What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd22: Parra v South’s GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 12/8/22

strider

Post Whore
I didn't watch the presser as it just dribble.

Do you know who was asking the questions.

I know Danika Mason and Lara Pitt were on the sideline tonight but not sure if they go to the presser and didn't see any of the grubby journos like fruitloop hooper who is normally lurking around.
Pitt asked the first ... Danika does the 9 after panel so she would never be there ... i didnt recognise any other voices asking questions

King-Gutho94

Coach
Btw I reckon Danika has gone past Lara now after seeing them both close up.

It's not like Lara has changed she is still the same as she was previously but Danika has just come from the clouds she has a great smile.

Danika at games is also very friendly and hospitable with the fans and won't knock back a photo or chat with any fans that ask her.

Chipmunk

Coach
I didn't watch the presser as it just dribble.

Do you know who was asking the questions.

I know Danika Mason and Lara Pitt were on the sideline tonight but not sure if they go to the presser and didn't see any of the grubby journos like fruitloop hooper who is normally lurking around.
I was in a transfer van to the airport at the time. There was definitely a female voice to start. Sounded like Lara Pitt.There was a male who I tend to hear on all our videos. I assume a Parra employee.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was in a transfer van to the airport at the time. There was definitely a female voice to start. Sounded like Lara Pitt.There was a male who I tend to hear on all our videos. I assume a Parra employee.

Have you been kidnapped?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hey guys, @Poupou EscobarJust wanted me to let you all know to rest easy and that he and his fellow apologists are running a tad late due to them being delayed at their apologists meeting. They’re just adding the final touches to their excuses for BA. They’ll be with us in a bit.
No I agree with the coach. The players started poorly. They need to sort their shit out.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon much of the solution is we need to be prepared to risk giving away more penalties, particularly when defending our line. As @strider mentioned way back in the thread, we got a penalty in attack for off side and when questioned Atkins said that's two tackles in a row, in other words he let them get away with being offside until an error forced him to call it.

That's because they jump the gun near every tackle ( as does every other team ) and the refs aren't gonna "spoil the game" by continuously blowing the whistle.

The result is we get no time, Souths are up in our face and their goal line defence looks f**king awesome, whereas we aren't doing that deliberately ( at least not consistently enough ), Souths get plenty of time and their attack looks awesome, whilst our defence looks even poorer than it is.

When merkins like Slater and Smith are criticizing the coaching as stale and old fashioned, you can bet your sweet arse their also seeing how we have adjusted to the rules, rather than adjusting to the refereeing and the way the rules are being adjudicated in game.
Yep. Defence in the modern game is about speed, aggression and work rate. And giving up quick play-the-balls is worse than conceding penalties or six agains.

We are first in the NRL for offloads, for the fourth straight year. Up until 2018 Arthur had us playing more to the edges, but he obviously adjusted. Another consistent stat since 2019 is being in the bottom three teams for conceding penalties. Prior to that we gave away a lot more penalties. These two adjustments have coincided with us winning more often, but I tend to think we don't push the boundaries enough in defence. Or maybe our players are just too soft.

T-Boon

Coach
Yep. Defence in the modern game is about speed, aggression and work rate. And giving up quick play-the-balls is worse than conceding penalties or six agains.

We are first in the NRL for offloads, for the fourth straight year. Up until 2018 Arthur had us playing more to the edges, but he obviously adjusted. Another consistent stat since 2019 is being in the bottom three teams for conceding penalties. Prior to that we gave away a lot more penalties. These two adjustments have coincided with us winning more often, but I tend to think we don't push the boundaries enough in defence. Or maybe our players are just too soft.
BA has put together a group that is slow around the ruck in both D and A.
Mahoney, Arthur, Gutherson would be the slowest spine in the game.
Then there is Matterson, Lane, Paulo.
We want to win a competition so we need to get better players and better coaches. I think BA just wants his friends and family around him in back up and assistant roles.

JokerEel

Coach
We want to win a competition so we need to get better players and better coaches. I think BA just wants his friends and family around him in back up and assistant roles.

Isn't Drown part of the spine? He is fast.

I am still trying to figure out how people can show Gutho is slow... Looked fast last night and against Manly..

Bandwagon

Staff member

I tend to think that against most teams our discipline works in our favour, it complements well the possession game we play, so like you say, coincides with more wins.

But it doesn't work all the time against all teams, and it seems pretty obvious that it doesn't work against the bunnies game. Of course it could be just a "bogey team" thing, but I reckon that's a cop out, we just need to learn to adjust our game to counter theirs, 'cause what we are doing isn't working.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Our spine is Gutho, Mahoney, Moses and Drown, Arthurs might be a reserve half, but it's a bit silly to be calling him part of our spine.

Both Moses and Drown are pretty quick, Drown is f**king fast over longer distances, whilst Moses has great acceleration. Gutho certainly aint the fastest FB out there, but he isn't the slowest either, what he lacks is power to break tackles, more speed would be great, but it aint the be all and end all.

T-Boon

Coach
Our spine is Gutho, Mahoney, Moses and Drown, Arthurs might be a reserve half, but it's a bit silly to be calling him part of our spine.

Both Moses and Drown are pretty quick, Drown is f**king fast over longer distances, whilst Moses has great acceleration. Gutho certainly aint the fastest FB out there, but he isn't the slowest either, what he lacks is power to break tackles, more speed would be great, but it aint the be all and end all.
Arthur is our first back up half. He plays a lot. That’s how BA wants it. Our side over all would be close to the slowest in the comp.

T-Boon

Coach
I don’t know that DB is part of the spine. He is a second receiver so that’s not spine in my limited knowledge of the game.