What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore

Frustrated South Sydney officials claim the NRL denied them a whopping $1m payday by handing hosting rights to bitter rivals the Sydney Roosters for the final-round blockbuster at Allianz Stadium.

That is the astonishing figure the Roosters will pocket through gate takings alone given the interest in the new Moore Park stadium, and the fact both clubs have hit serious form before the finals.

Souths have been trying to end their agreement with the NSW government to play at Accor Stadium beyond this year and relocate to the new $828m Allianz Stadium from 2023.
Now adding to their angst is the belief they should have been the ones to christen the new arena on September 2 - not the Roosters - based on a long-held scheduling agreement in place with the NRL involving both clubs.

“Historically, the regime has always been whichever club hosts the first game in one year then hosts the second game the following year,” Solly told the Herald on Monday.
“Because we hosted the first game last year, we were meant to host the second home match against the Roosters this year

“But the NRL decided to give the Roosters the second home [game] again. We were given the explanation at the time they were going to be the anchor tenant at Allianz Stadium, which is why it was done.

“That’s never been done before, nor is it acceptable. We voiced our frustrations to [NRL chief executive] Andrew Abdo at the time, but we never got a logical explanation as to why

“We should remember Allianz Stadium is not the Roosters’ venue - it’s the NSW taxpayers’ venue.”

Souths have been based at Sydney Olympic Park and struck an agreement moving forward, only for the NSW government to walk away from plans to upgrade the facility.

The government announced it would channel its resources towards COVID and flood relief, which Souths welcomed, but also gave them grounds to walk away from their Accor Stadium deal to return east.
Souths will meet with the government’s new sports minister, Alister Henskens, on Wednesday, in the hope of getting a clearer picture of where they will be based next season.

Because Souths have already played the required nine games at Accor Stadium this season, they were free to take their final home game to Allianz Stadium.
Abdo on Monday said there was no “contractual obligation” for the NRL to rotate the order of home games for the historic rivals, and COVID and the relocation of the competition last year had caused disruption with all elements of the draw

“The Roosters have been significantly disadvantaged [in recent years],” Abdo said. “Last year, the Rabbitohs got their home fixture in front of a crowd in NSW. The Roosters’ home game was played in Brisbane.
“Both clubs were interested in playing their home fixture at the new stadium. The Roosters have been the anchor tenant at Allianz Stadium for a long period of time and that was taken into account. Playing the early round fixture at home is also a financially good return for clubs.”

Meanwhile, Solly said the club were “confident and optimistic” Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Damien Cook would all recommit, which coach Jason Demetriou also spelled out over the weekend.
“They’ve all been great contributors to our club on and off the field over the years, and I like to think we’ve been good for them, too,” Solly said.

“Latrell is such a special talent. The thing that gives everyone the most pride is seeing the development of him as a leader on and off the field - the growth in him as a person has been remarkable

“It feels like he’s made a home here, he has another year, and another two or three years after that would be great.
Thanks, $1mill is a very conservative number for a 42k sell out. Id think it would be nearer $1.5mill given ticket prices, plus higher corporate box sales. Nice earner for the Roosters.

Iamback

Coach
Fair enough though I cant see either option happening anytime soon given likely change of Govt and the response so far from Labor. Shame, Feds should chip in to rebuild accor imo and brand it the national stadium.

ps they are already sharing a home ground with two rivals so I dont see why that would be an issue re commbank FT

Parra Leagues in the carpark says otherwise

Perth Red

Post Whore
Parra Leagues in the carpark says otherwise
no one is forcing anyone into parra leagues lol. Tigers and Dogs are already using commbank, not an issue for them apparently.
Only in Sydney would the best stadium in the country for club RL not be used to its full potential because there is a LC near by lol.

Iamback

Coach
no one is forcing anyone into parra leagues lol. Tigers and Dogs are already using commbank, not an issue for them apparently.
Only in Sydney would the best stadium in the country for club RL not be used to its full potential because there is a LC near by lol.

They use it for the odd game, I am just saying why no one will move their fulltime

Perth Red

Post Whore
Look at the Dogs major sponsor.

You don't think they would prefer fans to use their pub at Olympic Park?
haha so they wont use the best stadium in the city due to 1. a LC being near by and 2. One of the club sponsors 25 pubs is near Olympic park? You're seriously clutching at straws.
More likely its either A) because they are getting a good deal at accor or B) they are locked into a contract or C) their fans don't want to travel that little bit further (though I'd be interested to hear if members have ever been canvassed on that)

Iamback

Coach
haha so they wont use the best stadium in the city due to 1. a LC being near by and 2. One of the club sponsors 25 pubs is near Olympic park? You're seriously clutching at straws.
More likely its either A) because they are getting a good deal at accor or B) they are locked into a contract or C) their fans don't want to travel that little bit further (though I'd be interested to hear if members have ever been canvassed on that)

Why can't it be multiple reasons though?

Accor has treated them right while being there
Members like the travel
A sponsor owning a pub outside is a bonus.

Everything has to be an either or with you. Some clubs the overall package for them is better where they are, Bulldogs at Accor is one of them

King-Gutho94

Coach
Wow what a bunch of twats south’s have become, kick them out of the comp . I guess liecchardt is not tigers home ground either

2018, 19 & 20 the Roosters had the first game between these 2 teams as the home team so don't know what rotational garbage Solly is trying to sell.

Plus Souths benefitted in 2020 & 2021 getting home games against the roosters.

Roosters had there home games against Souths at neutral venues in Commbank & Suncorp.

MugaB

Coach
Fair enough though I cant see either option happening anytime soon given likely change of Govt and the response so far from Labor. Shame, Feds should chip in to rebuild accor imo and brand it the national stadium.
This should be done, bulldogs and tigers should be the tennants here, bulldogs mainly since tigers will take games to LO & CSS also

ps they are already sharing a home ground with two rivals so I dont see why that would be an issue re commbank FT
Homebush is far closer, and not pawwas

Perth Red

Post Whore
This should be done, bulldogs and tigers should be the tennants here, bulldogs mainly since tigers will take games to LO & CSS also

Homebush is far closer, and not pawwas
its 7 minutes extra on train, 6km further by road. I wouldn't say 'far'.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then no parking at the other end
that's because they want you to use public transport for events, not create a traffic log jam and then have to build 10k car park spaces! Sydney needs to catch up to rest of country and include public transport in tickets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If your team plays on Thursday or Friday nights, you're travelling in peak hour. Heck Saturdays and Sundays around both Homebush and Parramatta are worse than weekdays sometimes.
but why would you drive to it if its so bad? Sydney trains seem pretty frequent from my experience with them. If you've driven to work park up somewhere along the train line and get the train to the venue. That's what sensible people in big cities do to get to events!

Optus was built with zero parking and works brilliantly because they thought it through!

Iamback

Coach
If your team plays on Thursday or Friday nights, you're travelling in peak hour. Heck Saturdays and Sundays around both Homebush and Parramatta are worse than weekdays sometimes.

These interstate posters and their no idea about these things

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL scheduling

Have you ever tried to catch public transport after 10pm in Sydney with kids?

Travel by car takes 1/3rd of the time afterhours

Eg 1h car or 3h for public transport for regional fans
tbf most people going are not regional fans or taking young kids. Sure some areand it wouldn't suit them, but they are in a minority. The majority of dogs fans would live within a 60min public transport trip of commbank I'd suggest. I do agree though that games should not be KO at 8pm and lasting 2 hours, its ridiculous. Bad enough we schedule so many night games but at least schedule them for 7 or 7.30pm and keep HT to 10mins!