What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Eric the great

Juniors
what Carlow is saying is right not one person on this sight could’ve done any better than Paulo I’m not impressed with his play last night but I bet he bounces back and as I say could anyone here in this forum done any better I think not .

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs extend contracts of Michael Chee Kam and Dean Hawkins until at least the end of Season 2023: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...awkins-until-at-least-the-end-of-season-2023/

Really, really good news! Two great depth signings. Hopefully Cheeks can see more Footy next year and Dean is just about one of the best back up halves you could ask for! Good stuff,

In more good news, from Zero Tackle. Tass bloody deserves this!

Rabbitohs set to lock up breakout star on new deal

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have reportedly re-signed Isaiah Tass on a two-year deal.

While the news is yet to be confirmed by the club, the 23-year-old who spent time with the Canterbury Bulldogs and Brisbane Broncos before ultimately making the switch to Redfern has been impressive after finally breaking through for an NRL debut this year.

A talented centre, Tass was never handed an opportunity at Canterbury or Red Hill, despite impressive in the QLD Cup in particular during the 2021 campaign with Brisbane's feeder program.

Joining South Sydney, Tass once again had to bide his time in reserve grade, spending time with the NSW Cup outfit before finally being handed a debut from the bench during a Good Friday win over the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Speaking on Triple M Radio, the Australian's Brent Read said he has signed a new two-year deal with the club that'll keep him locked in at Redfern until at least the end of 2024.

Isaiah Tass has signed a new two-year deal with the Rabbitohs,” Read said on Triple M.

Scoring a try in his debut, Tass was dropped to 18th man the following week, but scored another try in his next game during Round 8 against the Manly Sea Eagles.

His last eight games - taking his career tally to 11 - have come back-to-back since he was picked to take on the Eels during Round 16, with Tass not scoring during those games, but laying on 5 try assists, 16 tackle breaks and 3 line breaks. His defence has also been impressive.

The 23-year-old was expected to be dropped as Campbell Graham returned from a fractured cheekbone, however, he has retained his place in the side with fill in winger Izaac Thompson making way for last night's game against the Penrith Panthers, which South Sydney came up short in.

callmack1

Staff member
'Unbelievable' Latrell leaves Slater speechless: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...panthers/4c3c1360-bfa0-452a-9c4b-d440b5a5b12d

'Unacceptable' - Souths confirm 'outrageous' death threats aimed at Paulo after horror night: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/a32374b1dfe78ff5e5a44186c24fb5b2

This is completely and utterly disgraceful. Extremely unacceptable. Now, I'm all for giving our players criticism. We can say they had a shit game and that they shouldn't be playing next week, that's fine. I'm sure the coaches will do the same, as will his teammates. I'm sure Jaxson himself would be the first one to admit he was terrible and that's okay. No doubt he was a big reason why we lost.

But to personally abuse someone and send death threats due to their performance is just so not on and it's proof some people need to wake up to themselves. They don't deserve to be called Souths fans after this and I hope the book gets thrown at them.

I can't believe our supporter base would be that vile to one of our own.

We need to rally around him now and he'll bounce back. Great to see all the boys heavily supporting him on Instagram.

handyman2190

Bench
Its come out ,mostly in social media, that mansour and paulo will not be offered new contracts for next year. While i understand mansour has reached his useby, i would perservere with paulo, he is fast and can play well on occassions, i feel more time in nsw cup would do him good.
Its a shame to let him go,unless we have a couple of recruits coming , like tesi nui and greg marzhew

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

NRL players sacrifice salary for former players

Well, you certainly can't make claims of NRL players being 'money hungry' ever again.

Players across the competition are rallying as they look to confirm a $10 million sacrifice from their own pay packets in order to assist retired and uncontracted players through financial hardship.

While the obvious allocation of funds will be retired players at the backend of their career looking to transition into post-football life, there is a large assortment of players who haven't picked up a deal, or that have suffered a long-term injury in a contract year that need financial help.

Haze Dunster, for example, is a lucky one (to some extent).

The Parramatta winger re-signed through to the end of the 2025 season with the Eels, less than two months before snapping his ACL, MCL and PCL in a trial match earlier this year.

Had he been out of contract this year, there's probably a high chance no club would be willing to take a punt on him, leaving him without a source of income.

Aaron Booth is another, although a little more unfortunate.

Suffering a similar injury to Dunster in recent weeks, Booth isn't signed for 2023, meaning the recovering hooker could be left stranded come November 1.

The new initiative from the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) ensures that these cases would be looked after by them, and guarantee that no player, retired or injured, will be left out in the cold by rugby league.

Premature retirements have increased over recent years, the increased information on the long-term effects of concussion have seen a handful hang up the boots, as have other niggling serious injuries.

Former Cowboy Michael Morgan is one of them, and as a representative of the RLPA, is involved in negotiating the deal.

“A lot of players struggle in retirement. The RLPA wants the responsibility of looking after retired players. You don’t want anyone leaving the game facing hardship," Morgan told The Daily Telegraph.

"I’ve been in a lot of RLPA discussions, particularly at the back end of my career.

“A lot of it was about looking after the bottom-end players first. It was genuinely a priority.

“It doesn’t matter if you’ve played one game or 300. It has never been about the stars just saying we want more money.”

Boss of the RLPA, Clint Newton, believes the proposed fund has been a long time coming.

“In the current CBA, clubs are only obligated to assist players for surgery for the first 12 months of retirement. Then players are on their own.

“We want to keep a long-term watch on them. Some players retire and need a shoulder reconstruction, a knee clean-out and maybe ankle surgery.

“That puts pressure on the player. How do they find work with all this going on?”

