What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

colly

Juniors
wtf, no source? It literally says it in every news article on the extended deal lol

Total amount:
AFL chief Gillon McLachlan said the revised five-year deal with Seven for 2020-2024 was for $730 million or an average of $146 million per year for free to air rights.

$87mill saving in 20-22
Seven will receive a 19 per cent saving and a net benefit of $87 million over the remainder of the current deal through to the end of 2022 before the extended rights deal kicks in.

the rest is just maths, sorry if you cant work that out, I've done my best to dumb it down for you lol.
Sorry if your foolish enough to think a reduction or saving's are really what you think they are. Your dead wrong.
$146 million ave is just rehash of similar figures from the 2017-2022 six year (Six) deal.... Which was $900 million over six years with a contra of $60 leaving a cash component of $840 over or divided by six years , which gives you $140m (average) yearly..
Weasel word Dill never said anything about clawing back reductions and just gave a 5 year 2020-2024 average of $146m. Since your on the same plane as Dill, you read Dills fantasy's and they become you own. You think Seven nework would give back millions in reductions when they are taking Cricket Autralia to Court over a contact of $100p/a thats the Summer National Sport your talking about. Your been studying Dill so much you became one. Suggested course of treatment of your condition stop watching the AFL and start ragging them. Trust me, IT FEELS GOOD

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry if your foolish enough to think a reduction or saving's are really what you think they are. Your dead wrong.
$146 million ave is just rehash of similar figures from the 2017-2022 six year (Six) deal.... Which was $900 million over six years with a contra of $60 leaving a cash component of $840 over or divided by six years , which gives you $140m (average) yearly..
Weasel word Dill never said anything about clawing back reductions and just gave a 5 year 2020-2024 average of $146m. Since your on the same plane as Dill, you read Dills fantasy's and they become you own. You think Seven nework would give back millions in reductions when they are taking Cricket Autralia to Court over a contact of $100p/a thats the Summer National Sport your talking about. Your been studying Dill so much you became one. Suggested course of treatment of your condition stop watching the AFL and start ragging them. Trust me, IT FEELS GOOD
lol, sure they've made it all up, everyone's made it all up. That sounds highly likely. Lets go with that. makes total sense.

Pink Panther

Juniors
We all thought the internet would bring people together, but sadly it’s done the opposite. If you jump onto social media, it seems the platforms have enabled an outlet for the worst parts of human nature, with users constantly bickering and fighting over every issue imaginable, no matter how trivial.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We all thought the internet would bring people together, but sadly it’s done the opposite. If you jump onto social media, it seems the platforms have enabled an outlet for the worst parts of human nature, with users constantly bickering and fighting over every issue imaginable, no matter how trivial.
nothing wrong with differing opinions and good old debate. Used to do it down the pub, now its same just on a different medium.

Billythekid

First Grade
nothing wrong with differing opinions and good old debate. Used to do it down the pub, now its same just on a different medium.
This is a huge tangent but it absolutely isn't. Sure it's the same discussion being add but the scale is totally different. Before it was you and a few mates having a discussion. Now that same discussion can be broadcast to thousands if not millions of people. Also you're fed a constant stream of media that only solidifies your positions and drives wedges amongst those with differing opinions.

If you really think that social media is no different to chatting with your mates down the pub then you haven't been paying attention.

colly

Juniors
lol, sure they've made it all up, everyone's made it all up. That sounds highly likely. Lets go with that. makes total sense.
The bold section is of interest.
Take note:
Deal = deal for Corona Virus for the years 2020, 2021, 2022. Reductions for normal payments for these years only.
Contract = Refers to 2017- 2022 six year Contract which was interrupted three years in by Corona.
Extended Contract = Some from of extension of usually current or lapsed contract = means 2023, 2024 years
Additional two years= see above Extended Contract
  • Seven West Media (SWM) has signed a new deal with the AFL for the 2020 to 2022 seasons, and extended its contract to include an additional two years
  • The company is anticipating roughly $87 million in savings over the 2020 to 2022 contract period, mainly as a result of reductions to media rights and production savings
  • 2020’s AFL season resumed on June 11, with Collingwood and Richmond opening round two at the MCG
  • The remaining season will consist of 16 rounds with a four-week period of finals, culminating in a grand final on October 24
  • Seven West Media is currently 9.68 per cent down on the market, with shares trading for 14 cents each

So Seven signed a "new deal" for the years 2020,2021,2022 or Corona Virus, three years. Notice this labeled a deal NOT a CONTRACT. This would be the deal when Seven has had substantial money reductions.

