What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Colk

First Grade
N

No we don’t

we are already dominating afl without Perth

if we never got a team in Perth but added other areas we would still be ahead of afl

we will eventually add a team there but it’s not essential

in terms of afl markets we are already in the one that counts

Yeah we are beating them in ratings but how is that going for us? You can’t tell me that fumbleball having teams in all the metro markets doesn’t matter.

If it didn’t have a bearing as you say, they would have done exactly what we did and put teams in regional centres/small markets like Dandenong, Bendigo, Bulleen, ACT, NT or Tas instead of Sydney and Brisbane. They did what they did because that is what advertisers want.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one has seen the deals, Hell no one knows what the deal is.

There could be all sorts of clauses in it to re visit it later, Like I said we wait and see
The news article begged to differ where he clearly stated there was no written agreement to obligate Fox to relook at the price agreed. But hey, maybe he has their word? lol

Colk

First Grade
No one has seen the deals, Hell no one knows what the deal is.

There could be all sorts of clauses in it to re visit it later, Like I said we wait and see

The only clauses that would matter would be the following:

1. If there is a ninth game to be sold, then the contract would be up for tender. Do you really think that broadcasters would be stupid enough to let that clause in? I hope so but I doubt it
2. A clause wherein the NRL would receive the difference between what was paid to the AFL if the deal was greater than. A clause which it has been reported that Fox explicitly rejected.

All the reports have suggested thus far is a believed (from the NRL’s side) mutual understanding (verbal again) that they would revisit the deal. How do you think that is going to play out?

Iamback

Coach
The only clauses that would matter would be the following:

1. If there is a ninth game to be sold, then the contract would be up for tender. Do you really think that broadcasters would be stupid enough to let that clause in? I hope so but I doubt it
2. A clause wherein the NRL would receive the difference between what was paid to the AFL if the deal was greater than. A clause which it has been reported that Fox explicitly rejected.

All the reports have suggested thus far is a believed (from the NRL’s side) mutual understanding (verbal again) that they would revisit the deal. How do you think that is going to play out?

Fox Sports loses NRL or AFL they are gone.

IF NRL agreed to help Fox forward plan. Then once the financial situation became better then you'd have to of put a clause in to revisit the deal.

That time is now or you opening start talking for 2028, Sooner if you get them for breach of contract

Colk

First Grade
Fox Sports loses NRL or AFL they are gone.

IF NRL agreed to help Fox forward plan. Then once the financial situation became better then you'd have to of put a clause in to revisit the deal.

That time is now or you opening start talking for 2028, Sooner if you get them for breach of contract

That’s all well and good but it’s a long bow in relation to the (soon to be) current deal. Nobody forced V’Landys to sign that contract, he didn’t have a gun held to his head.

As the contracts have been signed, Fox hold the power.

Also, after what has happened, do you think it is too much for V’Landys to learn from his mistake. Instead of trying to re-negotiate an existing deal with one of the partners and essentially giving away any power that you have in the negotiations why is it so hard to think that maybe putting it all out to tender is a better idea.

The only way to get News Limited to pay what you think you’re worth is to present them with the possibility that they might lose the rights. Re-negotiating a current deal isn’t doing that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s all well and good but it’s a long bow in relation to the (soon to be) current deal. Nobody forced V’Landys to sign that contract, he didn’t have a gun held to his head.

Also, after what has happened, do you think it is too much for V’Landys to learn from his mistake. Instead of trying to re-negotiate an existing deal with one of the partners and essentially giving away any power that you have in the negotiations why is it so hard to think that maybe putting it all out to tender is a better idea.

The only way to get News Limited to pay what you think you’re worth is to present them with the possibility that they might lose the rights. Re-negotiating a current deal isn’t doing that.
Ironically he literally said that himself in the webster article, but is now once again allegedly renegotiating with the incumbent with no competition lol

Steel Saints

Juniors
The NRL should just leave the deal alone until 2027. They have alot of work to do to prepare for the 2028 deal and beyond. Hopefully in the next two years, the ratings hold steady and then take it to the marketplace in 2025.

If (and a big IF) the NRL does all the work, which i will outline in another thread, then they too will also get a healthy increase.

Colk

First Grade
The NRL should just leave the deal alone until 2027. They have alot of work to do to prepare for the 2028 deal and beyond. Hopefully in the next two years, the ratings hold steady and then take it to the marketplace in 2025.

If (and a big IF) the NRL does all the work, which i will outline in another thread, then they too will also get a healthy increase.

That would require us to have intelligent leadership

Iamback

Coach

Because as much as people hate Fox Sports, They are best equiped for broadcast. The one truth in Gil's AFL broadcast announcement was that Paramount aren't set up to properly broadcast the game

Stan is just as bad.

