What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do the Gold Coast bring?

mongoose

Coach
They're a waste of a license. The GC (the location, not the club) has no identity. It's a glorified tourist stopover, and the people that do live there are wealthy expats who already identify with some other place. Have you ever met a single person in your life who has told you "proudly born and bred on the Gold Coast, mate"? I'm betting never. The go-to leisure activities down there are nose beers, fishing, voting Liberal and breaking into cars. Not sport.
The Gold Coast is more than just the area around Cavill Ave and Broadbeach, there is a suburban area that is growing rapidly that goes all the way up to Beenleigh and down into northern NSW.

Canard

Immortal
The Gold Coast is more than just the area around Cavill Ave and Broadbeach, there is a suburban area that is growing rapidly that goes all the way up to Beenleigh and down into northern NSW.

Yep, it's like saying I tried sushi once at the Nambucca Heads Servo and I didn't like it.

the citizens of the Gold Coast really embraced the Titans at first. It was almost as if it was the cool GC thing to do. But that wore off pretty quickly, as like what will happen with "The Dolphins", most potential Titans fans were casuals that would have fleeting interest. While the Rugby League fans based on the GC already have a team they support and are likely only going to the game Gold Coast play against their team.

I think with a generation of success, it's possible for kids to grow up as Titans fans. However, right now, they are a soulless club.

dogslife

Coach
I get that the Gold Coast is massive and getting bigger. The point I'm making is the Titans are trending in the opposite direction and have been for many years.

This Year?

Immortal
That area is exploding in population. I don't know anything about the local comps. Is there a GC team in the QLD cup? Is there some kind of pathway in place?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
What do they bring? Plenty of positives.
1. A presence in Australia's 6th biggest population centre in a traditional league area.
2. Decent crowds considering their mediocrity since inception.
3. Huge capacity to get better and gain more support both from fans and sponsors.

What do they do poorly which holds them back?
1. Poor branding. What the hell is a titan? Imagine naming your team because a pretty shit film was popular when you were coming into the comp. The only team in the comp with a colour on their name and they barely use it in their jersey or other marketing.
2. Horrific decisions re coaches and recruitment.

some11

Referee
The hinterland is nice, because it's far away from the cesspit that is the GC.

Also Beenleigh is a hole. Not a strong argument. Kingscliff is nice but slowing being gentrified into yuppie central.

dogslife

Coach
6 largest city in oz
Growing population
League heartland
Lots of juniors
Help make the qld origin side stronger

it’s the afl side that is redundant

op are you a dogs fan ? Cause that would be funny
So they've got all those advantages and operate as the only team in the market, and have done absolutely nothing with it. That's the point I'm making.

The Dogs have had a lean few years, but have also played in 2 grand finals in the last decade

BunniesMan

Immortal
A Gold Coast team here is like a Las Vegas team in the US. Something that sounds good on paper but those cities are just about the last places in each country that make sense for either a place to live for professional athletes or a place to develop sustainable fanbases.

What do they bring? Plenty of positives.
1. A presence in Australia's 6th biggest population centre in a traditional league area.
2. Decent crowds considering their mediocrity since inception.
3. Huge capacity to get better and gain more support both from fans and sponsors.

1. Poor branding. What the hell is a titan? Imagine naming your team because a pretty shit film was popular when you were coming into the comp. The only team in the comp with a colour on their name and they barely use it in their jersey or other marketing.
2. Horrific decisions re coaches and recruitment.
Their main colour should be gold/yellow to help distinguish their brand from everyone else.

"Titans" is a terrible brand, but it could work with some tinkering. The local representative team was the Gold Coast Vikings in the Winfield State League and the Tweed Heads Seagulls merged with Fortitude Valley Diehards in 1988 to win the BRL as the Seagulls-Diehards, so there is chance for the brand to work if it is tinkered with. The NRL should work with the Fortitude Valley Diehards and Gold Coast Titans to form a merger between the two clubs. It'll add history and prestige to the brand. Gold Coast Diehards with a gold, royal blue and white colour scheme would be better than the current crap they use. Diehards and Titans use a gladiator theme, so there is a link between the two.

flippikat

Bench
Not just that, but their MAIN colour is a light shade of blue, not very far from NSW blue.

The Titans should absolutely re-brand - logo, jersey, colours - Gold or Yellow as the main colour, and maybe orange as second colour.

Something like the Firehawks brand that Brisbane Easts were using for their NRL bid.

Could give two shits what people think about the GC as a location as that isn't the problem with the club.

The club went bust and the NRL took over, then sold it back to the previous owners. Seems like a vanity project for the current owners
Knocked it on the head there I think. The club itself is just very poorly run from top to bottom. They have no idea how to run a successful football club. They see it as their own personal business and nothing more, it's the reason they continue to make such poor decisions over and over and over again. How often do you hear of anyone on the board being scrutinized? Management? Never. It's always the coaches, assistant coaches, players, whatever. They're the ones that have to cop the blame whenever we're in this mess while the board & management retain their cushy jobs at the top. And that's not to say that I think Holbrook is a good coach; in fact from what I've witnessed this year I think he's quite shit and has ran out of ideas, but it can't fall solely on the head coach every time.

Our very own CEO predicted we'd be winning two premierships by 2030. What the f**k is this guy smoking? Has he even seen the trajectory of the club for the past 12 years? Absolutely clueless. Before we let Fogarty go, our General Manager came out on radio and openly said that Sexton would be our halfback this year, no ifs or buts. Clueless. Kid had only played a few games last year, but yeah let's just throw him in there as our main halfback and hope he kicks on with the bunch of plodders he has around him. She'll be right. No disrespect to Sexton but all he's shown so far is a good short kicking game and the odd cut-out.

There is so much talent coming through our lower grades it's not even funny. Many people don't seem to realise this. But which of them in their right minds would want to stay here under our current structure? We would be the death of their potential NRL careers. A couple of years ago a few of our guys just scraped through to make Origin, but this year Tino was the only one. Every single other player in this team has regressed. Many of them just look as though they're phoning it in, just happy to have a contract. The way of the 'Coast over the past 10 years.

I'm sick of our supporters treating our owners and the board as some kind of saviours to the club that cannot be criticized. That novelty wore off long ago. Either start making the tough decisions or perish, and at the rate we're headed it's the latter that's going to happen.

Finally, IBM can go and get f**ked. The irony of that post when the club he supports is 70% owned by f**king News Corp.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
They've been in the competition since 2007 and they've won twice as many wooden spoons than finals games. They consistently have poor crowds, they haven't even bothered releasing membership numbers in the last 3 years probably due to embarrassment, and they can't attract any decent players not looking for a retirement pay day.

I often describe the Gold Coast as the place where sporting teams go to die. In a competition where we're struggling to find room for a team on the Central Coast, or Perth, or a second NZ team, why do we continually persist with the Gold Coast? The AFL are in the same boat, constantly pouring money into a franchise allergic to success

They probably should have picked a second Brisbane side instead of Gold Coast but anyways the decision has been made. The population there will go up to a million in the next 20 years so there is at least some potential

Btw Why are you talking about the Central Coast. They would offer less than the Gold Coast and there would be about five or six options before you go to the Central Coast

Latest posts