What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Pantherjim.

Referee
11 year olds know right from wrong.

See my response to your other post.

did you call a disabled child a spastic? Would you think that was ok?

I didn’t personally, but disabled kids were fair game as far as my 11 year old peers were concerned. I didn’t think it was right at the time, but my 11 year old brain certainly found it amusing.

As an adult today, of course I find it reprehensible, but then we were just stupid kids at the time.

macavity

Referee
Haha, no they don't. I'm a high school teacher, particularly boys have no f**king idea what is right from wrong, especially in emotionally-charged moments. Their pre-frontal cortex (decision making part of brain) is not developed and they do, and say dumb shit. Some more than others.

Kids call people gay, spastic, ugly, retarted all the day as part of their every day vernacular.

Ok so if he did that, say to a disabled child, would he now know it is wrong?

Or you know, kicking someone in the cods, would he know that was wrong?

or do some just never develop that pre-frontal cortex?

macavity

Referee
See my response to your other post.

I didn’t personally, but disabled kids were fair game for my 11 year old peers. I didn’t think it was right at the time, but my 11 year old brain certainly found it amusing.

As an adult today, of course I find it reprehensible, but then we were just stupid kids at the time.

Difference between you and a lot of other people. A lot stood up for the disabled kids. Guess we had better parents.

macavity

Referee
Should ever player list all the grub stuff they did in Primary School?

I’m up for it, I’m a Knights supporter not one of those pricks has shown any sort of aggression in their lives

and at any rate, there’s a difference between normal school yard stupidity and bullying a disabled child

mxlegend99

Referee
11 year olds know right from wrong.

did you call a disabled child a spastic? Would you think that was ok?
Im 36 now. So im a decade before Salmon and then some.

But when i was 11 kids called each other spastics, ret@rds, speds, Gay, androtops, poofs etc. Hell f**king tv shows And movies normalised these words as jokes.

The kids saying this didn't care about what these words truly meant. These words to 11 year olds were just insults in the same vein as calling someone an idiot, dickhead, moron etc. Without risking being in trouble for swearing.

Times have changed a lot. Whats politically incorrect today is very different to what was politically incorrect 10 years ago. And 20 years ago etc. We can all look back at shit that back then due to age or the era seemed harmless... But now doesn't.

Its definitely shit that any disabled person or family members of them has to hear these insults and i can understand them hurting more. But when they're being used by a young dumb pre-teen kid who has no idea what he's actually saying .. you don't hold a 10 year grudge as a 55 year old man and throw insults at people for who they were as a f**king kid and now.

macavity

Referee
Im 36 now. So im a decade before Salmon and then some.

But when i was 11 kids called each other spastics, ret@rds, speds, Gay, androtops, poofs etc. Hell f**king tv shows And movies normalised these words as jokes.

The kids saying this didn't care about what these words truly meant. These words to 11 year olds were just insults in the same vein as calling someone an idiot, dickhead, moron etc. Without risking being in trouble for swearing.

Times have changed a lot. Whats politically incorrect today is very different to what was politically incorrect 10 years ago. And 20 years ago etc. We can all look back at shit that back then due to age or the era seemed harmless... But now doesn't.

Its definitely shit that any disabled person or family members of them has to hear these insults and i can understand them hurting more. But when they're being used by a young dumb pre-teen kid who has no idea what he's actually saying .. you don't hold a 10 year grudge as a 55 year old man and throw insults at people for who they were as a f**king kid and now.

I would suggest it wasn’t an off hand clumsy insult that has led to this situation.

People acting like Ricky just carried a grudge for 10 years because of school yard banter.

Just let Jaeman tell his side of the story.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Difference between you and a lot of other people. A lot stood up for the disabled kids. Guess we had better parents.

This was at a Catholic school too I might add.

Had nothing to do with my parental upbringing. My Old Man was too absorbed in TV to give a shit about my schooling, My Old Lady was more concerned with my school reports, the cleanliness of my uniform, how neat my hair was and whether or not I was “swearing the Lord’s name in vain” to care about how I interacted with other kids. As long as I had friends, and was receiving invites to other kids birthdays she was comfortable. It was your typical Boomer parents latch-key attitude to our generation.