So if Fox comes to the party then no reason to leave, If they don't then talk to the others. I'd give them to the 1st qtr payment due date so it doesn't drag out

Steel Saints

Juniors
That would require us to have intelligent leadership
It's frustrating to see the sport fare pretty well in the ratings and it has so much content to sell. But we still have boneheads in charge.

Media landscape and technology is changing rapidly, and the NRL can really benefit greatly financially.

Colk

First Grade
Because as much as people hate Fox Sports, They are best equiped for broadcast. The one truth in Gil's AFL broadcast announcement was that Paramount aren't set up to properly broadcast the game

Stan is just as bad.

So if Fox comes to the party then no reason to leave, If they don't then talk to the others. I'd give them to the 1st qtr payment due date so it doesn't drag out

There’s no pressure on them to do it, that’s the sum of everything.

Why would they make a decision on something that has only just been signed and is not going to change for another 5 years. Even if you were to threaten them, they can simply say well you are locked in for the next five years - come back to us in 2026 or 2027.

Also you could talk to Paramount or Stan if you want but what are you going to do. Again you couldn’t break the contract if you wanted to and seriously it’s 2028. Could you hold on to any word given on something projected that far in the future?

There is literally no leverage in this situation unless there is a clause in the contract (which has never been mentioned) or the contract could be voided (good luck with that)

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s no pressure on them to do it, that’s the sum of everything.

Why would they make a decision on something that has only just been signed and is not going to change for another 5 years. Even if you were to threaten them, they can simply say well you are locked in for the next five years - come back to us in 2026 or 2027.

Also you could talk to Paramount or Stan if you want but what are you going to do. Again you couldn’t break the contract if you wanted to and seriously it’s 2028. Could you hold on to any word given on something projected that far in the future?

There is literally no leverage in this situation unless there is a clause in the contract (which has never been mentioned) or the contract could be voided (good luck with that)
Only pressure would be in good faith negotiation of next deal. I suspect that is how AFL got 7 and Fox to pay back the covid reduction with the $946mill 23&24 deal. Id be surprised if they didn't get last right option for this deal out of that payback. If Fox will blink knowing how weak our leadership is is highly doubtful. Our dominant tv ratings are not translating to dominant tv deals and we need to answer why.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah we are beating them in ratings but how is that going for us? You can’t tell me that fumbleball having teams in all the metro markets doesn’t matter.

If it didn’t have a bearing as you say, they would have done exactly what we did and put teams in regional centres/small markets like Dandenong, Bendigo, Bulleen, ACT, NT or Tas instead of Sydney and Brisbane. They did what they did because that is what advertisers want.
Lmao you are comparing our regional areas to theirs ?

their regionals are empty

kangaroos don’t count

Wb1234

Referee

Stan is just as bad.

All we need is Stan to bid 500 million for the whole game and Foxtel would have to pay through the nose

just one rival bidder could see foxtel actually paying a sport 400 million pa

Frank Burge

Juniors
If Fox won’t come to the party I would like to see Perth come in for 2025 and sell the 9th game to Stan , maybe on a Monday night, I know it’s only one game a week but I like to watch every game and the extra day of footy would make it worth $15-$20 per month, just to piss fox off

Dodgy

Juniors
Anecdotal evidence.

I was at Phillip Island to spectate at amateur car racing on the weekend. As much as I like it, it's not that big a deal for me to miss the GF. So when it's time, I go back to my motel room to watch it.

But the game was over as a contest pretty early. I then ended up half watching the game and half watching the youtube live stream of the racing I was in Phillip island for.

I kind of don't get how the attendance of the game was full, but the ratings were optimal?

Colk

First Grade
Lmao you are comparing our regional areas to theirs ?

their regionals are empty

kangaroos don’t count

That’s exactly right. Instead of putting teams in regional areas (I’ll give you Geelong and Gold Coast) they put their teams in metro areas.

Compare their list of advertisers and their TV deal to ours and tell me that their metro reach isn’t important

Steel Saints

Juniors

Stan is just as bad.

To be fair to Paramount Plus, they have only been around for just over 12 months. They are still a fledgling service. For the NRL, we are talking about 2028. Whilst the AFL were looking at 2025.

Iamback

Coach
To be fair to Paramount Plus, they have only been around for just over 12 months. They are still a fledgling service. For the NRL, we are talking about 2028. Whilst the AFL were looking at 2025.

Some apartment blocks struggle to have quality internet, How many pubs or clubs could effectively run multiple screens via streaming?

Latest posts