What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

I guess when you have your own thread you deserve to be looked on as a long term Dragon. Now the ball is in Tyrells court. The chairman of the club.. no less, has told the 20 year old where he stands. Now up to him to repay the faith. Hit the gym and build 10k onto that frame, then work overtime to improve his catching, tackling, positional play and managing the defensive line. Add those fundamentals to his natural ball skills, game awareness and vision, and we could have a seriously good player in a year or two.
Absolutely. Sloan has scored some pretty tries and had a lot of hype around him in early 2022 but in his present state he's not first grade standard. He certainly needs to bulk up. Ryan Papnhuyzen is a great example of what happens to slight fullbacks in the "modern" game - he's a weapon but is so often out of action. It's a pity we didn't still have someone like Ben Hornby (who was a pretty handy fullback as well as a half) in the club to give some guidance.

but in his present state he's not first grade standard.
Yes mentally wise mostly. What a blow to the confidence of a youngster to be dumped from Firsts after a handful of games. Admittedly he did have a shocker of a game prior to his sacking but in his defense it was a wet, windy day and a slippery ball. Griffin as his coach and supposed mentor needed to acknowledge that, yes he fell off the horse but deserved another ride.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
Yes mentally wise mostly. What a blow to the confidence of a youngster to be dumped from Firsts after a handful of games. Admittedly he did have a shocker of a game prior to his sacking but in his defense it was a wet, windy day and a slippery ball. Griffin as his coach and supposed mentor needed to acknowledge that, yes he fell off the horse but deserved another ride.
His defence was horrible in reserves as well, and his attempt at tackle on deloise hoeter in the final game of our season was embarrassing. The kid's shortcomings are far more than just mental. Acknowledging his talent is one thing, but choosing to just ignore his deficiencies because of that talent will take this team no where.

Walpole

Juniors
I think the reason so many of us are hanging on to the potential of a Sloan-Amone-Sullivan combination is, what else is there? If we don't try to manufacture some sort of enthusiasm around what these kids might be able to do then what the f**k else is there? If there's no hope for them turning us around then we've literally got nothing to look forward to. A forward pack with no impact at all, no leadership in any important positions, the slowest backline in the comp. That's got 17th written all over it.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Griffin is a terrible terrible mentor he dropped Sloan for one bad performance knocked the kids confidence and replaced him with Mbye for most of the year who offered nothing in attack and average defence at best , had he preserved with Sloan the kid wouldn’t of been playing like a rabble his a absolute hindrance on the development of all these young kids so long as griffin is in charge picking has beens from Queensland the dragons won’t be playing finals any time soon

SnowDragon

Juniors
Griffen seems to think Ramsey Is the answer, not Sloan. He wants Hunt as long as possible. Hence places for Sullivan and Sloan are not there. Hence he prefers short term of Mbye rather than Sloan.

you either back the coaches decision as a club, or you give him the blueprint, or you replace him. Since is still following his agenda, the club is either backing him for now, or preparing to replace him.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Griffen seems to think Ramsey Is the answer, not Sloan. He wants Hunt as long as possible. Hence places for Sullivan and Sloan are not there. Hence he prefers short term of Mbye rather than Sloan.

you either back the coaches decision as a club, or you give him the blueprint, or you replace him. Since is still following his agenda, the club is either backing him for now, or preparing to replace him.
Griffin needs to go his not going to take the dragons to that new with has beens from Queensland or is he interested in developing young talent , tyrel Sloan blows both mbye and Ramsey any day of the Week on just roar natural ability take the best coach in the world Wayne Bennett wouldn’t be showing interest in him if he didn’t see that , stupid dragons management let Reece Robson go let leilula go only to replace them with has beens and looks like where headed in the same direction with Sloan abs Sullivan first grade players in most teams except the dragons who by the way finished bottom end of the table with there preferred choices

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Griffin needs to go his not going to take the dragons to that new with has beens from Queensland or is he interested in developing young talent , tyrel Sloan blows both mbye and Ramsey any day of the Week on just roar natural ability take the best coach in the world Wayne Bennett wouldn’t be showing interest in him if he didn’t see that , stupid dragons management let Reece Robson go let leilula go only to replace them with has beens and looks like where headed in the same direction with Sloan abs Sullivan first grade players in most teams except the dragons who by the way finished bottom end of the table with there preferred choices
So true on a number of points. 1. We won't be winning anything with Griffin in charge.
2. Sloan has tons of talent which needs someone to foster. I've been disappointed because Hook was touted as a great coach for bringing juniors through.
3. Bennett wouldn't be interested if he didnt something which most posters here can see.

