What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Islander owned 18th NRL club.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Yeah, exactly - and the point of my "thinking out loud" was to raise that concern. No way is the broadcast money from a PI team going to match a big metro market, heck even a 2nd NZ team would be lucky to get near it.

Perth & Adelaide need to have teams, and that brings us to 19 (assuming no existing NRL club goes broke/merges/relocates to take it to 18 with Perth & Adelaide).

Then that 20th team is wide open.
I'd love a team here but the $60m is where would they play?

Adelaide Oval is too big and the AFL clubs wouldn't be happy at the state of the field after games and Coopers Stadium is too small and not to mention the English style short in goals from being a football stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd love a team here but the $60m is where would they play?

Adelaide Oval is too big and the AFL clubs wouldn't be happy at the state of the field after games and Coopers Stadium is too small and not to mention the English style short in goals from being a football stadium.
would be dependant on coopers getting a new main stand same as hbf park got to get it over 20k. at 16.5k it’s not far off but needs another main undercover stand

Pippen94

First Grade
Haha predating that novel

The character is Colonel Korn off Catch-22 which is the greatest novel ever written (in my opinion of course).

Do you know how close i was to getting that?! Looked at wiki page for book but couldn't see any col.k. Never read that but know art garfunkal was in movie

Colk

First Grade
Do you know how close i was to getting that?! Looked at wiki page for book but couldn't see any col.k. Never read that but know art garfunkal was in movie

It is a fantastic book. Highly recommend it. Brilliantly acerbic and witty. The movie doesn’t do it justice (wasn’t bad but as with a lot of films, the novels are better)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
On terms of "slicing the total population in half", that's technically the truth, but Perth offers the advantage that about 2 million people live in the greater Perth area - a concentration that NZ just can't match.
Not really that different to Auckland- you’ve got 1.5M in Auckland and there would be another 500k or so in the Waikato next door. Half of NZs population is north of Rotorua.

The Pastoral Christian Brothers Leprechauns Club that played in the BRL was divisive. I won't support Logan Brothers for the fact they're part of the Pastoral Brothers Confraternity and use an outdated logo from the early 20th century that focuses on Irish mythology.

Colk

First Grade
Not really that different to Auckland- you’ve got 1.5M in Auckland and there would be another 500k or so in the Waikato next door. Half of NZs population is north of Rotorua.

I wouldn’t want a second side there whilst the Warriors are struggling. You would be just eating into their support.

A second team over there is a must. As an outsider, I like the idea of a South vs North Island rivalry but again I don’t though if that would actually work. Is there such a rivalry?

MugaB

Coach
I wouldn’t want a second side there whilst the Warriors are struggling. You would be just eating into their support.

A second team over there is a must. As an outsider, I like the idea of a South vs North Island rivalry but again I don’t though if that would actually work. Is there such a rivalry?
bopsteam.png
Head far South- east of Auckland has the area of Bay of Plenty STEEEEEAAAAMMMEERRRRSSSS!!!!!

Auckland would be the site for another franchise, RL doesn't have an appitete to create new territory... only take their talent, so when they talk of taking the fight to RU or AFL, they just mean dropping in another club in the area to increase pathways, not expand to Christchurch or Wellington, if they go NZ2 theyll be a guaranteed 6pm friday night slot just for Mount smart, featuring either the warriors or NZ2... they'll just create a point of difference saying its focusing on the eastern side of north island.. ala the same excuse as the "northern corridor of SEQ" for the dolphins... there's that triangle of Hamilton, Tauranga, and Rotorua, and sharing mount smart with Hamilton would be the play... it means its a small step out of Auckland, whilst still being involved in it, also could create a local rivalry,
the whole north/south island is too far away, it would only be a media beef up... need to have neighbors feel the hate.. like dragons/sharks, or panthers/eels... Wellington and Christchurch are too far away and not currently in love with RL as much as Auckland is on its own

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
View attachment 66711
Head far South- east of Auckland has the area of Bay of Plenty STEEEEEAAAAMMMEERRRRSSSS!!!!!

Auckland would be the site for another franchise, RL doesn't have an appitete to create new territory... only take their talent, so when they talk of taking the fight to RU or AFL, they just mean dropping in another club in the area to increase pathways, not expand to Christchurch or Wellington, if they go NZ2 theyll be a guaranteed 6pm friday night slot just for Mount smart, featuring either the warriors or NZ2... they'll just create a point of difference saying its focusing on the eastern side of north island.. ala the same excuse as the "northern corridor of SEQ" for the dolphins... there's that triangle of Hamilton, Tauranga, and Rotorua, and sharing mount smart with Hamilton would be the play... it means its a small step out of Auckland, whilst still being involved in it, also could create a local rivalry,
the whole north/south island is too far away, it would only be a media beef up... need to have neighbors feel the hate.. like dragons/sharks, or panthers/eels... Wellington and Christchurch are too far away and not currently in love with RL as much as Auckland is on its own

Steamers. I wonder how rival fans will mock them?!

flippikat

Bench

Auckland v Christchurch (Canterbury province)

Not just north v south island, but metropolitan vs really big country city, blue vs red, and two places with a decent amount of sports success that just plain hate each other.

Colk

First Grade
Auckland v Christchurch (Canterbury province)

Not just north v south island, but metropolitan vs really big country city, blue vs red, and two places with a decent amount of sports success that just plain hate each other.

Sounds perfect. Give Christchurch the 2nd licence and if it builds up interest in the game and helps both then you can look at a 3rd team down the line

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds perfect. Give Christchurch the 2nd licence and if it builds up interest in the game and helps both then you can look at a 3rd team down the line
Is there the fanbase and corporate support in Christchurch to generate $15million a year plus revenue in those 2 areas? Its a bit unanswerable I guess but that's realistically what teams without a pokies club are aiming for to be sustainable and have the cash to not just survive but thrive.