What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

lucablight

First Grade
Last time I checked NSW/QLD was in Australia

Happy for any player to represent their heritage if they wish, all the power to them. But then wanting to play in SOO as well just makes a mockery out of the whole concept.

Leaving it the way it is give it 10 years and at least half the players running around for the Origin teams will then be playing for another nation internationally. You will start seeing players being starters for the Kangaroos but then never getting a game of SOO.
Why would you want to deprive origin of some of the best players because they want to represent their country of heritage? I see no reason why you can’t identify as being from both NSW/QLD and Tonga/Samoa. We should be doing whatever we can to grow the international game not putting in road blocks. It would be far more of a mockery to have someone play for Australia even though they wanted to repress their country if heritage just because they wanted to claim the origin money.
In Rugby league terms, The same reason you can’t identify as being from NSW/Qld and NZ/England.
That’s completely arbitrary as well. Those rules were made when there wasn’t such a high level of Polynesian representation in the game and they’re outdated.

Noise

Coach
Why would you want to deprive origin of some of the best players because they want to represent their country of heritage? I see no reason why you can’t identify as being from both NSW/QLD and Tonga/Samoa. We should be doing whatever we can to grow the international game not putting in road blocks. It would be far more of a mockery to have someone play for Australia even though they wanted to repress their country if heritage just because they wanted to claim the origin money.

That’s completely arbitrary as well. Those rules were made when there wasn’t such a high level of Polynesian representation in the game and they’re outdated.
So you are okay with origin players playing for NSW and New Zealand or England?

Noise

Coach
There is a purpose - to improve the competition of league at a world scale - nz and england dont need that help .... and i think its a good reason to do it.

But if they want to make a set of rules around it, then yeah you can include nz and english players if they fit.
With the continual increase in Polynesian and a kiwi players in the NRL, It would get to a point where 75% of origin players are playing for a country other than Australia. So we would have more Australian players who have never represented their state than those who have.

Mickyd39

Juniors
So if your argument is that pacific island nations can identify as both, (growing up in NSW but parents from Tonga)then why not the same rule for those that want to identify with their Kiwi or English parents heritage?
I think the most important thing is what pronoun they use. 🙄

King-Gutho94

Coach
With the continual increase in Polynesian and a kiwi players in the NRL, It would get to a point where 75% of origin players are playing for a country other than Australia. So we would have more Australian players who have never represented their state than those who have.
The way it's going State of Origin will just be another version of Samoa v Tonga.

I reckon we should be either be aiming to have a state of origin like series between Samoa v Tonga on its own while State of Origin is on.

Stop the comp for 3 weeks. Australian players play origin.

So basically Samoa play Tonga in a 3 match series or you have a tri series between Samoa, Tonga and New Zealand in that period each play 2 games whoever finishes on top of the ladder wins the tri series.

That way you build up quality competition for Samoa, Tonga, NZ and they are playing for something every year.

Chipmunk

Coach
The rules around Origin/International eligibility were developed a long time ago, pre-NRL era if I am not mistaken. Yes they have tweaked the Origin eligibility rules a couple of times since, but then the International Rules for NZ/English players to play Origin were done pre-NRL.

At that time, the make up off the competition was different. To start with, there was no team from NZ, and Polynesian players were in the minority.

It was also at a time when you played Origin and then they picked an Australian team straight after and you played a couple of weeks later. It was essentially a trial for Australian selection. Origin is no longer this game, Origin is larger than the international game, and likely always will be into the future. They're separate entities.

They created Origin to make it a better spectacle and more of a contest, as all of the better Qld players were playing in the NSW competition. Is it not time to update the Origin/International eligibility rules to reflect the changing demographics of the game. There is an opportunity to have a win/win here for both sides.

I think the Origin eligibility rules, where I think it is where you played your first game after 12 years of age, is spot on. This stops players who were bought over by clubs from NZ being eligible for Origin, as no one is bringing over any kids under 12, they're all at least 14/15, but mostly older. These kids should never be eligible for Origin.

