What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do the Gold Coast bring?

dogslife

Coach
They've been in the competition since 2007 and they've won twice as many wooden spoons than finals games. They consistently have poor crowds, they haven't even bothered releasing membership numbers in the last 3 years probably due to embarrassment, and they can't attract any decent players not looking for a retirement pay day.

I often describe the Gold Coast as the place where sporting teams go to die. In a competition where we're struggling to find room for a team on the Central Coast, or Perth, or a second NZ team, why do we continually persist with the Gold Coast? The AFL are in the same boat, constantly pouring money into a franchise allergic to success

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
They're a waste of a license. The GC (the location, not the club) has no identity. It's a glorified tourist stopover, and the people that do live there are wealthy expats who already identify with some other place. Have you ever met a single person in your life who has told you "proudly born and bred on the Gold Coast, mate"? I'm betting never. The go-to leisure activities down there are nose beers, fishing, voting Liberal and breaking into cars. Not sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quality stadium
crowds better than some clubs who’ve been a round longer and are better on field
afl battle ground
large and growing population
strong jnr catchment base
have shown they can get big crowds
in recent times have shown they can attract big name players (tino, fafita etc)

they just need a decent coach and some sustained success on field.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Quality stadium
crowds better than some clubs who’ve been a round longer and are better on field
afl battle ground
large and growing population
strong jnr catchment base
have shown they can get big crowds
in recent times have shown they can attract big name players (tino, fafita etc)

they just need a decent coach and some sustained success on field.
100%
The trouble is everytime they build a solid roster of hard working team players, they go spend a fortune on a lazy selfish player.
They were going awesome before they bought hyane and they finally rebuilt just to blow it on fafita.
They don't learn.

Since the novelty of being the new guys wore off around 2011 they haven’t even sneezed in the direction of a premiership. Now just pay overs for dud players and broncos rejects because they struggle to recruit anyone.

To be fair it sounds a lot like us.

come 2027 I feel like the Dolphins could have a similar fate.