. Bloody tone-deaf, ego-maniac. He called our club superstar, who was in a bit of a funk, into his office to 'give it to him straight'.

'Family or footy?' To anyone! Lest not a young Polynesian. We took a couple of years to recover.

JJ

Immortal
Personally, I can’t see why the blokes couldn’t just wear the jersey with the white stripes. I’m not into the religion caper at all but it takes some courage from these blokes to publicly take this stand knowing what comes with it
yeah, nah... sorry, no courage here, just at best a lack of IQ and large helping of hypocrisy given other shit associated with Manly - at worst, well that's rather obvious...

In saying that the club looks like they've handled rather poorly by not engaging with the players - still, just wear the jumpers fellas

yeah, nah... sorry, no courage here, just at best a lack of IQ and large helping of hypocrisy given other shit associated with Manly - at worst, well that's rather obvious...

In saying that the club looks like they've handled rather poorly by not engaging with the players - still, just wear the jumpers fellas
Its a hugely difficult situation, these guys have to go home to family who has certain beliefs and have stronger beliefs than they may have about the situation.
It is hard to put yourself in their shoes.

An example from healthcare is the anti-smoking campaign, it wasn't working with Maori and Polynesians like others when the message was you are doing yourself damages, every cigarette is killing you.
When the message was switch to hurting family, Aunties, Uncles etc it started to move the needle.

I don't envy the situation, but it goes a little deeper than just a jersey, just like a jersey isn't going to create inclusiveness, it seems to have done the complete opposite.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Watson, I think?
Mick Watson I believe.

On the Manly players, what a bunch of absolute hypocrites. They’re fine to play at Four Pines Stadium (alcohol) and be sponsored by Pointsbet, (gambling) but they won’t wear a jersey with some rainbow stripes? Bunch of cherry picking homophobes. Should be called into a meeting with Ian Roberts to explain it to his face.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Its a hugely difficult situation, these guys have to go home to family who has certain beliefs and have stronger beliefs than they may have about the situation.
It is hard to put yourself in their shoes.

An example from healthcare is the anti-smoking campaign, it wasn't working with Maori and Polynesians like others when the message was you are doing yourself damages, every cigarette is killing you.
When the message was switch to hurting family, Aunties, Uncles etc it started to move the needle.

I don't envy the situation, but it goes a little deeper than just a jersey, just like a jersey isn't going to create inclusiveness, it seems to have done the complete opposite.
You're 100% right on the last point. Manly have f**ked this up majorly. But not necessarily because they didn't tell everyone. There's so many better ways to do this, which Manly aren't doing. For example, apparently none of the funds raised from the jerseys are going to LGBTQ+ organisations. None of the club's players and staff (that I know of) are engaging with the public in this regard. They're not fronting campaigns, they're not getting the message out in any other regard than this jersey. Which I'm not saying can't have some effect, but without all the other stuff, it's useless. And as you say, it's actually counter-productive.

This whole thing has had a negative effect on inclusiveness. Which sucks. All it's done has been dropped into the media's hands, and social media, to blow it up in two different directions - for and against. Which only fuels the divide.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

the easy option would be to simply conform, avoid any public backlash, and play regardless of their views and beliefs, whether I agree with it or not, I stick by my comment that actually putting themselves up to this scrutiny shows some backbone

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I find it rather ironic with the whole episode that the people blowing up about inclusiveness etc, are quite happy to vilify and want to exclude a group from the game based on their cultural or religious beliefs

I see a comment above and plenty others calling them homophobes. Other than not wanting to wear a jersey promoting the cause, is there any evidence of any of these guys treating that section of society poorly and discriminating against them ?

Personally, I don’t stand one way or the other on it all. I’d probably get called all sorts of names because i did not and will not support men that go across and compete in women’s sport, such as the weightlifter at the last Olympics

Blair

Coach
Personally, I don’t stand one way or the other on it all. I’d probably get called all sorts of names because i did not and will not support men that go across and compete in women’s sport, such as the weightlifter at the last Olympics.
You're with the majority here, sensible people. I think we'd all be lumped together as transphobes!

Back to the Manly boys, they need to practice tolerance, the way the sensible majority tolerate them, with their conservative religious beliefs.

JJ

Immortal
I find it rather ironic with the whole episode that the people blowing up about inclusiveness etc, are quite happy to vilify and want to exclude a group from the game based on their cultural or religious beliefs

I see a comment above and plenty others calling them homophobes. Other than not wanting to wear a jersey promoting the cause, is there any evidence of any of these guys treating that section of society poorly and discriminating against them ?

Personally, I don’t stand one way or the other on it all. I’d probably get called all sorts of names because i did not and will not support men that go across and compete in women’s sport, such as the weightlifter at the last Olympics
The issue for me is the selectiveness of their cultural and religious beliefs - as has been noted endlessly, the gambling and alcohol are fine... so sticking with my bullshit line. Of course, in their heads their 100% doing the right thing, and I am all about free choice etc...

So now I am contradicting myself, and will soon spontaneously combust - I have no f**king idea - but I have no time for woke dogma, nor what they're doing, so resigned to not having a clue - but certainly don't see them as brave

Benek

Juniors
Does a colourful stripe on a jersey really go against anyone's religious beliefs? Can't they just pretend it's an innocent decoration and forget what it stands for and get on with the game?

And on the topic of whether they are homophobic... if you believe being gay is a "sin", then you're calling the whole LGBQA+ community sinners. That sounds awfully homophobic to me, even if they don't take further action on that stance.

The selectiveness around being fine with alcohol and gambling but suddenly having a problem with a rainbow stripe is highly amusing.

Reactions: JJ

Latest posts