But why shouldn't have the Cayless brothers, both born in Sydney, not be eligible to play for NSW, as well as being able to represent their country of heritage in NZ?

Look at a player like Keiran Foran, yes he is a Kiwi, who's family moved here for work purposes when he was in primary school. He essentially has grown up in NSW, why shouldn't he have been able to play Origin for NSW, as well as represent NZ. Jordan Rapana moved to the Gold Coast when he was 10, why shouldn't he be eligible to play for Qld and NZ.

The game, and it's rules, has changed in so many ways since this rule was introduced. Why does this one remain stuck in the past?

I don't see why you can't play for Qld or NSW, as well as play for NZ, England, Samoa, Tonga, etc. The game needs to evolve.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Watching a bit of the “experts” commentary this week…..while their tips may be end up being correct…it’s amazing how poor their analysis/reasons are…..

cooper - tips cowboys, fair enough. But it’s on the basis of poor eels defence and only being 8th best….but fails to point out cowboys conceded 30 points against the sharks, while we only conceded 27 against the panthers…..

and far out so many pointing out cowboys last game against us, when they flogged us…..but yet against the raiders, no one looked at our previous game against them…

JokerEel

Coach
Watching a bit of the “experts” commentary this week…..while their tips may be end up being correct…it’s amazing how poor their analysis/reasons are…..

cooper - tips cowboys, fair enough. But it’s on the basis of poor eels defence and only being 8th best….but fails to point out cowboys conceded 30 points against the sharks, while we only conceded 27 against the panthers…..

and far out so many pointing out cowboys last game against us, when they flogged us…..but yet against the raiders, no one looked at our previous game against them…

The "Experts" have less of a clue when picking then the fans do a majority of them choose with Bias.

Cronk QLDer and probably holds a grudge that they had their comp stripped against us.

Jimmy Smith on SEN is bias as against us even though he pretends not to be.

Chipmunk

Coach
The "Experts" have less of a clue when picking then the fans do a majority of them choose with Bias.
Particularly during the season, the "Experts" don't intently watch 8 games a week. I'd say I have watched more minutes of more games of NRL this season than anyone on Fox Sports or Nines NRL Teams.

They all definitely have their bias, but I think so do fans. There are very few "Experts" who didn't play the game and as a result have a bias towards or against some teams.

Most of the journalist "experts" know very little more about how the game is played compared to a lot of fans.

TheParraboy

Staff member
But why shouldn't have the Cayless brothers, both born in Sydney, not be eligible to play for NSW, as well as being able to represent their country of heritage in NZ?

Look at a player like Keiran Foran, yes he is a Kiwi, who's family moved here for work purposes when he was in primary school. He essentially has grown up in NSW, why shouldn't he have been able to play Origin for NSW, as well as represent NZ. Jordan Rapana moved to the Gold Coast when he was 10, why shouldn't he be eligible to play for Qld and NZ.

The game, and it's rules, has changed in so many ways since this rule was introduced. Why does this one remain stuck in the past?

I don't see why you can't play for Qld or NSW, as well as play for NZ, England, Samoa, Tonga, etc. The game needs to evolve.

Problem here as mentioned before by someone else, you would eventually have the majority of the Australian side picked from outside of the origin players, picked from club footy only. Is that how we should evolve ?

Noise

Coach
Sure. If they can identify with both teams. That’s a separate argument right now anyway. The reason that they’re allowing non Australian representative players to play origin is to strengthen tier 2 nations.
Papalii, To’o, Luai et al can still strengthen those tier 2 nations by electing to play for them instead. They just want the origin $$ too.

Noise

Coach
The rules around Origin/International eligibility were developed a long time ago, pre-NRL era if I am not mistaken. Yes they have tweaked the Origin eligibility rules a couple of times since, but then the International Rules for NZ/English players to play Origin were done pre-NRL.

At that time, the make up off the competition was different. To start with, there was no team from NZ, and Polynesian players were in the minority.

