What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
The most damaging thing would be if they do a review of all their clubs and similar results come out. I hope they do to be honest.

I was at the pub and the fumbles were on and the biggest thing that I noticed was the pro indigenous song at halftime (Solid Rock - Goanna). In light of what happened it was so incredibly tacky and stupefyingly hypocritical.
To give Greenberg some credit he did a great job penalising players and cleaning up the games image

afls arrogance means they think they are above criticism so won’t change a single thing

guys like Eddie McGuire and Jeff Kennett are the typical type you find in their leadership roles

Billythekid

First Grade
The most damaging thing would be if they do a review of all their clubs and similar results come out. I hope they do to be honest.

I was at the pub and the fumbles were on and the biggest thing that I noticed was the pro indigenous song at halftime (Solid Rock - Goanna). In light of what happened it was so incredibly tacky and stupefyingly hypocritical.
The players didn’t voluntarily come forward in fact none of them wanted to come out with this story (because it rehashed the traumas and makes them a target for more hate). This is undoubtably just the tip of the ice berg.

Billythekid

First Grade
Record low ratings. Seems like the general public has had enough of the constant racism.
For now. The problem for the AFL is that this all became public the week of the GF. By next season the general public will have forgotten.

The big question is what fallout will there be. Will the AFL or any independent bodies look for further similar problems? If it drags on it might have more impact on the future.

If they can just sack those involved and move on I doubt we see any lasting impact.

Colk

First Grade
For now. The problem for the AFL is that this all became public the week of the GF. By next season the general public will have forgotten.

The big question is what fallout will there be. Will the AFL or any independent bodies look for further similar problems? If it drags on it might have more impact on the future.

If they can just sack those involved and move on I doubt we see any lasting impact.

It depends on if they review other clubs and they uncover similar details across the whole competition.

Fumbleball fans, in particular casual fans (who actually care about racism) can come back at this time and say well this is terrible but it is isolated to one or two clubs. If it is a competition wide thing, then that defence gets thrown out the window and you’d think that it would turn away casual viewers and multicultural viewers at the very least. The brand would take a long time to recover

Pippen94

First Grade
It depends on if they review other clubs and they uncover similar details across the whole competition.

Fumbleball fans, in particular casual fans (who actually care about racism) can come back at this time and say well this is terrible but it is isolated to one or two clubs. If it is a competition wide thing, then that defence gets thrown out the window and you’d think that it would turn away casual viewers and multicultural viewers at the very least. The brand would take a long time to recover

Has nothing to do with. Adam Goodes saga didn't turn fans off so nothing like that will. TV ratings down because TV dying (well main reason). Swans support here is overblown too

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m surprised two nrl sydney clubs in a prelim drew less than 10% more viewers in Sydney than a Sydney afl club in their gf tbh. I didn’t think anyone in Sydney other than the 50k attending followed afl?

Pippen94

First Grade
I’m surprised two nrl sydney clubs in a prelim drew less than 10% more viewers in Sydney than a Sydney afl club in their gf tbh. I didn’t think anyone in Sydney other than the 50k attending followed afl?

If i read right 700k on kayo & fox. But most of them from Perth huh?!

Billythekid

First Grade
This is a weird framing to me. Ultimately the AFL GF is possibly their worse rating GF ever whilst the NRL PF drew a really good audience (almost matching the AFL despite previous weeks being well behind).

Also how are we comparing their ratings? We know NRL fans are transitioning to fox/kayo in droves so unless we know that breakdown you can’t really compare.

Pippen94

First Grade
This is a weird framing to me. Ultimately the AFL GF is possibly their worse rating GF ever whilst the NRL PF drew a really good audience (almost matching the AFL despite previous weeks being well behind).

Also how are we comparing their ratings? We know NRL fans are transitioning to fox/kayo in droves so unless we know that breakdown you can’t really compare.

Just a Perth red troll. Afl gf is always big deal in any metro. With pay & streaming
NRL probably did close to double. Swans in gf really under performed

Perth Red

Post Whore
looks around 100k down on their recent norm. Maybe being an expansion team and a regional team impacted compared to when a melbourne team is in it?
either way Good to see Storm can get bigger audiences in melbourne for its gf’s than swans in Sydney.

Colk

First Grade
Has nothing to do with. Adam Goodes saga didn't turn fans off so nothing like that will. TV ratings down because TV dying (well main reason). Swans support here is overblown too

First of all, how do you know it (the Goods saga) didn’t turn people off.

Secondly, if the accusations are true this is a lot lot worse than the Goodes saga. You can’t really deflect this or provide an excuse for what happened at Hawthorn.

Billythekid

First Grade
looks around 100k down on their recent norm. Maybe being an expansion team and a regional team impacted compared to when a melbourne team is in it?
either way Good to see Storm can get bigger audiences in melbourne for its gf’s than swans in Sydney.
Meh I’ll have to go back and look at previous ratings but I thought traditionally swans GF rated really well generally. I’m not sure that’s a good excuse.

Also regional or not Geelong has the 7th most members in the AFL, it’s hardly a small club.

Edit: just quickly strolling back through previous GF’s and yeah swans usually rate super highly (the highest one since 2000 was a swans GF for example). IF anything I remember us joking on this forum that the AFL would rig the comp for the swans for exactly that reason.

the lowest ratings for a swines GF .... ever ... In sydney
yet the forum court jester deflects to Sydneys FTA ratings for a.......... prelim final

probably another 300K of the 750K on STV were from Sydney as well
so thats

next week more Sydneysiders will watch the NRL GF , then mongbournians did the racistball GF
wow
just wow

All Sydney GF, I doubt we'll beat their national numbers but let's see
you've got to be having a larf
Parramatta in.. they have a huge following right across .. certainly NSW the ACT & QLD

the NRL will dust the 3.006 mill racistball rated & quite easily I predict , placing Australias games biggest event...
5th biggest ... In the only country on earth where anyone gives a f**k about it .. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Latest posts