What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Islander owned 18th NRL club.

Colk

First Grade
Him and his dumb shit mate from Perth. Are obsessed with Australian Networks paying what AFL got.

Who cares, money is money NRL on FTA in NZ is a good step to help with that

So money is money. So is $100m the same as $10m or $50m the same as $5m. What a weird argument.

Also, I’m definitely not against a second NZ side and I’d much prefer it than another Brisbane side. I would like 2 perhaps 3 by the time we get to 20 (although the latter would be dependent on a relocation) so I’m an advocate for Kiwi expansion.

I’m just not arguing that it would produce as much money as other options and that is a factor (even if people want to downplay it) when considering expansion.

Iamback

Coach
On terms of "slicing the total population in half", that's technically the truth, but Perth offers the advantage that about 2 million people live in the greater Perth area - a concentration that NZ just can't match.

There are companies ANZ Bank as one, Who sponsor NZ sport but aren't involved in RL or AFL for that matter. If the bid gets someone like that onboard along with access to the PI and it is a much better prospect than Perth

Colk

First Grade
There are companies ANZ Bank as one, Who sponsor NZ sport but aren't involved in RL or AFL for that matter. If the bid gets someone like that onboard along with access to the PI and it is a much better prospect than Perth

If they got ANZ Bank that would be massive.

flippikat

Bench
As far as banks go, ANZ and Westpac are the obvious two for a trans-Tasman competition, as their NZ and Australian brands are the same.

The other 2 big NZ banks that are owned by Australian banks - BNZ (owned by NAB) and ASB (Commonwealth Bank) don't have the same advantage of a unified brand.

Iamback

Coach
As far as banks go, ANZ and Westpac are the obvious two for a trans-Tasman competition, as their NZ and Australian brands are the same.

The other 2 big NZ banks that are owned by Australian banks - BNZ (owned by NAB) and ASB (Commonwealth Bank) don't have the same advantage of a unified brand.

I am sure there are other companies who become options with another NZ team, Hopefully we hear more of it over the next few years and get some great bids

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have they confirmed how much Sky is paying?
Did Spark bid? Losing the cricket would of been a wake up call for Sky
$32.4mill a year according to media. Spark Probably didnt get chance knowing how we negotiate! Spark have bought the RLWC rights.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
On terms of "slicing the total population in half", that's technically the truth, but Perth offers the advantage that about 2 million people live in the greater Perth area - a concentration that NZ just can't match.
That's the point, you've got 2.1million people who live within 1hr or less of hbf park. There's nowhere in NZ that offers half that. NZ2 should be in as team 20 imo.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
It's beyond good, it's almost unbelievable. You've got to give the NRL credit at squeezing that out of Sky.
There was a rival bidder and sky didn’t want them to get the league

plus not only did it involve lots more money there are getting more coverage on fta and also I think support for the nzrl

Iamback

Coach
There was a rival bidder and sky didn’t want them to get the league

plus not only did it involve lots more money there are getting more coverage on fta and also I think support for the nzrl

Part of the Super Rugby deal, They own 5% of NZRU

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's beyond good, it's almost unbelievable. You've got to give the NRL credit at squeezing that out of Sky.
That was the only good part of the deal, and surprise surprise the only part that went to open tender. 60% of our competitors deals sound the norm in both countries lol

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably a smart investment given the likelihood of PI success with stronger sides. Should rate well in NZ.
Yeh you’d think it will draw a decent audience. Streaming is actually a much better platform for tournaments in northern hemisphere with the time difference issue. watch whenever you want, watching minis if not wanting to sit through whole game etc. if stan had have got it I’d have cancelled my kayo till next year and signed up with them for it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As for the idea of a PI team I’m still not convinced but will be interesting to watch how the union version plays out before we have to make a decision on nz2 in a few years time.

The Great Dane

First Grade
As for the idea of a PI team I’m still not convinced but will be interesting to watch how the union version plays out before we have to make a decision on nz2 in a few years time.
Moana Pasifika isn’t really a PI team in any meaningful way.

They’re really just a team for Kiwis of Islander heritage. They’re based in Auckland and play out of Mt Smart, and their main target audience and fanbase is made up of people of Samoan and Tongan heritage from the Southside of Auckland.

Their existence does little to nothing to improve RU on the ground in the Islands themselves, and is indicative of a sad trend of regression within western society and the abandonment of universal principles.

If the NRL’s goal is to improve RL in the PI’s, and gazump Moana Pasifika in the process, then finding a feasible way to fund and grow the sport on the ground in the PIs is the way to do it, not building a token pro-team.

Colk

First Grade
Moana Pasifika isn’t really a PI team in any meaningful way.

They’re really just a team for Kiwis of Islander heritage. They’re based in Auckland and play out of Mt Smart, and their main target audience and fanbase is made up of people of Samoan and Tongan heritage from the Southside of Auckland.

Their existence does little to nothing to improve RU on the ground in the Islands themselves, and is indicative of a sad trend of regression within western society and the abandonment of universal principles.

If the NRL’s goal is to improve RL in the PI’s, and gazump Moana Pasifika in the process, then finding a feasible way to fund and grow the sport on the ground in the PIs is the way to do it, not building a token pro-team.

Totally agree. The logistics though of any type of side trying to represent all of the Islands is the problem. Where do you base them? Do you play their games in several islands or do you play their games at one ground? How do you market the team so that it is inclusive of and accepted by, the different races and cultures of the Island nations?

Latest posts