What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan to half Amone to 5/8 Sloan to Fullback

twinkletoes

Juniors
Seems to me that we need to look at what is best for the team. Hunt has been outstanding this year as half, but the team as a whole has not done any better than in previous seasons. The hooking spot is a real issue. Therefore in terms of what is best for the team I would move Hunt to hooker and bring in Bud to halback. We have not really seen what he can do thus far due to injury and also not getting any real consistent chances. We'll never know until we give him that opportunity and to say he's shown nothing so far is ludicrous based on 1 full game against the Broncos and a few cameo appearances off the bench. The wraps are big on Bud so lets see what he's got.

To stay with the status quo will not result in any difference to how we play or where we finish on the ladder. I understand Hunt may not be happy with moving to hooker but we need to look at what would benefit the team the most.

To stay with the status quo will not result in any difference to how we play or where we finish on the ladder. I understand Hunt may not be happy with moving to hooker but we need to look at what would benefit the team the most.
Having the best number 7 in the comp playing halfback seems to me to be what would benefit the team the most. Replacing the best number 7 in the comp with a rookie who still has not proven he is ready for 1st grade seems like a step backwards to me. Sign a number 9, leave the comps best 7 at halfback....seems pretty simple to me.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Having the best number 7 in the comp playing halfback seems to me to be what would benefit the team the most. Replacing the best number 7 in the comp with a rookie who still has not proven he is ready for 1st grade seems like a step backwards to me. Sign a number 9, leave the comps best 7 at halfback....seems pretty simple to me.
Cleary
DCE
Hughes
Reynolds
All say high
one good year in 5 season EYES ROLL

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Some interesting comments on here, so I will add my 2c worth:
Hunt WAS the DallyM leader until it went into stealth mode. Comments from some in the media saying how can a player from a club outside the 8 win it. My guess he'll get 'pipped' on presentation night.
Hunt has been with us for how long now? And is having 1 good season, the rest have been, I would consider, average for someone who is paid royaly.
When Bud re-signed early this year, it was on the previso that Hunt would move to hooker. Apparantly, Hunt is now non-negotiating that request.
Further, playing hooker for QLD SOO is no pre-requisite for playing hooker at club level. One off games spaced weeks apart cannot be compared to week-by-week.
Another, factor is just to checkout the # of missed tackles Hunt makes each week. The game is divided into both atrack and defense.
What appears clear to me is that Hunt, for all the goid things he has done this year, and there have been many, has decided to ride the shirt-tails of that and hold the club to nothing less than ransom. Particularly staring he has 3 more years in him. We are now in the situation akin to FOMO just based on this year.
Bud is a very special talent, a long term, and possibly a one club player. Yes, he has had his fair share of injury, but I put that down to no game time and/or inconsistant game time. The body needs time to adjust and understand the rigours of NRL level football. Just ask the Dogs re: JT (and wasnt that they preferred to keep Rod Silva?)
My opinion is simple, let Hunt see out gis current contract, and base any re-signing talk on his form next year, not just on this year.
Responsibility also has to lay at the feet of Hook, who, at first, was doing a resonable job, but now I feel has slipped into, survivor mode (similar to Mc85), by selecting 'old faithfuls' in a hope they won't take the time required. Evidence there is a plenty with even Moga selected on the wing enough of a 'what the'! Whilst they have been serviceable, they wont win you the games you need to.
So, end result has to be the long term plan of the club and not short term feel good moments. Bud, Jr, Fox, Chef and the Feagais' represent that future. There is another very talented back coming through in Alex Lobb (just to name 1), all need to be a part of our long term future. They need experience and consistant game time. Not 2 mins here and there.
There seems to be a divide, which is widening, almost weekly. How to repair it, will require our management to make the tough, but right calls, sooner, rather than later.

SBD82

Coach
The best number 7 in the comp?

You don’t mean Hunt do you?

SBD82

Coach
Tongue in cheek, mate. As in Dally M votes/standings
Oh right. The Dally M’s.