So the contract now ( signed in 2015? ) between the AFL and Seven TV is for $840 cash over 6 years for average of $140 yearly.
So Seven was in year 3 (three) of their six year contract. ( Roughly $140m per year ) then along comes Corona, new "deal' signed' ( not new contract just a deal for the Covid 19, for years 3 (three years)
Negotiations open up between Seven and the AFL end with a signing of a revised deal ( Corona) and a two year extented contract. So the years 2017, 2018, 2019 of 'old' contract is extended by 2023 and 2024 years to make a five year deal using the original contract. the AfF have already received the 17,18, 2019 dollars. But that amount is added to the extended contract to make $740m over 5 years with a average of $146m.
So the reductions were just reductions
So NO $190m yearly payments next year from Seven
Seven will receive around $146m for the years 2023-2024

Perth Red

Post Whore
The bold section is of interest.
Take note:
Deal = deal for Corona Virus for the years 2020, 2021, 2022. Reductions for normal payments for these years only.
Contract = Refers to 2017- 2022 six year Contract which was interrupted three years in by Corona.
Extended Contract = Some from of extension of usually current or lapsed contract = means 2023, 2024 years
Additional two years= see above Extended Contract
  • Seven West Media (SWM) has signed a new deal with the AFL for the 2020 to 2022 seasons, and extended its contract to include an additional two years
  • The company is anticipating roughly $87 million in savings over the 2020 to 2022 contract period, mainly as a result of reductions to media rights and production savings
  • 2020’s AFL season resumed on June 11, with Collingwood and Richmond opening round two at the MCG
  • The remaining season will consist of 16 rounds with a four-week period of finals, culminating in a grand final on October 24
  • Seven West Media is currently 9.68 per cent down on the market, with shares trading for 14 cents each

So Seven signed a "new deal" for the years 2020,2021,2022 or Corona Virus, three years. Notice this labeled a deal NOT a CONTRACT. This would be the deal when Seven has had substantial money reductions.

So the contract now ( signed in 2015? ) between the AFL and Seven TV is for $840 cash over 6 years for average of $140 yearly.
So Seven was in year 3 (three) of their six year contract. ( Roughly $140m per year ) then along comes Corona, new "deal' signed' ( not new contract just a deal for the Covid 19, for years 3 (three years)
Negotiations open up between Seven and the AFL end with a signing of a revised deal ( Corona) and a two year extented contract. So the years 2017, 2018, 2019 of 'old' contract is extended by 2023 and 2024 years to make a five year deal using the original contract. the AfF have already received the 17,18, 2019 dollars. But that amount is added to the extended contract to make $740m over 5 years with a average of $146m.
So the reductions were just reductions
So NO $190m yearly payments next year from Seven
Seven will receive around $146m for the years 2023-2024
Haha you’re adding two and two and coming up with three!
I’ve told you what it actually is, believe it or don’t, doesn’t matter.

theyve literally said the 5 year deal is for 2020-2024 worth $730million. They’ve literally said the avg is $146mill a year. Theyve literally said the first 3 years are $87mill less than the avg. the rest is just maths that shows how it all adds up to $730mill. It is what it is, they did well.

