What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do the Gold Coast bring?

hrundi99

First Grade
A Gold Coast team here is like a Las Vegas team in the US. Something that sounds good on paper but those cities are just about the last places in each country that make sense for either a place to live for professional athletes or a place to develop sustainable fanbases.
Except for the Vegas Golden Knights who are a raging success, right?

dogslife

Coach
Well I mean the dogs have a leagues club worth over 100 million and puts in up to five mill pa into them.

the titans would love to have that and yet the dogs have been terrible for a decade

plus the new light rail is going to see the area boom up to the Olympics
the suns are receiving 28 million pa from the afl. The afl spent 30 million to get the management rights to the stadium (suns keep all the rent)

titans have received nothing extra from the nrl in comparison and are still holding their own against the fumblers
You literally quoted my post that said the Dogs made 2 grand finals in the last decade so please don't pretend they've been shit for that long.

Dogs have been terrible for the best part of 5/6 years due to poor salary cap management, poor recruitment and terrible coaching. Something the Gold Coast have been guilty off since inception. Something I touched upon in the OP.

All I keep seeing is what a great place the Gold Coast is, and how the population is booming, and what a great junior program they have, and how they're beating the AFL team in the popularity contest (despite that team having a doubly meager existence so far). Where are all these people? Why have they only averaged roughly 13,000 fans per game for the last 10 years when they're the only team in a supposed rugby league heartland? Why is their membership the lowest in the league? Why can't they hold on to any of these gun juniors? That was the point of this thread, I'd honestly like to know.

Colk

First Grade
You literally quoted my post that said the Dogs made 2 grand finals in the last decade so please don't pretend they've been shit for that long.

Dogs have been terrible for the best part of 5/6 years due to poor salary cap management, poor recruitment and terrible coaching. Something the Gold Coast have been guilty off since inception. Something I touched upon in the OP.

All I keep seeing is what a great place the Gold Coast is, and how the population is booming, and what a great junior program they have, and how they're beating the AFL team in the popularity contest (despite that team having a doubly meager existence so far). Where are all these people? Why have they only averaged roughly 13,000 fans per game for the last 10 years when they're the only team in a supposed rugby league heartland? Why is their membership the lowest in the league? Why can't they hold on to any of these gun juniors? That was the point of this thread, I'd honestly like to know.

There are plenty of teams who are averaging less than the Gold Coast are and a fair few of those clubs have had a bit of success over recent years. Manly, Roosters, Souths, Sharks to name a few. Why aren’t you questioning the existence of those clubs?

NRL attendances are frankly embarrassing and nobody should be pinpointing just one club. Only maybe Newcastle could you say are well attended based on population and other metrics.

In any case the reason for this thread is pretty simple: they have been mostly very ordinary. If they have the same amount of success as those other clubs I mentioned and their crowds and memberships don’t move then you might have a point

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep, just this week manly, dragons and Cronulla drew less than Gold Coast. Titans might not be great but compared to some continually under performing sydney clubs they aren’t that bad!

Dogs Of War

Coach

Titans really should be targeting members of other clubs. Say half price tickets if you have a membership of a club outside of seq. That’s where the nrl would need to step in to help promote that.

living on the Gold Coast for a while. You can see that the kids go for the titans while the parents still go for whatever club they used to go for.

Cheapest tickets to a titans game for an adult is $35 behind the posts. Family ticket behind the posts are $43 (1 adult + 1 kid) which isn’t too bad. But really the titans should be targeting more schools with deals going out a bunch of different schools each week say $10 family tickets to the end of the stadium they close off on match day. Just to get people to experience the day. It’s a great stadium.

As for the management of the club. It really needs a proper review. As a dogs supporter your more than aware of what Lynn did to the bulldogs. Well she set the ball in motion at the titans before that. At least we did a proper clean out. I’m not sure the titans ever did.

taste2taste

Juniors
To answer the original question, what do the titans bring?? Not much !
We'd be much better off with a team in Perth or south Island nz.

dogslife

Coach
Yep, just this week manly, dragons and Cronulla drew less than Gold Coast. Titans might not be great but compared to some continually under performing sydney clubs they aren’t that bad!
The Gold Coast is apparently rugby league heartland. They're the only team there. The population is 550,000. Sydney teams would kill for that kind of leg up

dogslife

Coach
As for the management of the club. It really needs a proper review. As a dogs supporter your more than aware of what Lynn did to the bulldogs. Well she set the ball in motion at the titans before that. At least we did a proper clean out. I’m not sure the titans ever did.
100%.

