What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Iamback

Coach
Wrong about what? The fact that AFL games are longer and therefore get more total viewing hours is a metric that can’t be ignored. Most on here like to ignore that stat when discussing ratings or potential TV deals because it doesn’t fit with a set agenda.

Where exactly am I wrong here?

You only need to watch a program for 30 secs to be counting in the offical ratings though.

Fox would know the data from that metric but as far as ratings it is irrelevant, As is those of us who watch games on delay

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh we win the ratings war, shame we dont win the $ value war, you know the one that really matters!

Perth Red

Post Whore
You only need to watch a program for 30 secs to be counting in the offical ratings though.

Has anyone ever done a validation study on the ratings system? Fox and kayo should be reasonably accurate, though even they don’t know how many are actually in front of the tv, but the fta sample size seems very low, especially in the smaller states.

Iamback

Coach
Has anyone ever done a validation study on the ratings system? Fox and kayo should be reasonably accurate, though even they don’t know how many are actually in front of the tv, but the fta sample size seems very low, especially in the smaller states.

The do sometimes announce total hours watched.

Me personally with young kids often watch the games behind, Take Sat nights. The 5.30 game is right on dinner, So I watch it on delay. Kayo still targets me with NRL programming.

So they know it internally

The_Wookie

Bench

Fox would know the data from that metric but as far as ratings it is irrelevant, As is those of us who watch games on delay

That counts towards reach/peak. Averages are done over 15 minute periods.

Yeh we win the ratings war, shame we dont win the $ value war, you know the one that really matters!
im not sure we don't
416 mill for 9 games a week for them
403 mill for 8 games for us

plus we don;t need to win anything

we're banking 40 million plus profits off less revenue while spending more on our grassroots & clubs
while they're posting 40 million plus losses & spending less on grass roots & their clubs 😎

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
im not sure we don't

we're banking 40 million plus profits off less revenue while spending more on our grassroots & clubs
while they're posting 40 million plus losses & spending less on grass roots & their clubs 😎
We get ripped off big time when you consider what Foxtel put up with their deal with the fumbleball compared to the exclusivity they get with the NRL.

The_Wookie

Bench
im not sure we don't

Yes but is it really a profit if you owe 38 million in backpay.

Also youre in a new media arrangement, its going to be closer until the AFL negotiates its new one again.

We get ripped off big time when you consider what Foxtel put up with their deal with the fumbleball compared to the exclusivity they get with the NRL.
they won't put up with it for much longer , watch the utter shit storm that will hit when its all changed ..
plus

then FTA will pay appropriately for their leftovers

wow
what a kluster f**k

The_Wookie

Bench
how much does the aflol owe ?
a lot more then that I'd say ...

at least we can afford it 😎

You let me know when that comes out. As far as we know right now, the NRL had to backpay 38m. The AFL isnt in negotiations fo backpay at present as far as Im aware.

Also note: the AFL is sitting on more cash and equity than the NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
Wrong about what? The fact that AFL games are longer and therefore get more total viewing hours is a metric that can’t be ignored. Most on here like to ignore that stat when discussing ratings or potential TV deals because it doesn’t fit with a set agenda.

Where exactly am I wrong here?
Yep your wrong

because the longer game time doesn’t make up for the higher ratings league gets over a season

with 16 nrl teams it looks like both sports have the same number of total hours watched per season

The_Wookie

Bench
Yep your wrong

because the longer game time doesn’t make up for the higher ratings league gets over a season

Um broadcasters disagree....which has been a big part of

1) why they pay more for the AFL
2) the NRL every other broadcast deal talks about adding in more breaks
3) it was evident during the 2020 season when the AFL ran shorter quarters and thus shorter matches that average ratings increased (in addition to other facts like a lack of crowds, the time was acknowledged as a factor in ratings rises)

You let me know when that comes out. As far as we know right now, the NRL had to backpay 38m. The AFL isnt in negotiations fo backpay at present as far as Im aware.

Also note: the AFL is sitting on more cash and equity than the NRL
the aflol had to cut the pay due to covid just like the NRL did , what you think their players will just give them a pass on that ? 🤣 🤣
I mean why do you think they're desperate , climbing the walls for a significantly bigger media rights deal atm

& they'll need all the cash & assets they've got
because unlike the NRL , they're losing it hand over fist 😎

The_Wookie

Bench
the aflol had to cut the pay due to covid just like the NRL did , what you think their players will just give them a pass on that ? 🤣 🤣
I mean why do you think they're desperate , climbing the walls for a significantly bigger media rights deal atm

& they'll need all the cash & assets they've got
because unlike the NRL , they're losing it hand over fist 😎

Player cuts were already negotiated for the period. The NRL accounts show they could have afforded more, hence the profit. AFL players got a harder case to make when the league made losses.

Are you telling me that the NRL hasnt been desperately trying to get more rights every time it negotiates? lol be real.

Are they really losing it hand over fist though. Or is that just what you hope for.