Seems like deja vu - NRL getting screwed on TV rights and Stadiums and AFL potentially signing a monster deal with a very generous offer from Tasmania (including a new stadium) to join their code.

colly

Juniors
Haha you’re adding two and two and coming up with three!
I’ve told you what it actually is, believe it or don’t, doesn’t matter.

theyve literally said the 5 year deal is for 2020-2024 worth $730million. They’ve literally said the avg is $146mill a year. Theyve literally said the first 3 years are $87mill less than the avg. the rest is just maths that shows how it all adds up to $730mill. It is what it is, they did well.
If you could inform of a link that the Seven deal is backdated ( hugley backdated ) it would be great. As far as I know you are the only one ( very creative of yourself i must say) saying around $190 m coming from Seven to the Afl in the years 2023-2024.
I uspect you won't be able to supply such information, in regards to how I interpt the changing contract and deals this is from the AFL website itself. As you read it it's plain that for the cornoa years (3) part is separte form the two year rights extension 'contract'.

The AFL has announced it has reached agreement with its broadcast partners, Seven Network and Foxtel, on a revised arrangement for the 2020-2022 seasons as well as signing a two-year rights extension for the Seven Network.

How believable is on the early June 2020 when corona was in early/full swing that Seven would negotiated a substantial discount from the $140m a year contract down to $117 for three years and in the same breath ( these two, 3 year discounts of total $89m and in the same negotiations for 23/2024 amounts at the same time, say will pay $190m for the years 23/2024. It's more believable they Say ( Seven TV ) after the discounts we return to our normal payments ( which is the biggest network TV sports amount ever, beating the NRL )
I come down hard on this and I see why Dill wants to get out of dodge quickly, because their is no way 2023-2024 payments will add to $473 or $946m, two year deal. Their is no way they the AFL can change this -it will be their fated $946m OR a complete cluster *uck. I feel confident because your only way known to get to $946m is for the Seven to pay $190m p/a or $380m for the two years extension. Somehow I don't see Seven paying $380m for the two year extension.
So Dill being caught fiddling the figures, OR maybe he let the figure be bandied around without correcting it, I don't know but it show's his character as it would be know to him that $946m extension is taken as gospel in all the blatherings or main stream media . Only 17mths to know the truth which in Feb 2024 all will be revealed.
No more i retire for now till more information becomes available.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you could inform of a link that the Seven deal is backdated ( hugley backdated ) it would be great. As far as I know you are the only one ( very creative of yourself i must say) saying around $190 m coming from Seven to the Afl in the years 2023-2024.
I uspect you won't be able to supply such information, in regards to how I interpt the changing contract and deals this is from the AFL website itself. As you read it it's plain that for the cornoa years (3) part is separte form the two year rights extension 'contract'.

The AFL has announced it has reached agreement with its broadcast partners, Seven Network and Foxtel, on a revised arrangement for the 2020-2022 seasons as well as signing a two-year rights extension for the Seven Network.

How believable is on the early June 2020 when corona was in early/full swing that Seven would negotiated a substantial discount from the $140m a year contract down to $117 for three years and in the same breath ( these two, 3 year discounts of total $89m and in the same negotiations for 23/2024 amounts at the same time, say will pay $190m for the years 23/2024. It's more believable they Say ( Seven TV ) after the discounts we return to our normal payments ( which is the biggest network TV sports amount ever, beating the NRL )
I come down hard on this and I see why Dill wants to get out of dodge quickly, because their is no way 2023-2024 payments will add to $473 or $946m, two year deal. Their is no way they the AFL can change this -it will be their fated $946m OR a complete cluster *uck. I feel confident because your only way known to get to $946m is for the Seven to pay $190m p/a or $380m for the two years extension. Somehow I don't see Seven paying $380m for the two year extension.
So Dill being caught fiddling the figures, OR maybe he let the figure be bandied around without correcting it, I don't know but it show's his character as it would be know to him that $946m extension is taken as gospel in all the blatherings or main stream media . Only 17mths to know the truth which in Feb 2024 all will be revealed.
No more i retire for now till more information becomes available.
you do accept that the AFL Ch7 deal for 20-24 is worth $730mill dont you? Start from there then work it out lol.
If you dont believe the 23 and 24 deal is what has been publicly announced then you can make any sht up lol. Its tin foil hat stuff to believe a major public facing professional sport is going to outright lie abut the most important financial contract it has, but hey you keep on wearing it with pride mate.

