What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ2 - Which city/cities/region?

NZ2 - Best Location

• Christchurch

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Wellington

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Auckland 2

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Christchurch/Wellington split

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • South Island

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hamilton

• “Pacific” based in Auckland with links to Tonga/Samoa

• Other

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
What about South Island Roosters? I like the tattoo on the dogs emblem. Nice touch
Nah, Roosters are already manoeuvring to go north to North Sydney/CC. Look at the academies they've established. Shut the bears out of NSW for good.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I think South Island works fine for a Christchurch based club. If it means they sell more jerseys and get more tv views I’d be all for it.
Wellington for a Wellington based club, or Greater Wellington maybe. My friend (that lives there) was saying that many residents don’t get counted in the population figures because of the different council names.

MugaB

Coach
Nah, Roosters are already manoeuvring to go north to North Sydney/CC. Look at the academies they've established. Shut the bears out of NSW for good.
Hahaha what a lie, norths have had their area since the Northern Eagles merger fell thru, Roosters have been so inept to spread out od their little 4 club area, they had to travel to CC, i prefer bears back in at north sydney or Cc or both, than have roosters in sydney sucking up all of sydneys limited market... the fact you've thrown out slight insults of relocation of souths to png, and cronulla and bulldogs to south island... shows how delusional your little fanbase is....

.....personally Roosters to Adelaide suits the NRL and most sydney fans that aren't easts

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Hahaha what a lie, norths have had their area since the Northern Eagles merger fell thru, Roosters have been so inept to spread out od their little 4 club area, they had to travel to CC, i prefer bears back in at north sydney or Cc or both, than have roosters in sydney sucking up all of sydneys limited market... the fact you've thrown out slight insults of relocation of souths to png, and cronulla and bulldogs to south island... shows how delusional your little fanbase is....

.....personally Roosters to Adelaide suits the NRL and most sydney fans that aren't easts
Again, it’s all been jokes, bro. Relax your sphincter. I’ll let you have your whinge, mate; because you’re too pathetic to converse with.

MugaB

Coach
Again, it’s all been jokes, bro. Relax your sphincter. I’ll let you have your whinge, mate; because you’re too pathetic to converse with.
Pathetic is a club calling themselves "Sydney" when there's another 8 that share the same city with them... all coz they don't have many fans and need to broaden their hi browse appeal.... fk load thats done for them, won back2back, and still hardly anyone at the ground 2nite, or for the past 5 seasons (covid notwithstanding)

The Great Dane

First Grade
You'd turn people off by calling them South Island?
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard 🙄
Yep, just like, e.g., the AFL turned people off their second Sydney team by calling them Greater Western Sydney and playing games in Canberra.

It's broad to the point of being meaningless in the sporting context, and their representation of regions outside of Christchurch would be token at best. The team would end up with a confused identity where the people in Christchurch see the team as not being a team that truly represents Christchurch, and the people in the rest of the South Island would just see them as only truly representing Christchurch and not them.

In other words in trying to be everything to everyone, they'd only accomplish being nothing to anybody.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yep, just like, e.g., the AFL turned people off their second Sydney team by calling them Greater Western Sydney and playing games in Canberra.

It's broad to the point of being meaningless in the sporting context, and their representation of regions outside of Christchurch would be token at best. The team would end up with a confused identity where the people in Christchurch see the team as not being a team that truly represents Christchurch, and the people in the rest of the South Island would just see them as only truly representing Christchurch and not them.

In other words in trying to be everything to everyone, they'd only accomplish being nothing to anybody.
You're an idiot

siv

First Grade
The "passive fan" is 20 × the "active fan " as is the revenue...
Don't forget that a new team isn't just about engaging the fans of that team but also in some cases more so it's rivals. The Dolphins will create as passive opposition supporters as it will it's own. Another NZ team will be that on steroids. It will engage the nation on an unprecedented level.
Depends on what TV audience NZ gets today in NZ

Warriors dont rate on Oz channels very well

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

So New Zealand Warriors is too broad?

The Great Dane

First Grade
So New Zealand Warriors is too broad?
The Warriors are a fine example. What's their market presence like outside of Auckland?

I'll tell you now that in real terms it's borderline non-existent in most of the country, and I doubt that anything more than a relative handful of their active supporters live outside of Auckland.

Why that is is a complex question, certainly without a single factor as well, but part of it is definitely because of out of sight out of mind and the fact that under normal circumstances the Warriors presence outside of Auckland is token at best.

Obviously we don't have these numbers, but it'd be interesting to see what percentage of their members, ratings, etc, are from outside of Auckland, and to compare things like their merch sales in cities like Wellington, Hamilton, Christchurch, etc to other competitors.
I'd be willing to be that most, if not all, of those numbers are relatively insignificant compared to the business they do in Auckland, and compared to local competitors. I'd also be willing to bet that it's insignificant compared to the amount of business some of the larger Super teams (Crusaders and Chiefs in particular) do nationally as well.

BTW, They're just the Warriors, not the NZ Warriors. Have been for a few years now.

jim_57

Staff member
I didn't say they made it up, I said they 'exaggerated' and/or 'manipulated' it. The best lies have a kernel of truth and all that.

Their requesting more Saturday games is irrelevant from the point being made as well. Nobody is saying that they don't get more people on a Saturday because of travellers, they're saying that A. they're dubious about how they define traveller, and B. that those extra traveling people are largely irrelevant in real terms, and potential new clubs shouldn't necessarily hang their hat on a similar marketing strategy when other more targeted strategies could/would be more lucrative for them.

But we don't know exactly what they mean by 'travel outside their home community'. For all we know they could be going as far as using technicalities to include areas that are traditionally considered part of Townsville to bolster that number.

Furthermore, with the exception of Queanbeyan, none of the places I mentioned around Canberra are more than small towns. Some of them wouldn't even classify as that really.

The point is that people traveling from those regions to Canberra isn't unusual or impressive, in fact a lot of the people living in those places do it daily. However, if you were to frame it as "10% of the Raiders crowd comes from outside of the Canberra region", or the even more nebulous "10% travel outside their home community to attend Raiders games", it would give a false impression that lots of people are traveling far out of their way to attend games when that simply isn't the case.

I have little doubt that the same is true in the Cowboy's case. They want certain people to believe that roughly 1.5k people are traveling from Cairns and Mackay to Cowboys home games, when really the vast majority of those people are from the collection of smaller towns much closer to Townsville.

The real question is could the Cowboys be getting more than that extra 1.5k if they targeted their marketing in Townsville exclusively.

I don't really know (or care) in the Cowboys case, but in NZ's case I'd be willing bet that you'd turn more people in Christchurch off the team by calling them "South Island" than you'd gain from the other regions on the South Island, especially in active supporters.

Look all I’ll say is from my personal experience living & working in the area a lot of people and families used a Cowboys game and trip to Townsville as a holiday/getaway. Anecdotal of course but I could definitely believe the 10%.

Considering the population of Townsville in regards to their crowds I’d be more inclined to believe 10% of fans travel than roughly 10% of the entire Townsville population attending Cowboys games (on average). The only town within 100km of Townsville with more than a corner store, pub & a post office if you’re lucky would be Ayr/Home Hill population 12k combined. Also no I don’t think extra marketing in Townsville would make much difference at all considering the population. Obviously NZ is a different story.

Latest posts