What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End promotion and relegation

Gobsmacked

Bench
It cant afford it. Reality is clubs are as reliant on the tv grant as they are in the nrl. Unfortunately the difference is in UK the TV grant doesn't pay much and isn't going up. So there's no money to bring in new teams.
Yeah I understand that. Like I said, as they become viable it would increase.
It a long term growth strategy Like any good business.
Someone that understands that should buy it.
At this point how could it possibly be any worse?
There's only 12 teams and 1 will be booted again in a few weeks 😔

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah I understand that. Like I said, as they become viable it would increase.
It a long term growth strategy Like any good business.
Someone that understands that should buy it.
At this point how could it possibly be any worse?
There's only 12 teams and 1 will be booted again in a few weeks 😔
It could be worse by diluting the grant through bringing in more teams to the point where clubs are no longer viable and go broke.

Gobsmacked

Bench
STABLE CONSISTENT COMPETITION !
leads to
HIGHER ATTENDANCE NUMBERS, HIGHER MEMBERSHIP AND HIGHER TELEVISION VIEWING.
leads to
MORE SPONSORSHIP, MORE ATTENDANCE REVENUE, MORE MERCHANDISE SALES AND BIGGER TELEVISION DEALS.

STABILITY:
MORE SUPPORT
MORE MONEY...
MORE TEAMS.

Gobsmacked

Bench
To put this in perspective.
You don't even know who's playing next year... but you're trying to sell it to fans and broadcasters 😳

If you want to sell something- at least know what you're selling.

I guarantee the next tv deal would be bigger if the broadcasters knew who was playing ( what they're buying) just to start with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
STABLE CONSISTENT COMPETITION !
leads to
HIGHER ATTENDANCE NUMBERS, HIGHER MEMBERSHIP AND HIGHER TELEVISION VIEWING.
leads to
MORE SPONSORSHIP, MORE ATTENDANCE REVENUE, MORE MERCHANDISE SALES AND BIGGER TELEVISION DEALS.

STABILITY:
MORE SUPPORT
MORE MONEY...
MORE TEAMS.
We’ve just had a period of no p&r and none of that happened. In fact the most succesful club of the last licensing period went bust!

Tigers1986

Juniors
Super League's future lies in a 16-team licensed system league. Have the 12 as they are now, then you'd think Crusaders again, Featherstone, London, Bradford, maybe an Irish team, who knows. The archaic small-minded approach isn't helping the league grow at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Super League's future lies in a 16-team licensed system league. Have the 12 as they are now, then you'd think Crusaders again, Featherstone, London, Bradford, maybe an Irish team, who knows. The archaic small-minded approach isn't helping the league grow at all.
Again there isn’t the tv money to do that.

Gobsmacked

Bench
5 years. but theres been longer periods in the past. Fact remains without promotion Toulouse would not be in SL this year.
Fact remains? No it doesn't.
They could have just been entered as a new franchise, probably about 20 years ago too!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fact remains? No it doesn't.
They could have just been entered as a new franchise, probably about 20 years ago too!
like Sheffield, London, Paris, Wales, Gateshead, Toronto?
Licensing brings a closed shop. Just like in the nrl in the last 2 decades where cities like Perth, Adelaide and Wellington cant get entry.
The chances of Toulouse having been admitted to this closed shop were pretty slim. Thy are a small club without much money and with a small fanbase.
At least with promotion they have been given a shot, they've not taken their chance. Shame but that's sport and no one can be blamed except for themselves.
Again though dont get me wrong, I dont like P&R but I've also seen the problems with licensing. For now it looks like SL is stuck with it so need to find better ways of making it work. Be interesting to see what the new investors in the game have to say about it.

