What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fox not willing to pay more looks like the afls bluff about paramount didn’t work

status quo to remain

paramount and none used to drum up fake competition in the hope the existing guys will pay more than they should

now we see if the broadcasters fell for it or not
Its almost like you have any clue what's going on behind closed doors lol.

The_Wookie

Bench
The article you quoted was all anonymous sources too

are we only including anonymous sources whose views we agree with lol

No and thats been my point here for some time. Everything is anonymous or unnamed sources. Saying things like "Fox not willing to pay more looks like the afls bluff about paramount didn’t work" has little evidential basis.

Wb1234

Referee
No and thats been my point here for some time. Everything is anonymous or unnamed sources. Saying things like "Fox not willing to pay more looks like the afls bluff about paramount didn’t work" has little evidential basis.
Semantics my dude

who knows who these anonymous sources are. It could be a homeless guy on the street

it could be an afl exec making stuff up

there was an article I read a while back saying seven and fox would retain the rights

so all this talk about paramount is to create fake bidding tension

otherwise they can accept the apparent bid which is over 500 mill

Perth Red

Post Whore
Semantics my dude

who knows who these anonymous sources are. It could be a homeless guy on the street

there was an article I read a while back saying seven and fox would retain the rights

Every media report has said Ch10/Paramount have submitted a bid. Not one has said they havent. You're an idiot.

I think we can safely accept Paramount has bid and that it is well below the $600mill the AFL was hoping for. If it is just an opening bid, how near the 23/24 $473mill or how seven/Fox respond is all pure speculation. I think a $550-600mill bid would have won them the rights, anything close to what fox/7 are offering and they'll stay with the incumbents.

The_Wookie

Bench
Semantics my dude

Theres been articles going each way across both major media stables. here on league unlimited it seems some folks prefer only the ones they like and ignore the ones they dont. Even though they are all anonymous in source.

Frank Burge

Juniors
We should hope the AFL gets 600m , it will set the bar for the next deal for us . If they sign with 10/Paramount and drives massive growth on the streaming platform then I would be 9/Stan will come in with a strong offer in 2027 for NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Theres been articles going each way across both major media stables. here on league unlimited it seems some folks prefer only the ones they like and ignore the ones they dont. Even though they are all anonymous in source.
Whats the tea leaves saying about Tassie and club 19 introduction to boost value wookie? Is there much value in the extra content do you feel? Seems a bit split on them from what I've seen amongst clubs and fans.

The_Wookie

Bench

The AFL is on the verge of signing a record television deal, with current broadcast partners Seven West Media and Foxtel claiming to be in the “box seat” to top the previous record of $2.5 billion ahead of the dramatic final round of the season.

Senior sources close to the high-level negotiations say Seven West Media and Foxtel (which owns streaming service Kayo) believe they are close to a deal which is being reviewed by the lawyers and could be announced as early as Monday.

Speculation remains whether Network Ten and streaming partner Paramount Plus and Nine Entertainment and streaming service Stan have topped the $500 million a year benchmark, which the AFL hoped would push the price closer to $600 million a year.

But the AFL denied any deal had been done, with sources suggesting the negotiations were still at the “high drama phase”, with Seven and Foxtel seeking to finalise between themselves how many games remain behind the paywall with a concession for Seven to stream key AFL matches.

Another source said that there was still a “small chance” that Ten and Paramount could counter with a last-minute higher bid with an AFL subcommittee led by AFL chairman Richard Goyder, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan and Commissioners Paul Bassat and Robin Bishop discussing a final decision on the deal.

“Could a last-minute bid come in that’ll blow the AFL away? Yes, it could,” another source said, sworn to secrecy about the high stakes negotiations where each party is promoting their own interests.

Foxtel and Seven previously clinched a record $2.5 billion deal with the AFL for six years from 2017. A two-year extension was agreed in late 2020 to the end of the 2024 season for the publicly disclosed figure of $946 million – putting the current rights at a value of $473 million a year, a figure considered to a discount due to the cancellation of games during the pandemic and creating a benchmark of around $500 million a year.

Sources said the current bid was above the existing deal but only a “modest increase” with a five-year offer above $510 million a year putting a deal above $2.55 billion and allowing the AFL to legitimately claim a record agreement.

Nail-biting end to season​

Executives look to have failed to stir significant interest among the US tech giants like Amazon and Apple to get involved in bidding for live broadcast or streaming rights.

Both companies have emerged as major players during broadcast rights negotiations in recent years, with Amazon nabbing the local rights for some English Premier League matches and the NFL’s prized “Thursday Night Football”, while Apple is picking up Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer in the US.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sources said the current bid was above the existing deal but only a “modest increase” with a five-year offer above $510 million

Some people on here are going to look very silly next week by the looks of it!

tri_colours

Juniors
Sources said the current bid was above the existing deal but only a “modest increase” with a five-year offer above $510 million

Some people on here are going to look very silly next week by the looks of it!
The current contract is over 6 years not 5.?
If that article is right V'landys will have gotten us a bigger increase , after all your death ridding of V'landys who is it that will look silly?

Sources said the current bid was above the existing deal but only a “modest increase” with a five-year offer above $510 million a year putting a deal above $2.55 billion and allowing the AFL to legitimately claim a record agreement.

Last edited:

Latest posts