Revesby boy

Juniors
Griffin needs to go his not going to take the dragons to that new with has beens from Queensland or is he interested in developing young talent , tyrel Sloan blows both mbye and Ramsey any day of the Week on just roar natural ability take the best coach in the world Wayne
Bennett wouldn’t be showing interest in him if he didn’t see that , stupid dragons management let Reece Robson go let leilula go only to replace them with has beens and looks like where headed in the same direction with Sloan abs Sullivan first grade players in most teams except the dragons who by the way finished bottom end of the table with there preferred choices
Seriously , Sloan blows Ramsey away !!!! Have you watched Any NRL at all this year 😳

slippery5

Juniors
Griffin is a terrible terrible mentor he dropped Sloan for one bad performance knocked the kids confidence and replaced him with Mbye for most of the year who offered nothing in attack and average defence at best , had he preserved with Sloan the kid wouldn’t of been playing like a rabble his a absolute hindrance on the development of all these young kids so long as griffin is in charge picking has beens from Queensland the dragons won’t be playing finals any time soon
In the words of Old Timer, "how dare you be so sensible"

possm

Coach
Absolutely. Sloan has scored some pretty tries and had a lot of hype around him in early 2022 but in his present state he's not first grade standard. He certainly needs to bulk up. Ryan Papnhuyzen is a great example of what happens to slight fullbacks in the "modern" game - he's a weapon but is so often out of action. It's a pity we didn't still have someone like Ben Hornby (who was a pretty handy fullback as well as a half) in the club to give some guidance.
Sloan and Dufty are like peas in the same pod. Sloan needs to firstly change his attitude, upgrade his skills in defence and gain confidence in taking the high ball. If he builds up his body and does all of this, he will be a chance in holding down a first-grade fullback position.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Sloan and Dufty are like peas in the same pod. Sloan needs to firstly change his attitude, upgrade his skills in defence and gain confidence in taking the high ball. If he builds up his body and does all of this, he will be a chance in holding down a first-grade fullback position.
And who’s Sloans mentor guiding him along this path taking him to that next level your correctly talking about ? The dry clueless guy from Rockhampton who banished him away after one poor performance?

possm

Coach
And who’s Sloans mentor guiding him along this path taking him to that next level your correctly talking about ? The dry clueless guy from Rockhampton who banished him away after one poor performance?
Sloan just needs to man up and address his skill deficiency without fuss. If he does this in 2023, I have no doubt he will do well and earn a return to first grade. But if he continues to carry on like a pork chop believing he is entitled to this and that, then there is no future for him in the NRL.

Mojo

Bench
Sloan just needs to man up and address his skill deficiency without fuss. If he does this in 2023, I have no doubt he will do well and earn a return to first grade. But if he continues to carry on like a pork chop believing he is entitled to this and that, then there is no future for him in the NRL.
But who's saying he's carrying on like a pork chop? As far as I can see the kid comes on when he's selected and plays the best he can. Frankly, I feel sorry for him, given he has to deal with Hook's general lack of judgment.

Such an overreaction to his poor attempt at a catch during that pissing rain game. It would have been virtually impossible to see the damn ball, let alone catch it. I thought both the Captain's and the Coach's reactions were bloody ridiculous. After all, poor old Hunty's famous for one of the worst attempts at a catch in history! I don't blame him and nor do I blame Sloan. I saw Reece Walsh miss about 10 high balls a couple of weeks later in ideal playing conditions and nobody said he was hopeless and should be dropped - quite the opposite.

Sloan has great talent. I hope our resident egomaniacal geniuses don't damage him beyond repair.

Overseadragon

Juniors
Interesting to note griffin was the guy at Penrith who moved on maiko sivo and he's not doing too badly at Parramatta seems talent spotting isn't his strong suit

Dragon David

First Grade
But who's saying he's carrying on like a pork chop? As far as I can see the kid comes on when he's selected and plays the best he can. Frankly, I feel sorry for him, given he has to deal with Hook's general lack of judgment.

Such an overreaction to his poor attempt at a catch during that pissing rain game. It would have been virtually impossible to see the damn ball, let alone catch it. I thought both the Captain's and the Coach's reactions were bloody ridiculous. After all, poor old Hunty's famous for one of the worst attempts at a catch in history! I don't blame him and nor do I blame Sloan. I saw Reece Walsh miss about 10 high balls a couple of weeks later in ideal playing conditions and nobody said he was hopeless and should be dropped - quite the opposite.

Sloan has great talent. I hope our resident egomaniacal geniuses don't damage him beyond repair.
Well said Mojo.