With the average span of an NRL career clocking in at just under 50 games, the initiative is essential not just for 300 NRL game stars, but for the fringe players as well, who don't earn millions and millions throughout their career.

Its come out ,mostly in social media, that mansour and paulo will not be offered new contracts for next year. While i understand mansour has reached his useby, i would perservere with paulo, he is fast and can play well on occassions, i feel more time in nsw cup would do him good.
Its a shame to let him go,unless we have a couple of recruits coming , like tesi nui and greg marzhew
While Mansour will almost certainly be gone, I haven't heard that reported anywhere about Paulo. I agree though, hope we can keep him.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The club see big futures in Karipani, Kalokalo and Munro mate.

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle. While this does sound like a bit of pure speculation, gotta admit it is a bit concerning that Trell and Cody have delayed their contract talks. Hopefully it's just because they want to focus on their Footy and they'll get to it later. Good news that Cookie has pretty much agreed though!

Star Rabbitohs duo set to throw spanner in transfer market

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have made it clear that they want all of Damien Cook, Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker to extend their time at Redfern beyond the end of the 2023 season.

All three have previously spoken out about their love of the club and desire to continue to playing for the Rabbitohs, however, new reports suggest Mitchell and Walker are both holding back on signing their extensions.

The club have made all three players lucrative, long-term deals, with Cook said to have virtually already agreed to his through to the end of 2025 - a contract that would be the final of his career.

It's understood the contract for Walker is of the same duration, and that the veteran would also be likely to hang up the boots at the end of the 2025 season alongside Cook.

Mitchell, who is far younger than his star teammates, has been tabled what is believed to have been a three-year deal to remain at Redfern in Jason Demetriou's side, who are in a fight to make this year's top eight.

Rugby league reporter Ben Dobbin has suggested that Wayne Bennett - who will coach the Dolphins in their inaugural season during 2023 before continuing in the role for three seasons - is set to offer both players a deal though.

Bennett coached Mitchell and Walker at South Sydney on the way to the 2021 grand final, which the club lost to Penrith.

That is now being backed up by News Corp's James Hooper suggesting that both players have stalled in signing their current deals, unlike Cook.

“Latrell and Cody Walker are clearly joined at the hip right, they are best mates, they do everything together,” Hooper said.

“Where it gets interesting, Souths have been backgrounding people for quite a while now saying in all likelihood, Latrell and Cody will be staying at the Bunnies.

“There’s been a couple of quiet whispers kicking around for the last couple of months now that maybe, they’re just going to wait (to sign an extension with South Sydney).

“They are not saying they won’t stay... but we are getting closer to November 1.”

Both players are allowed to officially negotiate with other clubs from November 1 ahead of their respective contracts expiring at the end of 2023.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
From Zero Tackle. While this does sound like a bit of pure speculation, gotta admit it is a bit concerning that Trell and Cody have delayed their contract talks. Hopefully it's just because they want to focus on their Footy and they'll get to it later. Good news that Cookie has pretty much agreed though!

Star Rabbitohs duo set to throw spanner in transfer market

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have made it clear that they want all of Damien Cook, Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker to extend their time at Redfern beyond the end of the 2023 season.

All three have previously spoken out about their love of the club and desire to continue to playing for the Rabbitohs, however, new reports suggest Mitchell and Walker are both holding back on signing their extensions.

The club have made all three players lucrative, long-term deals, with Cook said to have virtually already agreed to his through to the end of 2025 - a contract that would be the final of his career.

It's understood the contract for Walker is of the same duration, and that the veteran would also be likely to hang up the boots at the end of the 2025 season alongside Cook.

Mitchell, who is far younger than his star teammates, has been tabled what is believed to have been a three-year deal to remain at Redfern in Jason Demetriou's side, who are in a fight to make this year's top eight.

Rugby league reporter Ben Dobbin has suggested that Wayne Bennett - who will coach the Dolphins in their inaugural season during 2023 before continuing in the role for three seasons - is set to offer both players a deal though.

Bennett coached Mitchell and Walker at South Sydney on the way to the 2021 grand final, which the club lost to Penrith.

That is now being backed up by News Corp's James Hooper suggesting that both players have stalled in signing their current deals, unlike Cook.

“Latrell and Cody Walker are clearly joined at the hip right, they are best mates, they do everything together,” Hooper said.

“Where it gets interesting, Souths have been backgrounding people for quite a while now saying in all likelihood, Latrell and Cody will be staying at the Bunnies.

“There’s been a couple of quiet whispers kicking around for the last couple of months now that maybe, they’re just going to wait (to sign an extension with South Sydney).

“They are not saying they won’t stay... but we are getting closer to November 1.”

Both players are allowed to officially negotiate with other clubs from November 1 ahead of their respective contracts expiring at the end of 2023.

Have to admit this is not great to read !

We all know there is no loyalty in the game anymore from Clubs or players but sometimes you hold out hope that there is a shred of decency.

Not sure how much more “wrapping their arms” around these guys and showing them the love the club can do.

The $50k spent on the USA trip could end up confetti or is it just milking the cow ??

Nafedogg

Juniors
The only reason they’d go to Redcliffe is for the pay packet? Latrell goes to Taree after every game, can’t really see him driving 7 hours from Redcliffe to do this (could be wrong). Cody who knows after splitting from his missus, but surely Hawkins, Ilias and Taaffe will be better after consistent footy.

We all know there isn’t really any loyalty between players and clubs these days and that’s fine at the end of the day it’s like anyone in their workplace. If they are contracted for next year then let’s see how we end up at seasons end.

handyman2190

Bench
Larell might be playing hardball to get cody a better deal,but after codys performances this year id let him go,when the crunch comes i dont think latrell will leave,cody can go to bennet