What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan to half Amone to 5/8 Sloan to Fullback

You reckon Souths have no regrets over letting Reynolds go? Lots of people saying it was the wrong move.

As for letting the current Dally M leader go to not block the pathway of Bud "young talent on the rise", big gamble on what he has shown so far. I like the kid, and if he turns out with half the skills and talent of BHunt, he will have a decent career. If he shows that he is not up to it, not going to look like a clever move. If Hunt re signs and Bud moves on, the club has other talented kids showing potential to play in the halves who would jump at the chance to learn from BHunt.

dungay dragon

Juniors
You reckon Souths have no regrets over letting Reynolds go? Lots of people saying it was the wrong move.

As for letting the current Dally M leader go to not block the pathway of Bud "young talent on the rise", big gamble on what he has shown so far. I like the kid, and if he turns out with half the skills and talent of BHunt, he will have a decent career. If he shows that he is not up to it, not going to look like a clever move. If Hunt re signs and Bud moves on, the club has other talented kids showing potential to play in the halves who would jump at the chance to learn from BHunt.
Well Said
Just Hoping BH and other loyalists to Hook arent having stipulations in their contracts , ' that if hook goes so do we"
No matter who they are No One holds this Club to ransom

Smacka

Juniors
I don't want to see Sullivan go, but there is no way I would like to see the current Dally M leader halfback let go for a rookie 7 who has spent more time on the sidelines injured than on field. How long were we in need of a class halfback to lead us onfield? We have that now, and people are calling for him to be let go, unbelievable.
Cueing SBD82's response to my comment ...
My archaic view is that a contract should be met , end of story. Sullivan is legally bound to us. The Club has stood by him during his injury woes - nothing like a bit of loyalty - but the "promises" on offer by the Poachers may be too difficult to resist. The NRL obviously doesn't care about their own anti-tampering rules yet want to sook when a Government informs them they cannot commit financially to a previous "Gentlemen's agreement".
I'd love to see a Club test the Player contract situation in Court.

Budpower

Juniors
the magic is in Buds halves combo with Talatou, they work together like telepathic genius, alone they either wouldnt be as good...that is the extreme danger OF losing Bud....its only literally a year and Hunt will lose energy, hes getting on and MUST be either signed as a hooker or if Buds truly patient and loyal which Im sure he is, he bleeds red n white like us thats clear, and knows his top game is partner to Junior...so the tragedy , and for the whole league WORLD, it would be a tragedy, one, to split up that golden halves pairing so young without even letting them shine and live thier potential as stars in first grade, but if Hunt only stays here for longer as half, then retires or moves or gets too slow in say, one or 2 years, but thrn Buds gone....well we would gave severely shot ourselves in more than the foot for by then, Bud may have moved to another club to play halfback...but only to star for many years....with another club carving us aswell each game....while we would have kept Hunt, who by then would be too old and slow, so would be stuck if we even can find an alternative half decent half to replace him, while Bud RULES AND CARVES with another team for a decade or more! we MUST sort thus out before this unfolds, we all know Buds talent, if we lose Bud...there goes the blinding halves combo with Amone and seeing him carve for another team for YEARS would be our biggest loss far greater than Tallis or Cook etc....

Dragon David

First Grade
the magic is in Buds halves combo with Talatou, they work together like telepathic genius, alone they either wouldnt be as good...that is the extreme danger OF losing Bud....its only literally a year and Hunt will lose energy, hes getting on and MUST be either signed as a hooker or if Buds truly patient and loyal which Im sure he is, he bleeds red n white like us thats clear, and knows his top game is partner to Junior...so the tragedy , and for the whole league WORLD, it would be a tragedy, one, to split up that golden halves pairing so young without even letting them shine and live thier potential as stars in first grade, but if Hunt only stays here for longer as half, then retires or moves or gets too slow in say, one or 2 years, but thrn Buds gone....well we would gave severely shot ourselves in more than the foot for by then, Bud may have moved to another club to play halfback...but only to star for many years....with another club carving us aswell each game....while we would have kept Hunt, who by then would be too old and slow, so would be stuck if we even can find an alternative half decent half to replace him, while Bud RULES AND CARVES with another team for a decade or more! we MUST sort thus out before this unfolds, we all know Buds talent, if we lose Bud...there goes the blinding halves combo with Amone and seeing him carve for another team for YEARS would be our biggest loss far greater than Tallis or Cook etc....
I want Tyrell Sloan, Cody Ramsey, Matt and Max Feagai, Bud Sullivan, Talatou Amone to be in our team all of next year. I have a friend who has been talking to Sloan who said that he and the others know each others game and if one does something like make a break invariably one of them will be backing up. They have played footy with each other for absolutely years and they want to stay together. They do know their capabilities and they would like to prove it if given the chance.

If our coach, recruitment/retention guy and whoever else is making decisions on each player, do not make the right decisions, then we will lose possibly all of them and that would be devastating and I for one will not follow the Dragons ever again.

