What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New stadium - 2025

BxTom

Bench
I think Harry Triguboff, Meriton has moved on from developments in NSW he is peeved off from fighting Local Councils and Government generally. I think it was the Meriton Group who had an interest in developing the Paceway site but it has been stalled for some years now and given recent publicity he is no longer interested in doing business in this state. He has been very vocal recently in saying the costs to do business in this state are too prohibitive and just not financially viable. if the biggest builder in Meriton can’t get a development accross the line on the Paceway site im not sure any other developer can.
You will probably find that the paceway is under a trust agreement. Some of these can be very hard to break. If the land is for 'community use' there needs to be a public consultation process. This particular type of trust can't just be ignored by the government. The land could also be for 'recreational use' which is possibly more likely. Still very hard to overturn. Either way, couldn't be sold without one hell of a good reason. Hence the reason Meriton couldn't buy it. I am a Crown Land Manager for a few Crown land reserves and I used to be a trustee for over 150 properties throughout the state. Basic rule is that a trust property must be used for the purpose as outlined in the trust and on top of that the land use type (community or Recreational) adds another layer to the difficulty.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'd be surprised if Meriton made its money from development these days.

My understanding is that they've moved into the services business in that they control all the utilities going in and out of their buildings. They also act as real estate agent for rented apartments. Internet, water, electricity and gas your only option in the building is through one provider.

I'm willing to bet locked monthly income with no risk is a better than outlaying capital on huge projects. Especially in a world moving back to realistic costs of financing.
Wel frankly I have no idea. Only repeating what Harry has been putting out in the media. Harry is or was this countries largest and biggest developer, has moved his operation to Queensland where apparently things are more favourable.

At the end of the day, given current situation, the Paceway are Between a rock and a hard place. The current club premises is dying sadly, so one way or the other they have to sell. Compulsory acquisition may not be ideal, but at the same time if the price is fair and reasonable who can really argue. It is unlikely another developer can achieve what Meriton couldn’t. The Mulgoa Road, Station Street, Castlereagh Street precinct cannot accomodate for a 2,300 housing, commercial development without significant traffic management infrastructure which makes the development not financially viabLe. That’s what is suggested. Station Street has to go one way south, two lanes and Castlereagh Street would have to be two lanes going north One way. I don’t profess to understand the is dynamics just what happened I have been told by a real estate friend of mine.

Kilkenny

Coach
You will probably find that the paceway is under a trust agreement. Some of these can be very hard to break. If the land is for 'community use' there needs to be a public consultation process. This particular type of trust can't just be ignored by the government. The land could also be for 'recreational use' which is possibly more likely. Still very hard to overturn. Either way, couldn't be sold without one hell of a good reason. Hence the reason Meriton couldn't buy it. I am a Crown Land Manager for a few Crown land reserves and I used to be a trustee for over 150 properties throughout the state. Basic rule is that a trust property must be used for the purpose as outlined in the trust and on top of that the land use type (community or Recreational) adds another layer to the difficulty.
I really have no idea other than the fact the Paceway as a club is really no longer financially viable. I am a long term member but rarely patronise the club thru no fault of there own.

Without knowing the legalities of who owns the Paceway I cannot help but think there is a case for selling and relocating the trotting side of the business and building a new facility as has been suggested for a long time. Not dissimilar to the closing of Harold Park and relating to Menangle which has been a commercial success. Relocating the current trotting track to a new purpose built facility at Castlereigh is surely a no brainer. It really isn't about attendances given persons don’t really attend meetings so much now rather it is all about facilities for owners, trainers etc. no one bets on course these days, it us all done off track on phone accounts etc

Munky

Coach
Clause 19.2 of the proposed constitution for the Paceway is interesting.

If I was the state government I'd be doing my best to force a wind up and have the funds go to Panthers who can then contribute them to assisting the stadium build.

Essentially getting the land for free.

Bob

Juniors

The redevelopment of Penrith Stadium will transform the arena into a major event venue, boosting the visitor economy infrastructure. It will not only continue to cater for NRL matches, but also host events that will benefit the entertainment and tourism industries.

Community consultation
To ensure the redevelopment will meet the needs of the community, a 6-week consultation was held, inviting community members and stakeholders for feedback.
More than 3000 community members gave their feedback, providing a clear indication of their vision for the redeveloped stadium. This included calls for:
  • an improved game day experience along with the addition of modern amenities
  • an activated precinct that operates not only on event days, but throughout the week.
During the consultation process, stakeholders acknowledged the current size and layout of the site of the existing stadium would limit the ability for the new stadium to deliver an activated precinct. Some feedback confirmed that building the stadium on an alternative site would allow fixtures to continue to be played in Penrith during the construction period.

Next steps
In response to the feedback, the NSW Government will explore and assess an alternate site for the new stadium and review the scope and design of the new stadium. Commercial negotiations have commenced for the acquisition of the Penrith Paceway site as the site for the Penrith Stadium redevelopment.
The existing Penrith Stadium will continue to be available for the 2023 NRL season, allowing Penrith Panthers and its fans to continue to attend games. This will also provide capacity and flexibility within the stadium network while the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup is underway.
It’s expected that by late 2022, the scope and location of the new Penrith Stadium will be finalised, after which the timing of construction will be confirmed.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
From the Weekender on Thursday

Calling BlueBet home

Regardless of the ongoing stadium saga, you can lock in the 2023 season at BlueBet Stadium.

The Panthers have started negotiations with corporate partners and will soon put memberships for 2023 on sale.

Should the new stadium not go ahead at the Paceway for whatever reason and a re-build of the current venue is back on the table, my understanding is this would not start until the conclusion of the 2023 season.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
The longer it takes to sort out this stadium decision regarding the paceway site, the less likely we will get our new stadium.
NSW political situation is a bit of a rabble at the moment and the public is starting to turn against all this stadium spending. It needs to be sorted ASAP !

forby

Juniors
It is just a continuation of decades of neglect and discrimination from both sides of politics.
Floods, bushfires and ‘business case’ are the excuses that are coming out now!
Maybe they should fail a safety check at the stadium (the SFS ‘excuse’) and see what happens!

luv my panfas

Juniors
It is just a continuation of decades of neglect and discrimination from both sides of politics.
Floods, bushfires and ‘business case’ are the excuses that are coming out now!
Maybe they should fail a safety check at the stadium (the SFS ‘excuse’) and see what happens!
Maybe we can hope for some credible politicians !!! NOT

forby

Juniors
Anything new to report other than Stuart Ayres is still pushing for it from the back bench?

Kilkenny

Coach
Anything new to report other than Stuart Ayres is still pushing for it from the back bench?
He‘ll likely be reinstated to the front bench soon given he has been cleared of any conflict of interest in the John Barilaro appointment. He certainly won’t return as Sports Minister thou.

Who really knows, but my gut feeling is the new stadium will proceed as planned. It really is a different situation to the other proposed upgrades of the other suburban stadiums.

Murraymob1

Juniors
We can kiss the new stadium
Goodbye.minutes from a recent stadium stakeholders meeting they might not have enough money n the budget to buy the paceway sight .This is the start of the back flip