What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
Soni Luke is progressing well. He along with Kenny will do fine for us in 23.
And as it stands Alice we don’t seem to have a lot of options.

it’s hard to gauge NSW Cup form, it is a massive step down from NRL but he looks the goods and I am confident he can do the job for us.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
And as it stands Alice we don’t seem to have a lot of options.

it’s hard to gauge NSW Cup form, it is a massive step down from NRL but he looks the goods and I am confident he can do the job for us.

I agree. The level of his development this year has been impressive.

Abacus

Juniors
Just correct you on a small point. Graham left because of Matty Elliot, who was the coach at the time.

Graham was already unhappy with the way Penrith was being run. Gallen just suggest the Sharks might be a 'nice' place for him.
No. Penrith mgmt told Wado his future was in the back row. He cracked the shits. Gal toldnhim he could play halves at the Sharks & he left to have a great career for them in the back row.

Just correct you on a small point. Graham left because of Matty Elliot, who was the coach at the time.

Graham was already unhappy with the way Penrith was being run. Gallen just suggest the Sharks might be a 'nice' place for him.
Yes I heard he was looking around, but Gal ultimately convinced him the sharks were on the cusp.

The whole idea of Elliot backfired pretty badly, giving the President a rubbishing on his first day at the club near the acqua golf wasn’t the best of starts.

And @Aliceinwonderland, I never found out what the Ross v Clinton gym fight was about.

Was it the personality clash or the rumoured girl troubles?

I’ve met Ben Ross, he’s quite the gentleman, massive unit.

The days of Priddo, Gowie and Cranky off of the bench.

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
You were right about a shark getting in his ear though. I can remember that. When he was selected for rep football from memory. Whether it was State of Origin or City/Country I can't remember.
Was a fantastic career decision, our club was a rabble

Iamback

Coach
The way that people have been talking about the salary cap is a little misleading. The reason that the Dogs have so much space shown in 24 is because they have so few players signed for that year. It’s only about 4-5 players and already that is between $2-3 m of cap space (estimated). Kiks and Mahoney are not included in this (contracts not registered, I am assuming because the Dogs have trouble in 23) but they are close enough to $1.5m between them. This is before they upgrade Burto.

The upshot is while they have a lot of cash available, they also have a lot of spaces to fill. Making a big splash for Brian is going to be difficult for them (they already have a big money winger in the Foxx) and they are going to struggle match big offers for Critta.

Using the Top 100 contract list ( Apparently is accurate)

JAC $550k
Burton $900k ( Currently $550k )
Mahoney $650k
Ryan Sutton $600k
Kikau $800k
TPJ $750k

For conversation sake lets assume 2024 cap is $11m

That is around $270k per player across the squad, A halfback will cost double that.

So I don't see them having the cap space to sign outside backs on overs

betcats

Referee
I rate Critter highly, more than most I think. Still only 21 I believe he has a lot of potential left until he reaches his peak but the simple fact is we have way to many good young outside backs to be getting into a bidding war for him. Staines, Turuva and probably Jenkins could all slot into our outside backs now and we would be fine and there are already a few good young guys coming up behind them. Iongi is making a great case in cup to be the next fullback with his speed and passing skills, Jack Cole has done a great job when shifted to the centres in cup, Amituani has looked great on the wing and then there is the flegg guys a couple of which look really good, come 2024 even if Critter leaves we will still have to many good options to fit them all in for the outside backs.

Whino

Bench
Coaching clean-out

The departures of Ciraldo and Andrew Webster to the Bulldogs and Warriors respectively will mean Ivan Cleary goes into the 2023 season with a new-look coaching staff.
There’s a general feeling around the club that this is a good thing – it’ll ensure freshness amongst the group, and the ongoing distraction of Ciraldo’s future wont be an issue.

Peter Wallace is considered an obvious choice to fill one of the vacant assistant spots next year, but I’m told the club is likely to look outside of the current Panthers system for at least one of the two vacant positions.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Using the Top 100 contract list ( Apparently is accurate)

JAC $550k
Burton $900k ( Currently $550k )
Mahoney $650k
Ryan Sutton $600k
Kikau $800k
TPJ $750k

For conversation sake lets assume 2024 cap is $11m

That is around $270k per player across the squad, A halfback will cost double that.

So I don't see them having the cap space to sign outside backs on overs

Apparently (according to the goons at Fox sports) 'they' have huge monies for 2024. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
And @Aliceinwonderland, I never found out what the Ross v Clinton gym fight was about.

Was it the personality clash or the rumoured girl troubles?

I’ve met Ben Ross, he’s quite the gentleman, massive unit.

The days of Priddo, Gowie and Cranky off of the bench.

I think it was over a 'lady'. Have no idea though whether that information was true or not.

Iamback

Coach
I rate Critter highly, more than most I think. Still only 21 I believe he has a lot of potential left until he reaches his peak but the simple fact is we have way to many good young outside backs to be getting into a bidding war for him. Staines, Turuva and probably Jenkins could all slot into our outside backs now and we would be fine and there are already a few good young guys coming up behind them. Iongi is making a great case in cup to be the next fullback with his speed and passing skills, Jack Cole has done a great job when shifted to the centres in cup, Amituani has looked great on the wing and then there is the flegg guys a couple of which look really good, come 2024 even if Critter leaves we will still have to many good options to fit them all in for the outside backs.

I rate him highly too, I think he cops unwarranted criticism. With all these talks we have to use the Roosters formula, They kept Manu over Latrell because Latrell knocked back their deal.

Hopefully we do the same approach. Given he is on $615k now, Max out at $700k. If it gets the job done great, if not good luck to him.

Martin and To'o have both said they will stay. I am confident Critter stays given the circumstances

chrisD

Coach
Spencer can stay... he could be up there with the most damaging players in the game in the next year or two
..still very young. To'o reminds me of a young Mansour as does May.
May is different, he can finish and might be at least average at fielding kicks.

Latest posts