They've been a rabble off the field since inception though, and it's never looked like changing. Coupled with mediocrity on the field for much of that time, I ask why they should be allowed to continue to plod along when a team in Perth or the Central Coast can't even get a look in.

Colk

First Grade
Love it . How about you?
Just paid $400 to watch a game as a neutral, so yeh I kind of like it lol.

You said bog average entertainment that’s why I asked.

Yeah, love it. I don’t follow any of the other football codes really

Colk

First Grade
The Gold Coast is apparently rugby league heartland. They're the only team there. The population is 550,000. Sydney teams would kill for that kind of leg up

Do the maths. It is exactly the same for Sydney teams. 5 million people. Nine teams.

They have also had a 40 year head start on the Titans yet some Sydney sides like Cronulla or Manly still don’t have significant fan bases. Have a look at the Roosters. 20 years of continual success in a league mad city yet they are still middle of the road (being generous) in terms of support.

In any case, attendances are pretty ordinary across the board and frankly embarrassing when compared to something like AwFuL

Dogs Of War

Coach
100%.

They've been a rabble off the field since inception though, and it's never looked like changing. Coupled with mediocrity on the field for much of that time, I ask why they should be allowed to continue to plod along when a team in Perth or the Central Coast can't even get a look in.
Plenty of clubs plod for a period. It’s not like they didn’t have a string club at the start. But the club getting on the nose. NRL running them for a period. New owners not cleaning up what the nrl/Lynn had set up. Just means that nothing changes. They really need to target some good Administrator who is given the keys to fix the club. Cause until that changes you can’t fix anything else.

Wb1234

Referee

Well it’s been almost 20’years since the dogs won a comp

maybe if a roosters or storm fan made the thread it would be taken more seriously

Sydney has nine clubs maybe we can punt your mediocre club for Perth instead

oh and your juniors are a mess too

Reflector

Juniors
The GC bid was admitted for two reasons:

a) The population
b) A new Qld team

Problem is the demographics of the area. Not enough people with roots on the Coast or an attachment there/ too many people with loyalties to other more established teams with a history of success and a stronger identity. It's not a coincidence virtually every other top level sporting team on the GC has failed.

On a minor note, getting rid of the teal/ white/ orange colours when they binned the Dolphins mascot (rightfully so) was throwing the baby out with the bath water. That Miami Dolphins colour scheme would look awesome, and way more marketable than what they reverted to. The good thing is the Titans don't have a strongly entrenched brand identity, so they could change their colours back to the Miami scheme and it'd cause no more fuss than when PENRITH!!! reverted from the chocolate soldiers to the liquorice all sorts colours.

King hit

Coach
They're a waste of a license. The GC (the location, not the club) has no identity. It's a glorified tourist stopover, and the people that do live there are wealthy expats who already identify with some other place. Have you ever met a single person in your life who has told you "proudly born and bred on the Gold Coast, mate"? I'm betting never. The go-to leisure activities down there are nose beers, fishing, voting Liberal and breaking into cars. Not sport.

Yes I have met and work with people who are born and raised there. Everything else about your post is pretty accurate.

dogslife

Coach
Well it’s been almost 20’years since the dogs won a comp

maybe if a roosters or storm fan made the thread it would be taken more seriously

Sydney has nine clubs maybe we can punt your mediocre club for Perth instead

oh and your juniors are a mess too
Also played in 2 grand finals in the last 10 years. You like ignoring that I realise.

16 seasons, 1 finals win, gunning for their third wooden spoon. If a Sydney team was that shit I'd be questioning their existence as well. If the Gold Coast had even a sniff of success in that time I probably wouldn't make this thread

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nearly 6 million people, nine clubs. Do the maths.
Cronulla are sitting in third and can’t get more fans than titans when they’re playing another sydney club!