I guess when it came to myself, some kids have more empathy than others. My Old Lady absolutely forbade me to play any other sport besides cricket due to a medical condition, hence I couldn’t play Junior Rugby League when I was a kid and it made me believe that I was different. As a kid growing up in Western Sydney in the 80’s, not being allowed to play Junior League is devastating. I certainly have never been disabled, but that limitation on my life made me develop a sense of empathy and compassion for someone even less able than myself.

mxlegend99

Referee
I would suggest it wasn’t an off hand clumsy insult that has led to this situation.

People acting like Ricky just carried a grudge for 10 years because of school yard banter.

Just let Jaeman tell his side of the story.
He was instructed not to talk to the media. What is there to gain?

Also no one ever in my life used the word androtops as an insult. I just saw my post changed 🤣. Think that was the bundle of sticks gay insult changed.

nick87

Coach
It is curious to me that the events that led to him holding grudge were considered significant enough that reportedly the details wont be in the written report
Make of that what you will

Which to be clear, is not to excuse Stuart's actions at all. They were absolutely unacceptable and he's gotten off very lightly IMO. And if it were up to me the club should have sacked him (as much for this as being a generally shitty coach) and moved on. But it is curious.

macavity

Referee
This was at a Catholic school too I might add.

Had nothing to do with my parental upbringing. My Old Man was too absorbed in TV to give a shit about my schooling, My Old Lady was more concerned with my school reports, the cleanliness of my uniform, how neat my hair was and whether or not I was “swearing the Lord’s name in vain” to care about how I interacted with other kids. As long as I had friends, and was receiving invites to other kids birthdays she was comfortable. It was your typical Boomer parents latch-key attitude to our generation.

I guess when it came to myself, some kids have more empathy than others. My Old Lady absolutely forbade me to play any other sport besides cricket due to a medical condition, hence I couldn’t play Junior Rugby League when I was a kid and it made me believe that I was different. As a kid growing up in Western Sydney in the 80’s, not being allowed to play Junior League is devastating. I certainly have never been disabled, but that limitation on my life made me develop a sense of empathy and compassion for someone even less able than myself.

apologies, low blow bringing up parents.

my old man (who we recently lost) absolutely drummed into me that you always stick up for those who can’t stick up for themselves, and you never punch down. He was an amazing man who helped hundreds in life, and he always lived his principles. I try every day to live up to the standards he set.

As the father of a smart, funny, cheeky young daughter with a disability this also cuts very close to the bone.

Jaeman has an opportunity to show he has grown and is the bigger man. The fact he has been advised not to do this, and instead has his mum and dad making statements like they did, is very curious indeed.

bileduct

Coach
Oh, FFS! He was a pre-pubescent child!

My mates and I called each other “spastics” and “p**fters” at that age. (Mind you I’m Gen X) Does that mean we do the same thing now in adulthood?

Your best mate paintchip the forensic analyst was doing just that in Four Corners just a few weeks ago mate.

But anyway, great anecdote dim. Did you also call people with actual developmental disabilities spastics? Did you call actual gay people twinkies? To their face? To their family members?

bileduct

Coach
I will add, as soon as Jaeman’s mum and dad weighed in, what actually happened became salient.

I doubt that we're ever going to hear from them what actually happened.

Something tells me that weak gutted dog children come from weak gutted dog parents.

nick87

Coach
Ill make a prediction here... this is about the last we'll hear from this story in any real sense.

The punishment has been given, it's light imo, but it's a ground breaking one for the NRL, in that they've never suspended a coach like this, so they can stand firm on their actions.

Stuart has apologised because he was a petulant child who couldnt manage his emotions. And there will no defamtion case because:

a) it's not a slam dunk
b) even if it was, and Stuart was found guilty the damanges are not likely to be enough to persue (how does Salmon show he's suffered financially from this?)
c) given a and b, maybe it's best the details of the events that led to this are left to the imagination of the wider public and not put on public record

And so we can go back to just really enjoying Sticky for what he is
Top 2. And he ain't 2!