Mjab

Juniors
I know some of you guys love Amone but to be honest he has now played 1.5 seasons of first grade
I havent seen that much brilliant stuff from the kid
Certainly hasnt won us many games off his own bat thats for sure

Seems to a 1 trick pony with the big right foot step
Not the fastest 5/8 either
?No long kicking game , or not from what I can see , as a result Hunt has to do it 99% time and so an easy target for defenses
Short kicking game not that great either , especially against broncos I think he gave 3 x 7 tackle sets , just not acceptable

I havent anaylsed his defence so much

Walker and the new Broncos 5/8 look far superior players as is Dylan Brown at parra all young kids far exceeding Amone

As for Bud, just havent seen enough of him to comment.

Feagai solid , no pace and shouldnt be on wing , Sloan should at least be there on wing instead so gets use 1st grade , roaming commision so can get involved and at least have some pace and someone to kick to on the wing , just as ramsay has done prior seasons.

It will be a shame if Bud goes I suspect , but also seems quite injury prone

SBD82

Coach
Cueing SBD82's response to my comment ...
My archaic view is that a contract should be met , end of story. Sullivan is legally bound to us. The Club has stood by him during his injury woes - nothing like a bit of loyalty - but the "promises" on offer by the Poachers may be too difficult to resist. The NRL obviously doesn't care about their own anti-tampering rules yet want to sook when a Government informs them they cannot commit financially to a previous "Gentlemen's agreement".
I'd love to see a Club test the Player contract situation in Court.
Mate if you’re keen for a bit of shit slinging I’m happy to oblige. But it works better if you use the @ function.

FWIW I’m inclined to agree with you about contracts. Integrity and standing by your word is an important character trait.

Unfortunately we also find ourselves in a world where clubs are increasingly cut throat, and will happily cut players loose if they don’t feel that they are getting value. Respect has to be a two way street.

justadragon

Bench
I know some of you guys love Amone but to be honest he has now played 1.5 seasons of first grade

?No long kicking game , or not from what I can see , as a result Hunt has to do it 99% time and so an easy target for defenses
Short kicking game not that great either , especially against broncos I think he gave 3 x 7 tackle sets , just not acceptable

Walker and the new Broncos 5/8 look far superior players as is Dylan Brown at parra all young kids far exceeding Amone

Feagai solid , no pace and shouldnt be on wing , Sloan should at least be there on wing instead so gets use 1st grade , roaming commision so can get involved and at least have some pace and someone to kick to on the wing , just as ramsay has done prior seasons.

It was said that unlocking Amone revolves around Sullivan, and my feeling is this is still the case, he has made some improvement but then again we dont know what he has been coached to do, I do recall hearing that Hook coaches the footy out of players, as we have witnessed he is not a risk taker and I doubt very much if Amone has been given a free reign, Its just my perception, but there has been enough media outbursts to say that you cant just have one playmaker, to easy to shutdown, but then again we are the Dragons with a coach living in the seventies.

jeffdragon

Bench

Faegai has been good for us this year.

SEAT 1A

Bench
The young fellows are the future for the club however, the coach that was signed doesn't want to play them together and the club has put it's self in this mess.

Why, how or who is responsible in the club. We have been in a rebuilding faze for ten years.

Big tick for Chef Ramsey, Amone steady and Bud has had limited by injuries. Also, injuries hasn't been kind to us either, that's footy I suppose.

Change the coach who is willing to keep the young blokes together or keep Hook. What a time to be a Dragons fan.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

Are you forgetting who his coach is? Most players have seemingly gone backwards or done nothing special since he came. Amones very talented which is visible from his highlights videos but I get the feeling his more free flowing game is being stunted by fossil

slippery5

Juniors
Jayden said he is willing to wait another year but should Ben extend contract beyond 2023 then he will be asking for an immediate release, can't blame the kid for wanting to advance his career.
If Ben does extended contract and not willing to play 9 in 2024 then that would be quite a selfish act, so probably best he moves on after next year
It's best he moves on next year

slippery5

Juniors
I don't want to see Sullivan go, but there is no way I would like to see the current Dally M leader halfback let go for a rookie 7 who has spent more time on the sidelines injured than on field. How long were we in need of a class halfback to lead us onfield? We have that now, and people are calling for him to be let go, unbelievable.
The Bulldogs did a similar thing by opting for there ( at the time ) regular starting half in Anasta, so Thurston went else where Knowing he had another 10+ years to contribute.
How did that turn out ????

slippery5

Juniors

No I don't. They are storming home into the finals & they would not be able to compete with rivals offering the money that is on the table for Latrell/ Walker/Cook

The Bulldogs did a similar thing by opting for there ( at the time ) regular starting half in Anasta, so Thurston went else where Knowing he had another 10+ years to contribute.
How did that turn out ????
Question for you Slip

Say we didn't have Amone and in need of a 5/8. Cameron Munster and Phoenix Crossland are both available and wanting to play with the Dragons. Are you saying they should sign Crossland because he has 10+ years ahead of him?

Latest posts