What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Vic Mackey

Referee
Hope Jacob goes well. He’s never been the same since he did his ACL, MCL and PCL in the same injury back in 2019. Considering he’s about to turn 26 I’m not sure he’ll suddenly regain his speed but who knows.

Solid defender who gives his all but only seems to be able to pass right to left. If you’re excited about him I highly suggest you DONT go back and watch the last minute of our game v you in Wollongong when we’re attacking your line. I wouldn’t want to kill your spirit.

FlameThrower

Bench
So the best we can do, is pick up a mostly injured guy, from a team that came last in the competition. I keep hearing about our ‘young guns’ but apparently they’re not good enough to get a run or mention? Or do we wait for these ‘young guns’ to turn 21 before they can play? Or as they are just about come good, we let them go to other clubs and replace them with old journeymen as has been the ‘strategy’….

Yippee we sign a hooker unable to make regular first choice hooker for the wooden spooners. Plus one with no more dummy half skills than McCullogh. Are our FO walking around with a white cane. Did they not read Liddle's poor attacking stats from the 10 NRL games he played this season.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
So the best we can do, is pick up a mostly injured guy, from a team that came last in the competition. I keep hearing about our ‘young guns’ but apparently they’re not good enough to get a run or mention? Or do we wait for these ‘young guns’ to turn 21 before they can play? Or as they are just about come good, we let them go to other clubs and replace them with old journeymen as has been the ‘strategy’….
Exactly this ......

innsaneink

Referee
Looking at his 2022 stats, he’s a good defender & averaged 40m per game behind a beaten Tigers pack compared to McCullough’s 25m so that indicates a decent running game.

Main weakness is fitness, he’s only managed 73 games in about 6 seasons due to injury.
Seven seasons

he’s a good defender & averaged 40m per game behind a beaten Tigers pack compared to McCullough’s 25m
25m that is flattering the 'snail'. 40m per game is acceptable but hardly world beating. Will accept that but not his lack of ball skills. Not one try, one assist or a tackle break in his 10 games. How is he going to convince the suits that he is a better deal than the incumbent.

I too am fine with Liddle but only if he is not given an extension after his first year,and that we dont pursue Reece Robson. We have our own talented group of junior hookers so what we dont want is for them to be disillusioned and walk away because they see no way to play in the top grade.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
25m that is flattering the 'snail'. 40m per game is acceptable but hardly world beating. Will accept that but not his lack of ball skills. Not one try, one assist or a tackle break in his 10 games. How is he going to convince the suits that he is a better deal than the incumbent.
I know it was last year but the try he scored in round 13 against the panthers there is no way that McCullough would have scored from 10 metres out, let alone 90.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Yes, and Robson must have knocked us back. However, I am still a fan of Hunt to 9 and Sullivan to 7.
That would be a really damaging spine with Amone and Ramsey/Sloan but for selfish reasons by the Qlders (Hook, Hunt and Macca) that may not happen. Hunt was brilliant in the Origin and is probably the best No.9 in the comp or at least top 4 together with Api, Cook and Grant. If Hunt wants Saints in the finals for 2023 that would be the best chance for it to happen to have him at No.9.

Do you think he may not want to play hooker because it means replacing his mate Macca? They are pretty tight and Macca wants to stay. They are thick as thieves and as a good mate you would hate to be in that situation.

Dragon David

First Grade
I meant Reece Robson. Deleted my typo but you were too quick for me.
I know that ralph 18 alluded to Reece Robinson and we know you meant Robson baggygreen, but what ralph posted with the name of Reece Robinson is to do with what Mary called Robson a few years ago and that he was ignorant of the names of several of our juniors. I think that was what ralph was joking at.

justadragon

Bench
It still concerns me that with Liddle and possibly the Snail still wanting to play, what happens to Sullivan, we are just about finding every way not to include him in the NRL, FMD it was there for all to see, Hunt at 7 Sully to 9 and interchange during the game, thats it full stop end of story. Did McCullough not see the hooker ratings out a few days ago, give it up mate , let go and enjoy your retirement, you are not going to go up that ladder !!!

Mjab

Juniors
That would be a really damaging spine with Amone and Ramsey/Sloan but for selfish reasons by the Qlders (Hook, Hunt and Macca) that may not happen. Hunt was brilliant in the Origin and is probably the best No.9 in the comp or at least top 4 together with Api, Cook and Grant. If Hunt wants Saints in the finals for 2023 that would be the best chance for it to happen to have him at No.9.

Do you think he may not want to play hooker because it means replacing his mate Macca? They are pretty tight and Macca wants to stay. They are thick as thieves and as a good mate you would hate to be in that situation.
No chance of Hunt playing 9
He doesnt want too , too selfish to do the best for the team
Hook wont do it
the Hookers will be sadly Macca again and /or Liddle , Macca also not doing the right thing for the team ONLY HIMSELF if he stays
I dont think Mbye is great there but hes better than Macca
Id actually just prefer Sullivan there to just be playing first grade, Sullivan 9 MBye 14 as can at least cover a few positions and give Sullivan a rest
If Sullivan not likely to get a run , likely will leave , This is the reality
I just hope Macca is gone , he is a massive liability , cant pass, cant run and cant kick , he can tackle thats it
Service from dummy half poor and slow, cant even pass accurately often passes are not even close mark
I also dont think Hunt could play hooker for a season week in and week out