What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 360 + other footy shows

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s not that hard to understand. We’ve been waiting 13 years since our last grand final and 36 years since our last premiership. We are burdened by the weight of history and the Cowboys are not. We’ve often been stopped by teams that are filled with superstars. This is about as good as it gets for a week 3 opponent. If not now then when? Would the Panthers have been excused for losing last season when they played one of the statistically best sides of all time in QLD? Or would it have been seen as a failure?
The idea of success and failure is stupid in an endeavor that requires some luck. It's not like coaches have any more control over the result of a finals match than any other match in their career.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
FFS, this bullshit dialogue again... This is a big game - our biggest for many years.

This big game a test of the players' and coach's mettle. Judgment - on that basis - will be made on the outcome of this one game. So what's the point of even trotting out the sample size nonsense again?
See above

lucablight

First Grade
The idea of success and failure is stupid in an endeavor that requires some luck. It's not like coaches have any more control over the result of a finals match than any other match in their career.
You didn’t answer the question. If Penrith failed to win the competition last season with the position they put themselves in would they have failed or just been unlucky?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure. But the stats would be 3/11 and our only win in finals under BA was against teams who finished 7th or 8th and where the worse side in the finals series.
Well I judge a team's quality on their points differential. In that sense we haven't had a top four team since 2007. It's possible you could blame the coach for that but Arthur's hasn't been here the entire time. I'd say there is something structural holding us back from matching the top clubs over the past 15 years. I certainly don't think there's enough data to judge Arthur's ability to win big games based on 11 finals matches, even if we beat the Cowboys tomorrow.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well I judge a team's quality on their points differential. In that sense we haven't had a top four team since 2007. It's possible you could blame the coach for that but Arthur's hasn't been here the entire time. I'd say there is something structural holding us back from matching the top clubs over the past 15 years. I certainly don't think there's enough data to judge Arthur's ability to win big games based on 11 finals matches, even if we beat the Cowboys tomorrow.

Yeah but the thing is sometimes sides have injuries and don't put it together untill late. And some sides play a more expansive style so they can belt weak sides and put in a lot of points. Think the Sharks.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It wouldn’t be a problem if you could answer the question honestly any other way.
Well I can answer it honestly. Whether it's judged a failure depends on who you ask. Even if winning a premiership is the sole measure of success for a team in a given season (one winner and 15 losers) it absolutely isn't the measure of success for a coach, because they don't all have access to the same resourcing. It's also not the measure of success for a player because it's a team game.

I expect dopes to answer differently, hence my answer to your original question.