What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

qld redvee

Juniors
Latest Hunt saga snippet. He is hanging out for a bigger offer from FO, that has dug in its heels prompting fresh overtures from outside suitors. Hunt's ego and greed is as big as he is.
baggers
nrl 360 said last night we are about 100 thousand short and he ( hunt) is after about 900...
Now we cant go down this path and throw that coin at him in my opinion

TruSaint

Referee
Ahh but they retained the other experienced half that has helped steer the ship.

Throwing 2 rookie halves together and expecting them to lead us to success is asking for trouble. Tell me which team in the top 8 has 2 rookie halves?

Fair.

My point is this. Hunt aint worth at his age what's been asked. As a supporter, having endured 11 years of " but we didn't get the spoon ", and signing the likes of McCulloch , Woods, Norman etc, I am more than happy to see where a new path takes us.

Hunt plays out of his skin for Qld off the bench as a nine.

He can take one for the team and play at hooker.
Club ahead of egos.

He is the best player in a bog average side.

RedVee_8

Juniors
baggers
nrl 360 said last night we are about 100 thousand short and he ( hunt) is after about 900...
Yeah but they say lots of stuff. How Do they know these details? I’m sure the club isn’t talking (getting them to talk is the problem usually), so I guess Hunts manager is trying to put the pressure on.
either that they are talking shit

True_Believer

Juniors
Hunt plays out of his skin for Qld off the bench as a nine.
Off the bench. As a 9. For 3 games a year. With Grant coming on and pushing Hunt into a "3rd half" role.

Hunt finished the year at the top of the table for missed tackles. Can't see that getting better or benefitting the team with him in the middle. He fits a role in the QLD team with quality players across the park, but I can't see that working for a full year with the remainder of the spine being essentially rookies.

Old Timer

Coach
Off the bench. As a 9. For 3 games a year. With Grant coming on and pushing Hunt into a "3rd half" role.

Hunt finished the year at the top of the table for missed tackles. Can't see that getting better or benefitting the team with him in the middle. He fits a role in the QLD team with quality players across the park, but I can't see that working for a full year with the remainder of the spine being essentially rookies.
Well done a very sensible appraisal of the reality that is Ben Hunt not the myth.
His defence at times is brilliant and is always highlighted but for the most part it is questionable and barely mentioned let alone acknowledged.

TruSaint

Referee

Agree to disagree.

Not with the stats, but rather the overall status of the Club.

He is a good halfback at the end of his career. Not worth an extension whereby he determines where he plays.

I know you love the Club as much as I do mate.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The board has 100 grand leverage.
BHunt gets the extra $$ if he plays hooker. In the overall scheme of things well worth it!
Agree, i think thats what could well be playing out, maybe not necessarily during the first half of the year….

Dragons4me

Juniors
I've said it previously but I'll take 2022 results in 2023 with Bud and Junior in the halves with or without Hunt because they're our future. In fact Hunt's new contract money will go a long way to upgrade and recruit.

Apologies. No idea how or why bold text!

True_Believer

Juniors
Penrith 2 full seasons ago when they lost a GF.
I wouldn't consider Cleary a rookie at that point. He debuted in 2016 and was playing regular footy from 2017 onwards. Not as experienced as someone like Hunt, but he had 3 or 4 full seasons under his belt playing alongside some very experienced halves during that time.

Luai debuted in 2018 but didn't get any serious game time until 2020. So I would have considered him a rookie at that point.

It does highlight that these players are not brought through as halves pairings together. That these teams pair these young players with experienced halves to begin with.

I don't believe Hunt is a hooker so for me the only position he should be playing is half. IMO we need an experienced half in there for at least another season. If it's not Hunt, it's someone else. The benefit of retaining Hunt is that he is at the end of his career. If you bring in someone else, you risk blocking pathways for longer and losing players.

I'm not anti or pro Hunt. My point is I believe we need an experienced half and given Hunt is there already, knows the players, is at the end of his career, it makes sense to retain him for the right sum.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
I wouldn't consider Cleary a rookie at that point. He debuted in 2016 and was playing regular footy from 2017 onwards. Not as experienced as someone like Hunt, but he had 3 or 4 full seasons under his belt playing alongside some very experienced halves during that time.

Luai debuted in 2018 but didn't get any serious game time until 2020. So I would have considered him a rookie at that point.

It does highlight that these players are not brought through as halves pairings together. That these teams pair these young players with experienced halves to begin with.

I don't believe Hunt is a hooker so for me the only position he should be playing is half. IMO we need an experienced half in there for at least another season. If it's not Hunt, it's someone else. The benefit of retaining Hunt is that he is at the end of his career. If you bring in someone else, you risk blocking pathways for longer and losing players.

I'm not anti or pro Hunt. My point is I believe we need an experienced half and given Hunt is there already, knows the players, is at the end of his career, it makes sense to retain him for the right sum.
You've made some good points for not resigning Hunt
Hunt is still with us next year so by 2024 amone will have 70 games under his belt playing along side an expirenced half, so he could hardly be called a rookie.
Yes and extending Hunt you risk blocking pathways for Sullivan and losing him.
As you said Cleary debut in in 16 and was playing regular FG I'm 17
Sullivan debut in 20 but will have to wait to 2026 to play half.....
We have Hunt for next year it a easy transition to get get Sullivan to take over and save a million a year on the cap.

1.2 next year and he want 1,8 for the next 2 no way in the world is he worth 3 million dollars at the end of his career

baggers
No way. He wasn't worth that when we first signed him. I heard we offered him 700K.

Reactions: Qdf