What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

_Johnsy

Referee
Sorry, it was obvious you wanted a fight so I gave you the opportunity for you to get it off your chest. Feel better ?
If you're genuine about wanting to understand why these players are refusing to wear the jersey you'll have to ask in a Christian forum. You won't find the answers on an NRL forum. Good luck :)
A fight? WTF 🤣🤣
Back to the original point, how are their beliefs being ignored, at least make sure your comments are accurate.

macavity

Referee
I'm sorry for the troubles your grandmother faced. That never should have happened.

But your original argument was about pacific islanders being forced to the back of the bus. Is there any evidence this ever happened ? Or was is total horse sh#t to suit your argument? If you wish to vilify a community at least make sure your comments are accurate.

I literally posted a link you half boiled potato

edabomb

First Grade
really well written article.

Frank Puletua made some great comments too, and very much needed in the echo chamber of 50something conservatives on NRL180. You get flogs like Paul Kent coming out and saying 50% of the comp won't play in a pride round with nothing more than a lazy, racially profiled viewpoint being assigned to them with no evidence backing it up. Plenty of people in the Pacific Island community are accepting of those in the LGBTQI+ community. If 5 or 10% of the comp want to sit out pride round then so be it, they won't be on the right side of history, much the same as the Manly 7 won't be.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

Frank Puletua made some great comments too, and very much needed in the echo chamber of 50something conservatives on NRL180. You get flogs like Paul Kent coming out and saying 50% of the comp won't play in a pride round with nothing more than a lazy, racially profiled viewpoint being assigned to them with no evidence backing it up. Plenty of people in the Pacific Island community are accepting of those in the LGBTQI+ community. If 5 or 10% of the comp want to sit out pride round then so be it, they won't be on the right side of history, much the same as the Manly 7 won't be.

As opposed to the 50 something, White males who made the decision?

Puletua is spot on in his comments. Education campaign is needed here and should of been the 1st step.

It is naive to think there are no gay men players but we had a referee come out, I can't remember any push back from anyone in the game. Female NRL players are out and again no push back.

I would get them part of the Education campaign too. All of this has more meaning than Manly wanting to flog off 5000 jerseys in the name of inclusion. Hopefully the game gets to that happy middle ground

edabomb

First Grade
As opposed to the 50 something, White males who made the decision?

Puletua is spot on in his comments. Education campaign is needed here and should of been the 1st step.

It is naive to think there are no gay men players but we had a referee come out, I can't remember any push back from anyone in the game. Female NRL players are out and again no push back.

I would get them part of the Education campaign too. All of this has more meaning than Manly wanting to flog off 5000 jerseys in the name of inclusion. Hopefully the game gets to that happy middle ground
Which is why I said 50something conservatives. Paul Kent gives Paul Murray a run lol.

Agree on the education. You can see how these early 20s footy players may have been in an echo chamber all these years coming through the football grades. Very little life experience as an adult, Manly had a role to play in educating them as part of the jersey initiative which they missed. Perhaps they wrongly assumed that in 2022 they didn't need to.

Iamback

Coach
Which is why I said 50something conservatives. Paul Kent gives Paul Murray a run lol.

Agree on the education. You can see how these early 20s footy players may have been in an echo chamber all these years coming through the football grades. Very little life experience as an adult, Manly had a role to play in educating them as part of the jersey initiative which they missed. Perhaps they wrongly assumed that in 2022 they didn't need to.

That is true, The only journos I want to hear comment is Andrew Webster as he is gay himself. Aside from that present the fans with both sides of the fence.

I see it as any other workplace. As long as the work is done no one cares about who is religous, Who is a dick or in fact who is gay. So in that regard front office probably assumed no one would care.

I don't think Manly is in isolation, 15 other clubs would have the same issue with players and fans having the same objections. So the fact it has come up hopefully starts the education that has happened for other topics

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So what happens to these fellas if they get injured next week and the only available surgeon or anaesthetist is gay? Refuse to be treated?

Frailty

First Grade
Your link doesn't even mention buses. You've mixed up Australian history with movies you've seen about African Americans, you absolute donkey 🐎🐎🐎
Yeah, that's a good point.

Except for the fact that whilst the link focuses on blackbirding, the publication explicitly states "Islanders were usually treated with discrimination similar to that faced by Aboriginal people." It goes on to use the example of use of the 'Black Ward' in Rockhampton Hospital, and also those with leprosy being incarcerated at the Aboriginal Leprosarium on Fantome Island whilst white people with leprosy were hospitalised on Peel Island.

Given the poster gave his own Grandmother's experience about being treated as an Aboriginal when it comes to the bus, as well as well known racial segregation in public pools, hospitals, pubs, and even in schools, I dare say there is more evidence that it happened than "nah, you're getting confused with America".

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
so unless there is a specific article about a bus, racism doesn't exist. righto.
Bruddah you specifically referenced people of Polynesian background being forced to sit at the backs of buses, then called another poster a 'half boiled potato' when he asked for evidence and pointed him towards an article with no mention of buses whatsoever. You're a knob who gets real life and American movies mixed up.

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
Yeah, that's a good point.

Except for the fact that whilst the link focuses on blackbirding, the publication explicitly states "Islanders were usually treated with discrimination similar to that faced by Aboriginal people." It goes on to use the example of use of the 'Black Ward' in Rockhampton Hospital, and also those with leprosy being incarcerated at the Aboriginal Leprosarium on Fantome Island whilst white people with leprosy were hospitalised on Peel Island.

Given the poster gave his own Grandmother's experience about being treated as an Aboriginal when it comes to the bus, as well as well known racial segregation in public pools, hospitals, pubs, and even in schools, I dare say there is more evidence that it happened than "nah, you're getting confused with America".
Cool, cool, cool... anything about Polynesians at the backs of buses? Sorry, but some Dutch woman sitting at the front of a bus isn't convincing me this story is true. You probably think Rosa Parks grew up in Toowoomba.

Saxon

Bench
I don't actually have a problem with what's happening in clubland - just with the media spin.

Club says "We support inclusiveness" - a bit poorly planned, but generally good on 'em.
God-bothering players say "Yeah, but our religion says that being gay is not pukka, we don't want to be seen to be supporting this" - a bit sad, but within their rights.

Media 1 "God-bothering players are homophobic scumbags" - not cool
Media 2 - "Manly are shitheads because they tried to make a statement about inclusiveness and didn't ask the God-botherers if they would be offended" - too woke for words.

But both sides of the media pale into insignificance compared to Izzy Folau "God hates homosexuals and you're all going to burn in hell". When the stupid bigoted f**k gets to the pearly gates St Peter is going to kick his ass downstairs asking him "didn't you read the bits about Love-thy-neighbour and the Good Samaritan?". Confused kids being told by a public icon that their thoughts are evil and their feelings are illegitimate? What a cockwomble.

Latest posts