colly

Juniors
Seems like deja vu - NRL getting screwed on TV rights and Stadiums and AFL potentially signing a monster deal with a very generous offer from Tasmania (including a new stadium) to join their code.
i wouldn't say that, in a little over 5 mths time the NRL enter a new contract, which is for over $400m dollars- at this stage the biggest amount ever for a broadcast deal ( the largest the AFL ever got was $397in 2019 ) so we top them.
Why don't you closely read what I put up. Don't believe everything the AFL tell you. Potentially monster deal starts like this.
Seven we pay $150m and have just like old days.
Foxtel we pay say $175m because we not making any profit when the Seven has the cities of Perth and Adelaide and others all tied up.
I don't see a compromise happening. The monster deal from 2025 will be close to what they are going to get in extension 2023-2024 , roughly $365m. not a monster at all.
Tas I couldn't care any way or another. As for stadiums, jury still out. I recon Com Bank stadium is great the visuals and drones footage during play is out of the world, as I say if we get one more stadium like Com bank which is still planed for Penrith, so I don't see that where losing up against the AFL. Don't foregt a brand new 50,000 stadium is just to be opened in Sydney at Moore Park.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
i wouldn't say that, in a little over 5 mths time the NRL enter a new contract, which is for over $400m dollars- at this stage the biggest amount ever for a broadcast deal ( the largest the AFL ever got was $397in 2019 ) so we top them.
Why don't you closely read what I put up. Don't believe everything the AFL tell you. Potentially monster deal starts like this.
Seven we pay $150m and have just like old days.
Foxtel we pay say $175m because we not making any profit we the Seven has the cities of Perth and Adelaide and others all tied up.
I don't see a compromise happening. The monster deal from 2025 will be close to what they are going to get in extension 2023-2024 , roughly $365m. not a monster at all.
Tas I couldn't care any way or another. As for stadiums, jury still out. I recon Com Bank stadium is great the visuals and drones footage during play is out of the world, as I say if we get one more stadium like Com bank which is still planed for Penrith, so I don't see that where losing up against the AFL.
again you're being disingenuous with your facts. The 2023 NRl deal is around an avg $402mill a year which includes at least $20-30mill contra. So the cash amount will be nearer $372-82mill minus the % increase accounting procedures so probably more likely it will be on the books as around $350-360mill.

The AFL's 2019 $397mill is by far the biggest annual cash payment by media to any sports code in this country. Same year we only got $324.5mill cash.
We might equal that AFL 2019 record by 2024 or 2025, but by those years AFL will have received around $450mill cash still leaving us well in second place. If only Vlandys hadn't agreed a $100mill discount for his mates at News ltd!

colly

Juniors
you do accept that the AFL Ch7 deal for 20-24 is worth $730mill dont you? Start from there then work it out lol.
If you dont believe the 23 and 24 deal is what has been publicly announced then you can make any sht up lol. Its tin foil hat stuff to believe a major public facing professional sport is going to outright lie abut the most important financial contract it has, but hey you keep on wearing it with pride mate.
No, the deal or contract which what it is, for yrears 2017, 2018 and 2019, whereby a extension was reached for the years 2023 and 2024, which make Five years stipulated in the press release for a average $146m p/a. Even the AFL press release ( which i referenced) reads the way i told you.

colly

Juniors
again you're being disingenuous with your facts. The 2023 NRl deal is around an avg $402mill a year which includes at least $20-30mill contra. So the cash amount will be nearer $372-82mill minus the % increase accounting procedures so probably more likely it will be on the books as around $350-360mill.

