What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Colk

First Grade
Disposable income is also some dumb shit.

How many adds are for things in FIRE related fields that don't come under disposable consumption, like mortgages and insurance?

Sure, Sydneysiders might have a higher proportion of money tied up in their home loan but guess what, that is still a product that is advertised to them.

I don’t see many insurance ads during football coverage. Most of it is gambling or alcohol which requires disposable income.

Insurance ads are usually done during the daytime.

t-ba

Post Whore
I don’t see many insurance ads during football coverage. Most of it is gambling or alcohol which requires disposable income.

Insurance ads are usually done during the daytime.

See Plenty of ads for Youi and AAMI on Kayo.

Colk

First Grade

There would be still be more during the day. The economic argument for that is that such financial decisions (insurance/banking) are typically made by females in a family; hence why they are on during the day or during the news, as opposed to sporting contests. Sport is escapism.

Perth Red

Post Whore
P
Probably less than 10%.
Harvey Norman, Bunnings, fast food, betting, alcohol. Food delivery, cars. That’d be the main adds on during sports. I’m particularly fond of when they run the same kfc ad Three times in a break!

Billythekid

First Grade
The thing is the argument about where the advertising money goes is one that shouldn’t matter to the NRL because unlike the AFL we have the potential to go to all markets. The NRL can absolutely put teams in Perth and Adelaide and truly cover the national market. Shit when we get a NZ 2 we will have fantastic coverage across Australia and NZ which has to be great for those businesses in both countries.

The NRL can absolutely make this a moot point if we actually go with expansion teams in the future and not yet another NSW or QLD team.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I have heard previously that Sydney and Melbourne attracts over 75% of all advertising spend in Australia, this was around 10 years ago so may have changed since
News Corp set the Storm up because they knew they could still attract national advertisers if the had the 3 Eastern States.

Listen to this podcast with ABC journo Paul Kennedy from the 37th minute

Perth Red

Post Whore
News Corp set the Storm up because they knew they could still attract national advertisers if the had the 3 Eastern States.

Listen to this podcast with ABC journo Paul Kennedy from the 37th minute

Then can you explain why afl attract much bigger sponsorship deals and tv deals if it isnt due to their metro reach? We have bigger audience reach so what’s the differentiator between the two comps?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
More money is spent in the Sydney tv ad market than Melbourne ..

Wouldn't that mean NRL would always get a better tv deal from FTA based on this 5 city bullshit logic

Perth Red

Post Whore

Wouldn't that mean NRL would always get a better tv deal from FTA based on this 5 city bullshit logic
3 metro reach compared to 5 metro reach. Advertisers don’t want to miss out on 15% of the Australian market

The_Wookie

Bench

In Sydney, the NRL averaged 157,000 on 9 for the season
In Melbourne, the AFL average for 2022 on 7 was 223,000. FActor in a longer match time and far more ad breaks - quarter time, 3/4 time, after every goal....and you might see why

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Saw somewhere 7 plus did 90000 on Saturday for AFL BVOD

State of origin II did 420,000 for nine now BVOD

Surely something is a miss here

The_Wookie

Bench
Saw somewhere 7 plus did 90000 on Saturday for AFL BVOD

State of origin II did 420,000 for nine now BVOD

Surely something is a miss here

95,000. About half what it was last year. Note that Seven only have rights to stream to very specific devices - this is changing in 2025 to the same broader BVOD that Nine have with the NRL now.

I doubt NRL GF will crack 2.5m metro ratings. While there is hype in Sydney, it's like fumblers saying a Carlton Collingwood GF will smash ratings coz of the hype.

Iamback

Coach
In Sydney, the NRL averaged 157,000 on 9 for the season
In Melbourne, the AFL average for 2022 on 7 was 223,000. FActor in a longer match time and far more ad breaks - quarter time, 3/4 time, after every goal....and you might see why

Which is why the comparison those making for NRL to be unders is flawed.

The 3 games on FTA NRL is 240 mins
3 AFL games is 360 mins

NRL fans have had to have pay TV for a while, So FTA alone ratings are lower
Not to mention the qtrs compared to 1/2's

I hate AFL as much as the next person but there is no way to a TV network the 2 are equal

Colk

First Grade
Which is why the comparison those making for NRL to be unders is flawed.

The 3 games on FTA NRL is 240 mins
3 AFL games is 360 mins

NRL fans have had to have pay TV for a while, So FTA alone ratings are lower
Not to mention the qtrs compared to 1/2's

I hate AFL as much as the next person but there is no way to a TV network the 2 are equal

You are only quoting FTA figures so stop bring disingenuous.

Again were you making this argument prior to the two deals being struck?

Iamback

Coach
You are only quoting FTA figures so stop bring disingenuous.

Again were you making this argument prior to the two deals being struck?

Because we only know the FTA for both deals

Well we know ch7 are paying $170m just don't know the contra. So $170m - $130m

Yes, I never once said ch9 should pay more for NRL than AFL gets FTA.

Fox deals possibly as they have no ads during play and it is where NRL flogs AFL, Though still there is the content and minutes of play

Canard

Immortal
There was quite a lot of exceptional circumstances that lead to the low result though:

- A once in a lifetime Extra Long weekend after two years of lockdown during the AFL Grand Finals
- First day time GF in 3 years
- A complete non-contest from the mid part of the 1st quarter onwards

But I would say that last Saturday is the beginning of the end for daytime Grand Finals in the AFL.

I think the NRL GF being during primetime will lead to a good number across all cities and have a chance to be watched by more casuals, but it will come down to the contest in the end. It feels a bit like the AFL, in that Penrith may blow it out early and lead all match.