I reckon if he wins it they might finally change the farcical Dally M voting system. It’s far too heavily weighted towards a decent player in a crap team.

No one in their right mind thinks that Hunt is the best player in the comp.

redVinme

Juniors
Question
Do you have an issue with the rumour that Ben decides what he does and where he plays? He's an employee not the employer and to me it's crazy so many people accept that he makes the call. Not our coac.Do you think that sets a strong set of values that no one else s bigger than the team? Do you think that him in career best for yet the dragons are still out of the 8 is a good precursor for things to come?

Teams move on their best player all the time in other sports. You need to be in building,competing or rebuilding and we are in the worst spot a team could be which is on the treadmill doing none of those things.

I'm glad Ben has found form shame he's hasn't for 3.5 years where we paid him top dollar to do f all.

Question
Do you have an issue with the rumour that Ben decides what he does and where he plays? He's an employee not the employer and to me it's crazy so many people accept that he makes the call. Not our coac.Do you think that sets a strong set of values that no one else s bigger than the team? Do you think that him in career best for yet the dragons are still out of the 8 is a good precursor for things to come?

Teams move on their best player all the time in other sports. You need to be in building,competing or rebuilding and we are in the worst spot a team could be which is on the treadmill doing none of those things.

I'm glad Ben has found form shame he's hasn't for 3.5 years where we paid him top dollar to do f all.
Rumour? I don't take rumours as 100% certainties. I do think that as captain, he has every right to discuss positioning issues with the coach, who does ultimately have the final say. And not just his own position, also that of any other players in his team. He is no dummy, he knows a bit about the game, and I can assure you he is not the only team captain in the comp who has a say on the makeup of their team. He thinks he best serves the team playing in the 7, and I agree with him.

And the money he is earning is not his fault. If they offered that money and he accepted, that is not on him. Do you think he is going to say during negotiations "sorry, but that is too much"

lombard

Juniors
Just reported on MMM Hunt close to agreeing to 2 more years not 3
Verrils still deciding between Dragons and Titans , but Dragons maybe winning the race....
I always thought it was a 2 year contract extension on offer but as we have him already for next year then he would be here all up for 3 more years.

redVinme

Juniors
Rumour? I don't take rumours as 100% certainties. I do think that as captain, he has every right to discuss positioning issues with the coach, who does ultimately have the final say. And not just his own position, also that of any other players in his team. He is no dummy, he knows a bit about the game, and I can assure you he is not the only team captain in the comp who has a say on the makeup of their team. He thinks he best serves the team playing in the 7, and I agree with him.

And the money he is earning is not his fault. If they offered that money and he accepted, that is not on him. Do you think he is going to say during negotiations "sorry, but that is too much"

That team make up that has lead to 11th position finish though? Where does the idea that he knows best come from other than watching him eat 40% of the ball each week and not allow others to get involved.

His past contract is not his fault. Bit his future one that may hamstring this clubs ambition to not be bottom dwellers only sits with him and out inept club. I love Ben I want him to stay but I don't want to throw our future away for the opinion of someone who will be what 33/34 before a ball is kicked on his new contract.

redVinme, where do you get the idea that he tells the club how much he wants to earn on his new contract? The club will make an offer on what they thinks he is worth, and to fit in with the cap. It is then up to the player to accept or not. Again, how is that on him? If another club offers more dollars, and he wants that, he will accept that clubs offer.

slippery5

Juniors
Munster is arguably the best 6 in the comp at the moment, but Bellamy didn't have any issues with putting him at FB for (a handful of games played) Johns on Thursday night, or why didn't Slater play Hunt at 7 ahead of DCE ???

Answer = It's to move your players around, to have your best 13 starting, or didn't you watch how dominant Hunt was in SOO???
If we put Hunt at 9, we might just have the comps best Dummy Half & a halves combination from a couple of players who know each others game, just like Cleary & Luai, who have played together through Juniors.
But you obviously have the same foresight as Griffin ( I will never refer to him as the coach ) ........