The AFL's 2019 $397mill is by far the biggest annual cash payment by media to any sports code in this country. Same year we only got $324.5mill cash.
We might equal that AFL 2019 record by 2024 or 2025, but by those years AFL will have received around $450mill cash still leaving us well in second place. If only Vlandys hadn't agreed a $100mill discount for his mates at News ltd!
Going down the contra road again, show me one , just one reference, whereby they show the contra amounts for the new NRL contracts, so your just speculating as usual without any referenced material to rely on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Going down the contra road again, show me one , just one reference, whereby they show the contra amounts for the new NRL contracts, so your just speculating as usual without any referenced material to rely on.
Contra in last NRL deal was $25mill a year, Ch9 have upped their contra payment by $5mill a year to $15mill a year from 2023. We dont know yet what the Fox and SkyNZ contra amounts are but going on the 2019 figures it came to $15mill. So Ch9 $15mill contra and if stays same as last time Fox/Sky NZ contra $15mill. Hopefully its no more than that!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, the deal or contract which what it is, for yrears 2017, 2018 and 2019, whereby a extension was reached for the years 2023 and 2024, which make Five years stipulated in the press release for a average $146m p/a. Even the AFL press release ( which i referenced) reads the way i told you.
no the deal was a renegotiation for 20-22 and an extension for 23&24. A 5 year contract worth $730mill. Sheesh! It can be spelt out any clearer than below!

Seven West Media announced on Thursday evening that a revised contract had been set with the AFL for the rest of this season and the remainder of the broadcast deal in 2021-2022, plus an extension of two years for seasons 2023 and 2024.

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan said the revised five-year deal with Seven for 2020-2024 was for $730 million or an average of $146 million per year for free to air rights.

colly

Juniors
The AFl have dined out on biggest deal(s) ever for many years. However that seems to coming to a end. From memory you have the AFL deal as such for 2023-2024

Seven Tv $190m Normally would be $146 p/a
Telstra $50m
Foxtel $233m
Toytal $473 for say 2023.

Well we discussed Seven Tv and I let the League Unlimited punters make up their minds, while It would have been the worst Seven TV negotiations in history if they went from $117m (corona) to $190m p/a or $380m two years.
$380 million smackroos, Kerry Stokes would sack CEO Warbutton for that.

And now w we move onto Telstra who didn't have the jollies to ask for a discount on their $50m. No change says their CEO Andy Pandy. What's no change about anyway. TEsltra signed A CONTRACT with the AFL for $50m for 6 years , totaling $300m. No small bickies, so again contract signed for 2017 to 2022 whereby the Tesltra contract ENDS. I have not heard of a new contract being signed as it would have to be press released with the ASX because a contract of over $50m would be grounds for possible shareholders ligation ( which occurs more and more these days) So we have Andy giving his details of what would come after 2022 when the yearly $50m give away ends. The Tesltra CEO says wait for it, 5g at Marvel and other improvements.. Like wow, no announcement of a new contract with direct cash transfers- nope. So now how is the $473m going without Tesltra $50m, looking decidedly shaky. So we have the Seven Tv inflation and now a Telstra phantom contract.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The tin foil hats are out in force today! Telstra signed a deal until end of 2024 with enhanced sponsorship and continued digital application management. From the horses mouth:

Telstra has today renewed its existing sponsorship arrangements with the AFL as well as extending it to include an enhanced focus on making Marvel Stadium one of the most connected sporting grounds in the world and a testing bed for Telstra 5G innovation.

The revised deal, which deepens the Telstra and AFL partnership that commenced in 2017 and runs through until 2024, expands the visual sponsorship elements such as on-field Telstra 5G signage, and continues the development of the AFL’s digital assets such as AFL.com, club websites and the AFL Official LIVE App. The updated sponsorship also deepens Telstra’s connections to AFL Clubs and extends the agreement with the AFL Players Association that engages all listed players as ambassadors for use in social marketing campaigns and other initiatives.

What's interesting in the Telstra deal is they are paying for much stronger access to players for sponsorship, digital product delivery and promotion of Telstra. I wondered why the payment to the AFL Players association had jumped so much in '21 ($37mill pre covid to $60mill last year) and that's why.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
No where does it mention a cash portion in that statement
yeh they are getting it all for free, taking $30mill of digital revenue from AFL, got increased sponsorship rights and the AFL just upped the players association payment by $23mill a year out of the goodness of their heart. Sounds plausible lol.

Latest posts