What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 Finals: Parra v Raiders GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 16/9/22

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Very interesting from Muggo. Fast forward to 20 mins + to game analysis.

Just was about to post this. Absolutely gave it to Ricky at the end..his comments on Jack Gibson and Ray price also worth hearing.

Gronk

Staff member
Just was about to post this. Absolutely gave it to Ricky at the end..his comments on Jack Gibson and Ray price also worth hearing.
He gave it to me on my theory that you need GOATS to win a comp. Also reckons that we are too nice.

EelsFan05

Bench
Not forward. But also no reason for Gtuherson not to put himself half a meter back. Watching him run I was thinking to myself get back a little.

Sivo also had his hand on the ball the whole time. I was stunned by that call.
I thought exactly the same. He looked like he was going to be in front just from his positioning.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Astonished and bemused no kicks went to Waqa

This is after Ricky said he would definately send some his way, after a journo raised Clearys kicks to Waqa in the game before. Looks like Ricky was bluffing and sent them all Guthersons way - 24 runs and 216m, thank you very much.

8 players ran for over 150m
14 from the 17 ran over 100m

No cigars for Jakob (only played 15min), Reed and Opacic

Wally21

Bench
Just watched the replay after watching the game on a boys weekend away at the pub.
First of all, what an unbelievable performance. The boys and BA, (and yes I’ve been a critic but credit where credit is due) were outstanding. One of the most complete performances by the team in a number of seasons.
Reg was unbelievable. Junior also. Marata and Lane unbelievable but Papa, was next level.
Our spine was outstanding.
On Canberra, Tapine and Papali’i who???
Jack whigton has a fair bit of grub in him.
And Hudson Young is just pure grub. Not far behind Kafusi in my mind for complete grub merkin

Bandwagon

Staff member
Astonished and bemused no kicks went to Waqa

This is after Ricky said he would definately send some his way, after a journo raised Clearys kicks to Waqa in the game before. Looks like Ricky was bluffing and sent them all Guthersons way - 24 runs and 216m, thank you very much.

8 players ran for over 150m
14 from the 17 ran over 100m

No cigars for Jakob (only played 15min), Reed and Opacic

I think on re-watching we were using Gutho to "hide" Waqa a bit from the kick. They really never got a bomb into his corner, and anything the King could cover on Waqas side he did. So for the most part we really only had Sivo and Gutho back covering the bomb.

Gazzamatta

Coach
There are certainly risks in our bench. We have no genuine hooker on the bench, whilst other teams do. Jake halves sub is really for his kicking game and not disrupting the rest of the team.

If we get through to the GF it will be because we didn’t get any significant injuries or HIAs and BAs risk in rolling the dice has paid off. BA has confidence in Matto and Oregon and he holds his breath when using Makka and Jake. Makka can patch an injury to Lane, Ice, Matto, Marata, Reg, Jnr or Oregon. Jake can patch an injury to Rheed, Mitch or Dylan.

So, is a GF qualifier the right time to be rolling the dice ? Probably yes, because going all conservative now is gutless. Playing gutless is like how we approached the Pennys match, where we were trying not to lose, rather than trying to win.

So with my fingers and everything else crossed, I reckon we stick to what seems to be working.

BTW, I absolutely agree that we should have better options than having to rely on Makka and Jake. Carty can’t be trusted and Brown’s drop in form and/or favour with the coach is a shame. Whilst the Brown issue warrants further examination, now is not the time to be combing through the ashes for answers. Emu’s failure to take a premium opportunity with both hands is immensely disappointing as is Ogden who has only really established himself as a bottom 30 in the depth chart signing.
Emu only got selected in one NRL Team this year and never got off the bench. He had some outstanding numbers at times in the 2s. A case of dropping his head because he wasnt getting a run regardless in my opinion. Oggy was gash.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think on re-watching we were using Gutho to "hide" Waqa a bit from the kick. They really never got a bomb into his corner, and anything the King could cover on Waqas side he did. So for the most part we really only had Sivo and Gutho back covering the bomb.

They seemed to go Gutho middle third more so, and were right down his neck for a few of them

Could have been a tactic, defuse Gutho, or maybe afraid of accuracy and going out of the full towards Waqa, hence easier for Gutho to cover? Fogarty aint no Cleary

Gazzamatta

Coach
They seemed to go Gutho middle third more so, and were right down his neck for a few of them

Could have been a tactic, defuse Gutho, or maybe afraid of accuracy and going out of the full towards Waqa, hence easier for Gutho to cover? Fogarty aint no Cleary
Rickys plan to tire Gutho out. Yeah and we only missed the top 4 because Hodgo went down. You were out coached by BA. Suck it up tiny toad.

The well coached teams would have had the last play the ball happening between the right post and halfway towards the right hand touch line to open up the left hand side of the field to allow them to target Waqa.

‘Well coached’ being the operative term…

TheParraboy

Staff member
The well coached teams would have had the last play the ball happening between the right post and halfway towards the right hand touch line to open up the left hand side of the field to allow them to target Waqa.

‘Well coached’ being the operative term…

Yup fair call that that

Though weird we never pressured Sir Cleary at any point. Be interesting if we get the opportunity again. Provided Penrith can beat Souths of course ;-)

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Emu only got selected in one NRL Team this year and never got off the bench. He had some outstanding numbers at times in the 2s. A case of dropping his head because he wasnt getting a run regardless in my opinion. Oggy was gash.
Well mate we’re all entitled to our opinions.

Makka is being used only when we are in the lead or as a emergency when we get an injury. If we lose a prop, he can play long minutes if needed. Emu can’t. Plenty of clubs have props like Andrew Fafita and manage their rotation to compensate for his short stints, but Emu doesn’t offer those Fafita 1%ers. So why bother ?

Facts are that his inability to play long minutes when required does not fit how the NRL side operates. Should BA change it up to slot in Emu ? Maybe if Emu offered xfactor off the bench, but he doesn’t.

You reckon he dropped his head due to him not being selected ? Is he related to Chris Sandow ? Maybe Fui ? Dr Brad shares young Fui’s famous line when he “dropped his head”.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He played in the dragons game (and Storm where he didn’t get on), made 5 runs 48m, 10 tackles no misses….

Latest posts