What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All-time low. Club dead soon.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I'd like them to be aware that 19 posts (not 19 posters, 19 posts!) on our game day thread is indeed an 'all-time low'.

We're disengaging. I hope it's not our red hot All Blacks that are distracting us!

It's an incredibly rare opportunity for the Warriors to have the All Blacks be in a poor patch and the country looking for something positive to take from an oval ball code, but of course we aren't at all equipped to seize that opportunity.

As much as I don't like the ABs losing, what a great time it would have been to be able to say well the All Blacks have turned to shit but the Wahs are f**king flying.

Nice fantasy at least.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
If anyone has the SENZ app, I’d highly recommend having a listen to Matthew Ridge in studio with Izzy and Kemp yesterday morning. Surprisingly good insight into how he used to do things when he was involved with the Warriors and also how he’d be doing things now

entertaining 25 mins

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Clinton Toopi not happy, this comment on the Warriors Facebook page after they announced Katoa was leaving

“I still believe this kid is one of the best at the Warriors, who has shown a lot of glimpses of Lauitiiti and a home grown junior ABSOLUTELY GUTTED he’s lost to a rival NRL club BUT a great one in the STORM!!! He’s not even reached his potential - he become one of the best in the game next 2 years! Sad we continually sign athletes from afar!!! I understand that’s the nature of the game but but does it have to be? We should aim to 55-65% players homegrown in the squad. I feel we loose way too many who could easily be a strong core to the successes of the club!!! Wish ya all the best in your next footy journey Katoa!!!”

JJ

Immortal
Will be so funny if Katoa realises his obvious talent and becomes an elite edge backrower...

Leber

Bench
Hmmm....

I’ve actually never rated Katoa. Providing we get a good prop or centre, I think this is a good outcome.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Hmmm....

I’ve actually never rated Katoa. Providing we get a good prop or centre, I think this is a good outcome.

The thing with Katoa though was that he is a back rower with genuine line breaking ability and a power game, something that the club doesn’t have anything of. The raw ability is all there

TheDMC

Bench
The thing with Katoa though was that he is a back rower with genuine line breaking ability and a power game, something that the club doesn’t have anything of. The raw ability is all there
Yeah you could see that in his early first grade games, hit half gaps and powered over the line.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Clinton Toopi not happy, this comment on the Warriors Facebook page after they announced Katoa was leaving

“I still believe this kid is one of the best at the Warriors, who has shown a lot of glimpses of Lauitiiti and a home grown junior ABSOLUTELY GUTTED he’s lost to a rival NRL club BUT a great one in the STORM!!! He’s not even reached his potential - he become one of the best in the game next 2 years! Sad we continually sign athletes from afar!!! I understand that’s the nature of the game but but does it have to be? We should aim to 55-65% players homegrown in the squad. I feel we loose way too many who could easily be a strong core to the successes of the club!!! Wish ya all the best in your next footy journey Katoa!!!”
Can't argue with too much of it.

I feel like we're going to be shown up again with him, a lot of natural ability that wasn't harnessed with us. Burst onto the scene then faded badly.

We HAVE to be able to develop young guys like him to be any chance of being competitive in this competition. If we can't turn local kids into NRL level players, we're f**ked. And we haven't for 10 years. And we're f**ked. Turning NZ juniors into bonafide FG players would mean we don't have to pay overs for players who either are over the hill, on the edge of squads, have become undesirable for off-field reasons etc.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

The CEO telling us about slowing the ruck down. Along with other things. You read it, and it's just full of untruths, excuses, BS, and utter crap, really. Not sure anyone gives a f**k who Cameron George's recommendation for Kiwis coach is, either.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

The CEO telling us about slowing the ruck down. Along with other things. You read it, and it's just full of untruths, excuses, BS, and utter crap, really. Not sure anyone gives a f**k who Cameron George's recommendation for Kiwis coach is, either.
This is the takeaway from me. The rest is just filler.

“Then we’ll introduce our NSW Cup team and our under-19 team next year. So all of a sudden we’ve got a footy club back in its entirety.

“What people may not understand at the moment is that we’re only allowed to play six players at Redcliffe (in the Queensland Cup) each week. So a lot of players miss out.

“Next year, everyone in our club will be connected within our system. We can play 22 in reserve grade next year, not six."

I wasn't aware about the only 6 players being able to play for Redcliffe. I love the fact that we will have our own NSW Cup team again and that we will have an under 19's team. This is a really good step towards being able to grow our own juniors again.

Also, Cam, don't talk about the ruck ever again please. Leave it to Stacey.

Blair

Coach
This is the takeaway from me. The rest is just filler.

“Then we’ll introduce our NSW Cup team and our under-19 team next year. So all of a sudden we’ve got a footy club back in its entirety.

“What people may not understand at the moment is that we’re only allowed to play six players at Redcliffe (in the Queensland Cup) each week. So a lot of players miss out.

“Next year, everyone in our club will be connected within our system. We can play 22 in reserve grade next year, not six."

I wasn't aware about the only 6 players being able to play for Redcliffe. I love the fact that we will have our own NSW Cup team again and that we will have an under 19's team. This is a really good step towards being able to grow our own juniors again.

Also, Cam, don't talk about the ruck ever again please. Leave it to Stacey.
We had a gun NSW Cup team for most of the past ten years but our first grade was mostly rubbish. Try fixing that, George.

JJ

Immortal
Stacey will be stoked to be recommended as next Kiwis coach by such an astute judge

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Adam Blair named coach of the SG Ball team

my oh my
That says it all for the parlous state of rugby league coaching in NZ. That's a massive responsibility to coach SG Ball and it's been given to a guy who hasn't done much coaching at all. SG Ball coaches in Australia would be 10 year + guys who have done the job right across junior footy.

I don't care that it's Adam Blair, it's more that it isn't someone like Ricky Henry.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That says it all for the parlous state of rugby league coaching in NZ. That's a massive responsibility to coach SG Ball and it's been given to a guy who hasn't done much coaching at all. SG Ball coaches in Australia would be 10 year + guys who have done the job right across junior footy.

I don't care that it's Adam Blair, it's more that it isn't someone like Ricky Henry.
John Ackland wanting nothing to do with the club is one of the biggest and most under rated factors in the downfall of junior development

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
John Ackland wanting nothing to do with the club is one of the biggest and most under rated factors in the downfall of junior development
Massively. Was probably the most knowledgeable, effective local coach/scout we've ever had. Rated HUGELY by Ivan Cleary. And the Scurrah/Watson evil empire f**ked him off to the point of no return. Those two have significant blood on their hands when it comes to the demise of this club.

Massively. Was probably the most knowledgeable, effective local coach/scout we've ever had. Rated HUGELY by Ivan Cleary. And the Scurrah/Watson evil empire f**ked him off to the point of no return. Those two have significant blood on their hands when it comes to the demise of this club.
Where is John Ackland these days? I am in Wellington so have no idea on his latest whereabouts.

Latest posts