What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Wizardman

First Grade
I heard the Nofoaluma interview yesterday......he was very non-committal about his future. I get the feeling it may well be a permanent move if Melb want to keep him. I don't think the Tigers would particularly care if he didn't come back...otherwise they would not have loaned him in the first place.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
From the same article. Sign him up for life FFS.

“I came from Souths where we played back-to-back preliminary finals. I’ve played in some big games. I also won’t walk out on the boys if we’re going shit. I’m a better human being than that. I’m not above the team.
Well we are definitely going shit. It worries me that he also said he won't make a decision until after the world cup. Sounds like he wants to think about it for a while and rightfully so.

Pay the rest of the team what they deserve. Most on the minimum pay and give him a motsa.

Fordy20

Juniors
I heard the Nofoaluma interview yesterday......he was very non-committal about his future. I get the feeling it may well be a permanent move if Melb want to keep him. I don't think the Tigers would particularly care if he didn't come back...otherwise they would not have loaned him in the first place.
Both Brooks and Nofo stuck tight with us during a bad time when they could have went elsewhere and experienced success. Now that we are entering a worse time, I hope the club does the right thing by them, honours their contracts and let’s them go to play for better organisations.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Both Brooks and Nofo stuck tight with us during a bad time when they could have went elsewhere and experienced success. Now that we are entering a worse time, I hope the club does the right thing by them, honours their contracts and let’s them go to play for better organisations.
I like your sentiment but we sure as hell can't afford to let anyone else leave.

The days of not paying overs or saying we don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here are well behind us.

They were never going to get the 2 points from the Cowboys game but the club, on behalf of every other club, showed up the NRL for the mess they are when it comes to the bunker.

If Sheens & Marshall cannot convince him to come to the Tigers, if he says no more than once, threaten him and his management with legal action, if they call the Tigers bluff, the Tigers should well and truly go down the legal road, this will be the revenge on the NRL that shows the mess they have created by allowing clubs to sign a player 12 months out and allows a player to pull out of contracts.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I just don't get it. How is it his decision?

Is he within his legal rights to sign a contract and then months later get out of it by saying he has changed his mind?
If he can't legally walk away the Tigers should keep him and put an end to players just being able to walk away just because a better offer comes up.

We need a statement from the club staying he is coming no matter what. He would then genuinely be able to forget about it and concentrate on his game this year,

Of course on past history a statement from the West Tigers about a player not going anywhere else would mean nothing but it would give us fans some hope in the interim.

Come on Lee let us know what the legal implications of all this means.

Tigerm

First Grade
I just don't get it. How is it his decision?

Is he within his legal rights to sign a contract and then months later get out of it by saying he has changed his mind?
If he can't legally walk away the Tigers should keep him and put an end to players just being able to walk away just because a better offer comes up.

We need a statement from the club staying he is coming no matter what. He would then genuinely be able to forget about it and concentrate on his game this year,

Of course on past history a statement from the West Tigers about a player not going anywhere else would mean nothing but it would give us fans some hope in the interim.

Come on Lee let us know what the legal implications of all this means.

The last bit from Lee?

Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis told SEN Breakfast on Tuesday he believed Papali'i would be at Concord in 2023.

“We will seek clarification today from his manager, but I don’t put a lot of stock into it,” he said.

“What he was trying to say, I think if I’m reading correctly, is that he wants to focus on this year with Parramatta which is fair enough. It’s well known that we enjoy a contractual relationship with Isaiah and we very much look forward to welcoming him to the club in 2023.

“I expect there will be phone calls made this morning for clarification – just to provide an opportunity for Isaiah and his manager to provide a little bit more depth to those comments. We are very comfortable with where we sit.

“If he wanted to say more, I’m sure he will – either himself directly or through his manager. I don’t want to read into his comments and I don’t want to create any angst between the club and the player.

“I’ll try and put the most positive spin on it and say he is focused on the rest of this year.”

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Papalii has obviously been advised by his manager to not commit either way in a bid to back out in the off season.

It would be very easy for him to just come out and say this is rubbish, I am coming and put it to bed once and for all. To say he was surprised Madge was sacked is ludicrous as he survived the review last year by the skin of his teeth and was long odds to stay past this season.

Bottom line, Parra made an offer, he refused. Tigers made an offer and he accepted and Tigers worked their team and cap around this acceptance. To sign a contract and then say you are "yet to make your decision", I would love to know where else on earth but on a Tigers contract this would be acceptable. If Lee wants to show off his legal skills, here you go son.

Looking forward to Papalii backing out, Tigers folding and ending up with a dud like Nathan Brown instead next year with the irony being taking Brown enabled Parra to stay under the cap and increase the offer to Papalii. Is it any wonder we have had a downward trajectory for more than a decade.

Just read a different take on it on wwos site. It's a lot more positive than the Foxcrap site.

He, Papali’i apparently has posted (yesterday).
‘They [@WestsTigers] signed on Benji, Robbie and Tim, I’m sure they understand what’s best for [the club], and I look forward to working with them.’

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Just read a different take on it on wwos site. It's a lot more positive than the Foxcrap site.

He, Papali’i apparently has posted (yesterday).
‘They [@WestsTigers] signed on Benji, Robbie and Tim, I’m sure they understand what’s best for [the club], and I look forward to working with them.’

I thought the best line in the article was a statement of the bleeding obvious.

"Presumably, there's one way that Papali'i could ensure that the saga doesn't remain "a distraction", which to many is the worst thing an athlete can do in a team sport - and that's to say he'll honour the deal he signed."

Best thing for him, his team heading into the finals and Wests Tigers is to confirm he will honor his contract to the Tigers and everybody gets to walk away from this issue with a clear head. If he doesn't do that this story will continue for the rest of the season. A definite distraction for him that has the potential to effect his performance.

Tigerm

First Grade
Well, it should be, he plays here or no where for 3 years, but who knows, though it’s all sounding positive again?
Agree though, Parra should be investigated to see if they are trying to coerce him to break his contract?

Tiger Ted

Bench
“It’s his decision” is a delusional statement when we have a watertight contract & we have a high flying lawyer as chairman.Seriously at my age very little surprises me anymore but even with our fkd history re being a soft touch in allowing contracts to be broken I’d be shocked if he doesn’t report to Concord with his new employer in early November.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Watching his interview has a completely different feel to reading it. He seems like a decent young man. I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with his manager than him and if his manager had said "Look, you have signed a contract. It is a done deal" we would not have been hearing anything else about it.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Latest from the SMH

Surprise, surprise. He wants out of his contract for personal reasons.

"Sources with knowledge of the situation have told the Herald that Papali’i is keen to return to his home city of Auckland for family reasons. The 23-year-old’s partner, netballer Elle Temu, lives in New Zealand and the pair have been separated during the footballer’s two-year stint with the blue and golds."

Now the bad news for the Tigers that he and his partner never gave it any thought when he signed the contract. This argument wins out pretty much every time. Congrats to his manager for coming up with this gem.

The good news is " The Eels would like to retain Papali’i, but are resigned to losing him and are considering contingency plans."

Maybe a contingency plan would be let him go to the Warriors for a season and then return to the Eels for personal reasons.

Having said he doesn't want to make a decision until the end of the season so he can concentrate on footy he is now going to be mega distracted until it is finaly put to bed.

The whole thing is a bit of a joke that just is not funny.

Tiger05

First Grade
That is pretty shit. I think we have a contract though and we've acted on that contract via releasing 3 second rowers.

Unfortunately we can't budge on this issue.

Maybe his girlfriend can join the Sydney Swifts.

Latest posts