What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 FW1 EF Sun - Sydney 14-30 South Sydney @ Allianz

Finals Week 1: Sydney v South Sydney

• Sydney Roosters

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yobbo84

First Grade
On a serious note I thought tonight showed how much Latrell has matured the past 12 months. About 4 or 5 times he could have lost it but kept his cool.

If he plays in a game like that last year he would've gone off the rails. Victor Radley could learn a thing or two, he always loses his cool against us.

That was a barnstorming game, loved every second of it, intensity and ferocity off the scale, it will be remembered for a long time.

A match befitting two great rivals.

Robbo has the best analysis of it in his press conference. Stupid question inferring roosters laying down. I was offended and I’m not a rooster guy.

Shout out to all the players of both clubs for giving us rugby league we can believe in.

They made rugby league great again.

On a serious note I thought tonight showed how much Latrell has matured the past 12 months. About 4 or 5 times he could have lost it but kept his cool.

If he plays in a game like that last year he would've gone off the rails. Victor Radley could learn a thing or two, he always loses his cool against us.
Cody was lethal in the second half. That’s as good as he’s ever played.

fourplay

Juniors
Neither team knew there was nothing to play for until after the 24 hour cut off. In hindsight joey should have been cut prior to that and yes teddy and one other could have come out of the side before kick off.

I have a feeling there was some significant pressure on robbo to field a good team with the stadium opening.

At the end if the day we just need to not be in a position to have to win so many games at the end of year to ensure a finals spot. All 3 of our premierships under robbo have featured an end of season down period before ramping back up for finals.

They could have rested whoever they wanted to really easily. I thought that they would at least rest Teddy and Manu with the 19 man squad rules once Parra had beat Melbourne but if they wanted to rest more they could have rested whoever they wanted on the basis that they got ill the night/morning of the game. All a player has to do is say they are ill and they can be pulled from the game regardless of squad rules. Once a player has withdrawn, teams are actually allowed to bring in players outside of the 19 man squad but an exemption has to be granted by the NRL on a case by case basis.

The NRL can decline the exemptions and make a team run out with less players but there is no way the NRL would have allowed that to happen on such a big night of the stadium opening. If the players said they were resting, the NRL might choose to fine the roosters for not following protocol, but if the players individually claimed they are sick and got sick after the 19 man squad was finalised, there is no course of action the NRL can take against the Roosters other than making the roosters run out with a line up that consists of less than 17 players. They can't make injured or sick players play by denying an exemption, but they can prevent a replacement from taking their place in the line up. It might be a bad look but it's a grey area that I thought the Roosters (or Souths) would have been smart enough to take advantage of.

When they made the line up rules they were designed with the understanding that teams might try to gain a competitive advantage by disguising their final line up, so the NRL avoids this scenario by retaining the right of denying exemptions if a player withdraws late. In the Roosters vs Souths situation, it's a unique scenario in that a team would be resting players because they do not care about winning the game, so granting or denying an exemption wouldn't matter because the withdrawn players would still not be playing either way.

gerg

Juniors
Let's be serious, Roosters were without internationals and origin players Teddy, toupu, Collins, stilli, manu, Crichton, Suallii out of position and first choice centre Smith out and souths only won by 2 tries :D

A serous team ( Panthers, Cowboys, sharks, eels) would have put 50 on them, even the Titans or Tigers would have won that game.

Hey.... raiders are a serious team too ... we have the most serious man in rugby league as our coach.

Reflector

Juniors
Do you think the atmosphere in the crowd at our games has gotten darker over the years? Saw a few fans go close to blows
I hadn't been to a Chooks v Souths clash since 2009 (when Souths belted them in round 1) but from what I recall 13 years ago, there was definitely more venom in the atmosphere today. Might have been because of the stakes or my memory revising history, but the atmosphere was more good natured the last time I went to this fixture. I didn't see any fights, but definitely an edgier vibe than it used to be. Felt more like Eels v Bulldogs in that regard. Heard more than a couple of Roosters fans afterward saying "To get knocked out sucks, but by them? Anyone but Souths."

gordsy

Juniors
Neither team knew there was nothing to play for until after the 24 hour cut off. In hindsight joey should have been cut prior to that and yes teddy and one other could have come out of the side before kick off.

I have a feeling there was some significant pressure on robbo to field a good team with the stadium opening.

At the end if the day we just need to not be in a position to have to win so many games at the end of year to ensure a finals spot. All 3 of our premierships under robbo have featured an end of season down period before ramping back up for finals.
And that's when you use a virus swept through the team excuse or, failed to overcome a niggling Injury etc etc. Not rocket science.

Billythekid

First Grade

Latrell really stood up. He add an average game last week and was booed like crazy. There was a ton of pressure on him and he absolutely nailed it. Great performance.

I give him a lot of shit but tonight he really stood up.

yobbo84

First Grade
I'll also add - we are completely in Victor Radley's head. The bloke has always looked a park footballer against us - loses his head, rushes out for hits, goes away from his passing game in attack. He obviously hates Souths (I mean there's video of him saying f**k Souths in podcasts etc), but at this point he's a massive detriment to the Roosters whenever he plays us. Cameron Murray completely owns him every time he plays him too which shows the stark difference in quality there.

Also, on the rivalry - the atmosphere was without doubt the most volatile I've ever been part of. It was rabid in there. Afterwards though? Outside the stadium, on the light rail, etc - all just good-natured banter. Didn't see anything even close to looking like a fight breaking out.

jack coburn

Juniors
Was an ordinary game footy wise but had plenty of spice . Picked the sooks by 13 so was close. Only thing pissed me off was sooks constantly taking a knee for the Queen every time a finger hit them high. Thought that was going out of the game but that’s how it is .
should of put 50 on them after teddy taken out.

Latest posts