What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 20 vs Canterbury @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 20: Newcastle v Canterbury

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
how are they being set up to fail?

Coach keeps moving players into different positions, no attacking structure apart from give it to Ponga, forward and bench rotation is horrendous. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

macavity

Referee
The score line has been very generous towards us. Never in it.

Our spine just does not create enough opportunities. We need two new spine players badly.

We are going to struggle to dodge the spoon. The Titans might just save us.

titans need to beat us and someone else.

don’t reckon they beat someone else… they have storm, sea eagles, dragons, us, warriors. They might get the warriors, but it is in NZ so would back them in to save us from a spoon.

Alex28

Coach
Players are being set up to fail and have quit on the coach. It's an easy fix if they make they right call on the coach
Parr has said there is no plans to get rid of the coach. Saying it literally every time you post isn’t going to change that.

I don’t even think you can blame him for this year. Blame the guy who released Mitchell Pearce - and that wasn’t AOB.

macavity

Referee
Coach keeps moving players into different positions, no attacking structure apart from give it to Ponga, forward and bench rotation is horrendous. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

so… they just don’t try?

pretty obvious they dont care anymore. No pride in performance.

perverse

Referee
Parr has said there is no plans to get rid of the coach. Saying it literally every time you post isn’t going to change that.

I don’t even think you can blame him for this year. Blame the guy who released Mitchell Pearce - and that wasn’t AOB.
To be fair, what else can he say right now? "Yeah, first thing I'm going to do is sack that potato salad you guys have coaching the team"?

macavity

Referee
By the coach and his structures. If you know they're not working and nothing changes you're hardly going to keep busting your arse

All the structures in the world don’t compensate for lack of effort. We aren’t winning any contact, the sign they have given up.

I feel sorry for AOB. By all accounts a hard worker. But he is trying to polish a turd here. We need a huge roster churn

Jono078

Referee
All the structures in the world don’t compensate for lack of effort. We aren’t winning any contact, the sign they have given up.

I feel sorry for AOB. By all accounts a hard worker. But he is trying to polish a turd here. We need a huge roster churn
I don't agree. I'm with slots here. Can argue chicken or egg first but I think coach is the main issue.

I've said for years now the players don't know their roles and what they should be doing. When you don't know or are confused it's hard to put optimum effort in. If instructions are clear for the individual and team then I'm sure you'll see them rip in.

Look no further than Jacob Saifiti and Ponga in origin.

We can be getting a lot more out of this roster. Everything I see is head coach related or worse further up the chain, but we've addressed that now.

perverse

Referee
You think Paul Green is a better option?
I'm not saying I have the answers, I'm just saying that what Parr has said in the media at this stage should be taken with a grain of salt. He's limited in what he can say, he's barely stepped a foot in the joint yet. I'm sure he'll do his own review and go from there.

I suspect any option is better than maintaining the status quo at the moment. But that's just speculating. Whatever is wrong, clearly the coach doesn't have the answers.

aqua_duck

Coach
I honestly don't envy any possible incoming new coach, in my opinion we are probably the worse coaching situation any new coach could walk into and a large part of that is the dumpster fire AOB has left thus far. Let's looks at the state of the playing roster thanks to AOB:
-Not a single 1st grade quality half signed for next year.
-Gagai signed up for another 2 seasons on good coin.
-Extremely injury prone hooker and fullback.
-Playing style has not evolved from the one out rubbish that was had been drilled into the team for the past 2 seasons.
-Team has zero resilience or mental toughness.
-3 of our highest paid players will be 30 or older next season (Frizz, Klem, Gags).
-Absolutely zero depth amongst the top 30 (or is it 29?) squad.

macavity

Referee
Lack of clear instruction doesn’t cause you to lose every physical battle.

The coach may be A problem. But we have plenty of others. They aren’t putting in.

No, we really don't

We have 4 players with origin experience in the pack. An Origin fullback and centre

Payton has proven that you can do a lot with an attitude shift and a focus on toughness, especially in defence

We lack standards and someone driving them, not cattle

Jono078

Referee
Lack of clear instruction doesn’t cause you to lose every physical battle.

The coach may be A problem. But we have plenty of others. They aren’t putting in.
I get what you're saying and Dom Young is probably your best example. A lad that wants to be the best and will try each play, each game to be better.

It's clear to see this team has given up because they don't believe in each other and what they're trying to achieve as a team. Coach's job is to get them believing and fighting for each other and make it simple for them to understand their roles in working towards the goal.

I see confused players who have never had great instructions or structures provided by AOB. Yeah we have some missing pieces and below standard players, but we're still capable of more. I mean we proved that to start this year too.

macavity

Referee
No, we really don't

We have 4 players with origin experience in the pack. An Origin fullback and centre

Payton has proven that you can do a lot with an attitude shift and a focus on toughness, especially in defence

We lack standards and someone driving them, not cattle

disagree

Ponga, Dom, Saifitis and Klem are quality.

the rest are not.

Frizz and Gags have both fallen off a cliff this year. Brailey has looked terrible since he come back too. Best is always injured and out of position in defence.

hard to find another worth feeding.

Elliot, Heatherington and the two poms are a start. But we need two first grade halves at minimum.

Latest posts