What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistant Coaches Sacked

Dragon David

First Grade
The dragons have sacked Gentle and Head, Who do we get ??
This is what I wrote in the Rumours thread before you posted this thread justa.

So at long last the club has realised that both our assistants have been shit. These guys are the ones that do most of the ground work and facilitate in getting our players to implement their ways in defence and attack whilst Griffin, who relies on them, cops most of the blame.

I'm surprised that it has taken this long for the club to take this action but it is better late than never and hopefully the club will do their due diligence in getting the right replacements to assist Hook, not just anybodies but ones that can benefit our chances of being successful.

As Webb said - "We’re looking for the right structures supporting our coach in 2023,” - so look hard at the next selections Webb. This is probably the most important thing that has come out of the last meeting they had. It is something that we have known for ages that Gentle and Head just lack a lot of skill.

The likes of Barrett as our attacking coach could be one and I'm not too sure about the defence guy who will be very important to improve our defensive woes. Nonetheless, 2023 could be a year in which we will be rejoicing.

Old Timer

Coach
Had to happen so others in the football staff may be getting nervous now ( Timmins ? ) We HAVE to fix our defence first and foremost so get the best available. Use the same defence structures in KO Cup as well so young players are not so exposed when making their first couple of NRL games.
Far too sensible an idea to get any consideration.
I wonder if they have ever heard of "opposed" sessions?

SBD82

Coach
its probably not the answer to our problems completely but its a good start, any sort of structure that allows us to defend and attack better than what we have is an improvement
Forgive me for being cynical, but we’ve been through this over and over again.

The board and HC are the problem. Instead of addressing the real issue, the board makes the assistant coaches into scapegoats, and pacifies the fan base and media with a promise of change.

Rinse and repeat.

justadragon

Bench
This is what I wrote in the Rumours thread before you posted this thread justa.

So at long last the club has realised that both our assistants have been shit. These guys are the ones that do most of the ground work and facilitate in getting our players to implement their ways in defence and attack whilst Griffin, who relies on them, cops most of the blame.

I'm surprised that it has taken this long for the club to take this action but it is better late than never and hopefully the club will do their due diligence in getting the right replacements to assist Hook, not just anybodies but ones that can benefit our chances of being successful.

As Webb said - "We’re looking for the right structures supporting our coach in 2023,” - so look hard at the next selections Webb. This is probably the most important thing that has come out of the last meeting they had. It is something that we have known for ages that Gentle and Head just lack a lot of skill.

The likes of Barrett as our attacking coach could be one and I'm not too sure about the defence guy who will be very important to improve our defensive woes. Nonetheless, 2023 could be a year in which we will be rejoicing.
I really dont know who will be available Dave plus I dont know who would want to be AC's at the Dragons , My thoughts are Griffen would already have people in mind, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Ben Gardiner from the Tigers has been let go, I watched his interview after last weeks fiasco, he spoke very well and seemed to have his head in the game, anyway just my thoughts, ultimately it will be up to Griffin i'd imagine.

justadragon

Bench
Forgive me for being cynical, but we’ve been through this over and over again.

The board and HC are the problem. Instead of addressing the real issue, the board makes the assistant coaches into scapegoats, and pacifies the fan base and media with a promise of change.

Rinse and repeat.
Can understand your example, but when its highlighted that you are either responsible for defense or attack and your job is on the line, wouldnt the club or the media know that your structures are not the ones being implemented because the coach is too stubborn or set in his ways, I do know the board is the drama and we have all seen the coach issues over the last week, we cant do nothing about either , so if this is a step to maybe changing something for the better as in HC because he wont be able to blame others if things still go to custard then I'm all for it, what else can we do, we dont have a vote and our club is the plaything of Mr Gordon.