What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Jono078

Referee
Where did the talk about Ponga not liking it stem from?

I always thought he was down for it.

macavity

Referee
Would be surprised if he sees out his contract.

Need to shut him down now and have him put 5-8kg on his frame to start next year in the halves. He bulks up he is a better version of Wighton.

And the fact we are prepared to play the likes of Clune in the front line but don't want to "make Ponga a target" is ridiculous. Someone is going to be a target. If its all about that, play Klem and Saifiti in the halves.

Jono078

Referee
Only thing with Ponga is his kicking game would need some serious work.

Either that or or our next fullback has a good kick on them.

Knight76

Juniors
Where did the talk about Ponga not liking it stem from?

I always thought he was down for it.

He originally said he was keen to try it, before Brown put him there for those 3 or so games.

Then later and ever since, he has said he sees himself as a fullback, fullback is his position etc.

Personally, I think he is an average fullback with good half skills. Needs to develop a short kicking game a bit though that has improved a little from where it was a few years back.

Then get the other half kicking long, and Brailey can kick from dummy half as well.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Stopped reading here
Fair enough.
FWIW, I think Ponga needs to go to 6 too

Would like to see us go for Connor Tracey and give him a crack at fullback. Kid is all effort and safe as houses. Deserves to be in first grade every week
He or Dylan Edwards. We just need a fearless hard returning fullback. Will hit their mark every time. Can defend their line. Those are the fullbacks this club has revered over the years. We all recall Mad Dog’s move to fullback. His returns were insane.

Jono078

Referee

Knights fear Kalyn Ponga has played last game of season due to concussion​

Not surprised in the slightest.

Sucks massively. Had more good games for Qld than he did for us this year.

Winning the series also really seemed to boost his confidence because he was really good for us last week.

Hope he heals up, even bulks up a little and starts working on his kicking game (including goal kicks) in this time off in preparation of being a top notch half next year.

Fair enough.

He or Dylan Edwards. We just need a fearless hard returning fullback. Will hit their mark every time. Can defend their line. Those are the fullbacks this club has revered over the years. We all recall Mad Dog’s move to fullback. His returns were insane.
Penrith won't let Edwards go, at least not at value price anyway. A guy like Tracey who has all those traits and a bit more imo would come for far less $ so it would be better bang for buck which we need do more of.

If we are looking to shift Best to the wing then he can play centre too.

End of the day we need to bring back the 3 Ts even if it means bringing in imports to do it.

PhilGould

Bench
Ponga & Matterson both looked like done deals at stages according to the media, so they would be my guess. Could be referring to players they weren't publicly linked to as well tough.

Knight Tales

Juniors
At work today in the lunch room, I heard a bunch of normies laughing. One older gent in the group remarked that Ponga reminded him of when Darius Boyd played for Newcastle. Made me super sad because he was right.

I've never been more hyped for the potential of a player we've had at the club. That first season had me certain that we were seeing a once in a generation type player. Now, I think it's a genuine possibility we've already seen his best as much as it pains me to say. Between being injury prone, lacking a winners spirit and being stuck in the worst rabble of a club, I fear he's done. I didn't agree with his resigning (the price) and it looks even worse now.

All-in-all I'm just amazed at how the club manages to reach new lows through sheer incompetence but also just unbelievably bad luck year on year...

Johns Magic

Referee
At work today in the lunch room, I heard a bunch of normies laughing. One older gent in the group remarked that Ponga reminded him of when Darius Boyd played for Newcastle. Made me super sad because he was right.

I've never been more hyped for the potential of a player we've had at the club. That first season had me certain that we were seeing a once in a generation type player. Now, I think it's a genuine possibility we've already seen his best as much as it pains me to say. Between being injury prone, lacking a winners spirit and being stuck in the worst rabble of a club, I fear he's done. I didn't agree with his resigning (the price) and it looks even worse now.

All-in-all I'm just amazed at how the club manages to reach new lows through sheer incompetence but also just unbelievably bad luck year on year...

What’s a normie ?

Latest posts