It was also at a time when you played Origin and then they picked an Australian team straight after and you played a couple of weeks later. It was essentially a trial for Australian selection. Origin is no longer this game, Origin is larger than the international game, and likely always will be into the future. They're separate entities.

They created Origin to make it a better spectacle and more of a contest, as all of the better Qld players were playing in the NSW competition. Is it not time to update the Origin/International eligibility rules to reflect the changing demographics of the game. There is an opportunity to have a win/win here for both sides.

I think the Origin eligibility rules, where I think it is where you played your first game after 12 years of age, is spot on. This stops players who were bought over by clubs from NZ being eligible for Origin, as no one is bringing over any kids under 12, they're all at least 14/15, but mostly older. These kids should never be eligible for Origin.

I know for a fact that Cayless chose to represent the Kiwis instead of NSW. He made that decision early on. He could have elected NSW instead as was eligible for either. Make these other players choose too.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Have to look to the future and be inclusive moving with the times, rather than mainatin exclusivity for the 1980 cross border idea which came from much simpler times.

Rep weekends x 3 held during the season:

- NSW v Qld series (Sydney, Brisbane and 1 neutral city - Perth/Melbourne?)
- Tonga v Samoa series (Melbourne, Sydney and 1 other city - Perth/Brisbane?)
- NZ Pakeha v NZ Maori series (Auckland, Wellington and 1 other city - Brisbane/Melbourne?)

Haven't catered for PNG/Fiji or Cook Islands heritage/national players, but they could probably be accommodated in Origin or the NZ series somehow? (Or have their own series, kind of as part of a four-way with Tonga and Samoa, held as double-headers with series opponents swapping each year?)

NRL teams all have a rest on those weekends. NSW/Qld Cup (and NZ equivalent) keep playing regular and get elevated to TV status on those weekends to fill the four or five missing spots on the broadcasting deal. Through in regular NRLW games into that broadcasting mix as well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mario wasnt the type to shy away from heavy contact. He wasnt scared and seemed to enjoy putting his head into places others wouldnt .... might be paying a price now.

Was also interesting, his wifes opinion of his time on the footy show. I had got the impression mario enjoyed being the fall guy for the gags, but she didnt see it like that.
A mate of my dad's knows Mario Fenech, and he was over at our place one day shortly after Mario stormed off the set of the footy show. We also assumed Mario was just playing along but this bloke was adamant Mario hated how he was treated by the Footy Show cast. I guess it paid well enough for him to keep going back.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I stopped watching the Thursday night Footy Show when that Beau Ryan merkin would got to Parramatta CBD and put shit on merkins who were a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
I have a mate whose dad got him an internship at one of the TV stations back in the day. He was mostly carrying equipment for one of the news crews. Anyway he reckons for any political news their go-to would be to drive out to 'the western suburbs' to get some vox pop from the dumbest looking bogans they could find. Pretty cruel. Anyway he hated it and joined the army instead.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Cronk QLDer and probably holds a grudge that they had their comp stripped against us.

Jimmy Smith on SEN is bias as against us even though he pretends not to be.
Jimmy Smith is a wanker.

I was at a sportsman lunch a month ago. He was MC.

And being in the heart of parramatta all he wanted to do was mock the Eels and how they are perennial chokers.

While lauding the chooks expecting them to charge into the finals and go deep.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought he was pretty good in his last game. And there's only two possible games to go, so getting rid of him doesn't make sense. Plenty of time to convince him to f**k off after he helps us lift the trophy.
It'll be easier to convince him he won't get a run next year if he doesn't get a run in the finals.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
BA needs to stop saying that he has been in the top 8 for four years. It’s as if @Poupou Escobar is being interviewed.

Just win Friday night and all the doubters will STFU.
The doubters are f**king idiots mate. We're a chance of losing on Friday. That's just a fact, and winning won't mean we were no chance of losing. Putting everything on one game is just dumb. Four years worth of games is a better measure of the coach than the results of week two or three of the finals.