Gobsmacked

Bench
like Sheffield, London, Paris, Wales, Gateshead, Toronto?
Licensing brings a closed shop. Just like in the nrl in the last 2 decades where cities like Perth, Adelaide and Wellington cant get entry.
The chances of Toulouse having been admitted to this closed shop were pretty slim. Thy are a small club without much money and with a small fanbase.
At least with promotion they have been given a shot, they've not taken their chance. Shame but that's sport and no one can be blamed except for themselves.
Again though dont get me wrong, I dont like P&R but I've also seen the problems with licensing. For now it looks like SL is stuck with it so need to find better ways of making it work. Be interesting to see what the new investors in the game have to say about it.
"Again though dont get me wrong, I dont like P&R "
So why the bloody hell did you advocate for it for 2 pages 🤦‍♂️

You're hard work mate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Again though dont get me wrong, I dont like P&R "
So why the bloody hell did you advocate for it for 2 pages 🤦‍♂️

You're hard work mate.
Because it at least gives clubs with ambition a chance. It has major problems and nothing worse if you're the club relegated BUT it does at least have the advantage of giving a club a shot if they are good enough.
Licensing brings stability but it also prevents anyone outside the chosen few a chance at the big time unless the comp decides its time to expand, which can take decades, or never. Clubs can bounce along at the bottom being generally sht without any consequence. Seasons can be over for some clubs weeks before the end of the comp. and so it goes on.
Both models have fundamental flaws to them when it comes to growing the game.
From a purely selfish view not having to worry about relegation again for the next ten years would be great. But having been a club stuck in the second division who would still be there without p&r I can see why it would suck.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Because it at least gives clubs with ambition a chance. It has major problems and nothing worse if you're the club relegated BUT it does at least have the advantage of giving a club a shot if they are good enough.
Licensing brings stability but it also prevents anyone outside the chosen few a chance at the big time unless the comp decides its time to expand, which can take decades, or never. Clubs can bounce along at the bottom being generally sht without any consequence. Seasons can be over for some clubs weeks before the end of the comp. and so it goes on.
Both models have fundamental flaws to them when it comes to growing the game.
Ofcourse it's all about pro and cons .
But the reality is, the cons far outweigh pros. The only real pro is a team can go up but pretty pointless if they go straight down.
I can't even come up with an analogy as pointless.

And keep in mind Redcliffe just went up through a licensing process but they didn't go up because they spent a heap of money on pros to win the Q cup!
They went up because they had great finances, great juniors, great pathways, great clubhouse, access to a great stadium and one of their own and they are in a large growing RL hotbed!
So yeah you can go up if you're good enough- good enough in all the areas that count.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ofcourse it's all about pro and cons .
But the reality is, the cons far outweigh pros. The only real pro is a team can go up but pretty pointless if they go straight down.
I can't even come up with an analogy as pointless.

And keep in mind Redcliffe just went up through a licensing process but they didn't go up because they spent a heap of money on pros to win the Q cup!
They went up because they had great finances, great juniors, great pathways, great clubhouse, access to a great stadium and one of their own and they are in a large growing RL hotbed!
So yeah you can go up if you're good enough- good enough in all the areas that count.
they don't have to go straight back down, sure its hard and the odds are stacked against them but HKR, Salford, Huddersfield and Cas have all been relegated, promoted and stayed up.

We've seen two new clubs enter NRL in 20 years. Licensing doesnt give cities without a club much hope. If there had been a second division maybe Perth, CC Bears, Wellington Orcas may have been promoted by now and be a success in NRL? Redcliffe got in because TV wanted them in, don't fool yourself that it was the best outcome for the sport.

Gobsmacked

Bench
they don't have to go straight back down, sure its hard and the odds are stacked against them but HKR, Salford, Huddersfield and Cas have all been relegated, promoted and stayed up.

We've seen two new clubs enter NRL in 20 years. Licensing doesnt give cities without a club much hope. If there had been a second division maybe Perth, CC Bears, Wellington Orcas may have been promoted by now and be a success in NRL? Redcliffe got in because TV wanted them in, don't fool yourself that it was the best outcome for the sport.
Why don't you look over who's had the wooden spoon over the last 20 years and tell me I'd be the best thing for the sport they were relegated....
f**king bonkers.

Gobsmacked

Bench
If relegation existed in the NRL over the last couple decades
Sides relegated:
Broncos
Parramatta
Souths
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Penrith
Cowboys
Roosters
Sharks
Gold Coast
Melbourne.....

And just to be clear, if Perth went and bought a bunch of players to win the NSW cup and be promoted..
They'd join the list!

Latest posts