What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd22: Parra v South’s GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 12/8/22

Brett Kenny in the TCT podcast after the game just says it how it is. He went on to say things need to change. Mentioned attitude. Team does not play what’s in front of them. Really good interview.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Eels back-rower Ryan Matterson was charged with Dangerous Contact after Friday's game against the Rabbitohs. He faces an $1800 fine with an early guilty plea increasing to $2500 with an unsuccessful challenge at the judiciary.

the phantom menace

First Grade
There's so little to say about last night. ParraDerp turned up instead of what we can be when we're motivated to do play our best. At this stage of the about our season, and under these circumstances, to me that says a lot about our team's leadership (coaching and captaincy), unity and self-belief.

Souths heavily understrength in the backs, us at full strength except Moses. Souths beat us in the forwards and across the park, bettering or matching us for the full 80 minutes. Sure, they had a wealth of possession from the get go... but why was that? Silly errors and choices (kicking game), and don't get me started about the game plan/structures and our lack of flexibility to adapt during a game....

Eels back-rower Ryan Matterson was charged with Dangerous Contact after Friday's game against the Rabbitohs. He faces an $1800 fine with an early guilty plea increasing to $2500 with an unsuccessful challenge at the judiciary.

The fine system seems ridiculous to me. Why are you allowed to do stuff classed as dangerous and just get a fine? And some players earn 10x what others are on so obviously the deterrent isn't the same.

hindy111

Post Whore
Our spine is Gutho, Mahoney, Moses and Drown, Arthurs might be a reserve half, but it's a bit silly to be calling him part of our spine.

Both Moses and Drown are pretty quick, Drown is f**king fast over longer distances, whilst Moses has great acceleration. Gutho certainly aint the fastest FB out there, but he isn't the slowest either, what he lacks is power to break tackles, more speed would be great, but it aint the be all and end all.

Who is slower the Guth?

Bandwagon

Staff member
I don’t know that DB is part of the spine. He is a second receiver so that’s not spine in my limited knowledge of the game.

So that would make Paulo part of our spine, as he spends a fair bit of time at first receiver.

strider

Post Whore
The fine system seems ridiculous to me. Why are you allowed to do stuff classed as dangerous and just get a fine? And some players earn 10x what others are on so obviously the deterrent isn't the same.
I was about to say ... how can a f**king hip drop be a fine. Its a merkin tackle or its not

eels_fan

First Grade
That game pissed me off so much that I haven’t watched any footy since, and I’m usually 7-8 games a week viewer.

I knew we weren’t switched on the minute we created some space on the outside and Dyl dropped it cold. That’s the shit he was doing regularly last year when his head wasn’t in games. Without Mitch we need him firing and that showed he wasn’t going to be.

I really wish Mahoney would just leave now and we put Rein in. We would lose nothing and would gain something other than stupid crash plays that result in at least 2-3 errors every week. What a ridiculous play he put on towards the end of the first half when we finally had field position, he engaged the line and then throws it at a block runner who wasn’t even looking.

I mean FFS we struggle against Souths when we’re full strength, can’t afford to have 2/3 regular halves doing shit all to help.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So that would make Paulo part of our spine, as he spends a fair bit of time at first receiver.
I think if a dude averages 15+ passes per game he could be considered part of your spine. That includes some middle forwards and most fullbacks. It's fairly arbitrary, but then so is the concept of the 'spine' and who is and isn't part of it.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I think if a dude averages 15+ passes per game he could be considered part of your spine. That includes some middle forwards and most fullbacks. It's fairly arbitrary, but then so is the concept of the 'spine' and who is and isn't part of it.

The line of delineation classifying any given role is likely to be arbitrary, so I can't see why "spine player" would be any different. Even your example here is, why 15 and not 16, or 14? I mean picking any given number is arbitrary by definition, regardless of whether or not it might be chosen using a valid set of qualifiers.

The point though of mentioning Paulo was he most definitely would fit the description in some areas, but not in the most commonly accepted definition. @T-Boon was attempting to discount Drown as a part of our spine only on the basis of him spending most of the game at second receiver, hence mentioning Paulo, because he does play at first receiver a fair bit, so by that definition he is more part of the spine than is Drown, and so would quite a number of middle forwards as compared to their five eight.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon Gutho looks slower than he is on account of his running style is just so unco and un-natural looking.
He ran down Reece Walsh last year within 40m after walsh had a 5-10m head start.

He doesn't have the acceleration like a tedesco or papenhuyzen but he isn't slow look at his try last week when he had space to accelerate around Garrick.

Latest posts