What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan to half Amone to 5/8 Sloan to Fullback

I think that in 2023 we should start with this backline :
Ramsey - Sloan - M Feagai - M Feagai - Ravalawa - Amone - Sullivan
move Lomax to lock and Suli to the second row, partnering Su'a
Front row of Francis Molo, Hunt and JdB
Bench of Lawrie, Mulheisen, Bird and a couple of imports (prop/second rower).

I expect that this not to everyone's taste but, at least, it represents some development rather than the current status quo - and hopefully the club soon starts to reap rewards from the Centre of Excellence.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a KoE game for ages so I can't offer an opinion on who is worthy of promoting - maybe someone could tell me how Bailey Antrobus and Josh Coric are developing. Antrobus looked fairly handy in pre-season and I recall people having wraps on Coric in the past.

I like the Lomax to lock option. I reckon he could benefit from such a position change. Not sure how Suli would handle the switch to backrow. He doesn't seem like someone who could handle the extra workload, as most edge forwards play almost the whole 80 minutes these days. We need to find a youngish tough backrower for mine, to replace Sims. No secret I would like to see TC Robati or Griffin Neame there.

SBD82

Coach
Lomax is entirely unsuited to lock.

Defensively he doesn’t have the work rate or technique to get through what’s required. In attack he runs too upright, and wouldn’t be able to get the quick play the balls that you need from a Lock running off the back of a prop hit up.

I can understand thinking outside the box, but it’s unnecessary. With a decent coach, this team would shit all over anything that Hook has named this year:

1. Ramsey
2. Rava
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Feagai
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. F Molo
9. Hunt
10. Kerr
11. Sua
12. Bird
13. JDB
14. Mbye
15. Lawrie
16. Fuimaiono
17. M. Molo

possm

Coach
Tung in cheek, could it be that the salary of the Chairman of the Board = that of the highest paid first-grade player at the Club?

Last edited:

possm

Coach
We should start at the very beginning, a very good place to start:
Replace Hook with Flannagan.
Move Hunt to 9.
Move Sullivan to 7.
Sign Kyle Flannagan as a backup halfback.
Sign two new first-grade props.
Let go of the dead wood and replace them with the best from our pathways program.

The above decisions should result in a top 30 that looks like this:

1. Fullbackas - Ramsey / Sloan / T Stewart
2. Wingers - Matt Feagai / Ravalawa / T Stewart
3. Centres - Lomax / Suli / Max Feagai
4. Halves - Amone / Sullivan / Flannagan
5. Props - F Molo / De Belin / Lawrie / New prop / New prop
6. Edge Forwards - Su'A / Burns / New Edge Forward
7. Locks - Bird / M Molo / New Lock
8. 8 further top 30 positions to come from our pathways. program.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Yeah I heard that Del conversation on radio MMM and it certainly was damming as to the treatment of our young players.
It was both Sullivan & Sloan that Sailor suggested their managers need to get them out of the club to get an opportunity.
I particularly liked how he suggested the Dragons need to get rid of the coach.
He still loves the Dragons & has a soft spot, yet he can clearly see the problem.
Repayment for what Dell sees as the ill-treatment of his son by Dragons management.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I like the Lomax to lock option. I reckon he could benefit from such a position change. Not sure how Suli would handle the switch to backrow. He doesn't seem like someone who could handle the extra workload, as most edge forwards play almost the whole 80 minutes these days. We need to find a youngish tough backrower for mine, to replace Sims. No secret I would like to see TC Robati or Griffin Neame there.
Surely Moses is up to it. After all, he made most of our metres coming out of our own end every game until he got injured.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
Lomax is entirely unsuited to lock.

Defensively he doesn’t have the work rate or technique to get through what’s required. In attack he runs too upright, and wouldn’t be able to get the quick play the balls that you need from a Lock running off the back of a prop hit up.

I can understand thinking outside the box, but it’s unnecessary. With a decent coach, this team would shit all over anything that Hook has named this year:

1. Ramsey
2. Rava
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Feagai
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. F Molo
9. Hunt
10. Kerr
11. Sua
12. Bird
13. JDB
14. Mbye
15. Lawrie
16. Fuimaiono
17. M. Molo
Yeah, I don't get the Lomax to lock thing either - when you look at the best locks in the game at the moment (Murray, Yeo, Jake Turbo) Lomax doesn't play like any of them.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I think that in 2023 we should start with this backline :
Ramsey - Sloan - M Feagai - M Feagai - Ravalawa - Amone - Sullivan
move Lomax to lock and Suli to the second row, partnering Su'a
Front row of Francis Molo, Hunt and JdB
Bench of Lawrie, Mulheisen, Bird and a couple of imports (prop/second rower).

I expect that this not to everyone's taste but, at least, it represents some development rather than the current status quo - and hopefully the club soon starts to reap rewards from the Centre of Excellence.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a KoE game for ages so I can't offer an opinion on who is worthy of promoting - maybe someone could tell me how Bailey Antrobus and Josh Coric are developing. Antrobus looked fairly handy in pre-season and I recall people having wraps on Coric in the past.
Max F Unfortunately can't string mote than a couple of games without getting injured, he has some sort of Knee injury now, also Billy Antrobus has left the club, playing in England im pretty sure, Lomax & Suli won't be moving to the forwards any time soon..

OneEyedDragon

Juniors

dungay dragon

Juniors

This article is a good summary of the podcast I referred to in an earlier post. Sowie makes it seem like the staff may actually have a bit of a plan for the juniors coming through. 🤞🤞🤞
Yep a great read and Sowie maturing into a future top line coach
Gives a wonderful insight into the reasoning why Sullivan in particular is still a work in progress , but is dedicated , and will be a future top liner for the Dragons .
a must read for most on here

Dragon David

First Grade

This article is a good summary of the podcast I referred to in an earlier post. Sowie makes it seem like the staff may actually have a bit of a plan for the juniors coming through. 🤞🤞🤞
I agree that in their inner sanctum they are working on the young guns more than what some people are thinking. In fact, Sloan for instance to me will become much better bodily and mentally next year. Just what I'm thinking. Rumours and talk of these guys going elsewhere when they themselves would know 100% that they would be doing themselves an injustice to throw in the towel and join another club when they are just not really ready and that the Dragons is the club they all have been wanting to play for - just ask Amone.

Mojo

Bench
I would prefer to throw them to the wolves, allowed to play their natural game than tell them (Bud) not to make a mistake or he'll get dropped (Brisbane game).
They want to challenge the wolves. Every RL player does!

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
I have more faith in Soward the Griffin but I would want to see Sullivan get more game time in the next few games.