What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pacific Islander owned 18th NRL club.

MugaB

Coach
I think its a legit question we need to be asking given the NRL's current stance on not investing any thing extra in new markets. That means any new market is going to have to stand on its own and generate around $15mill a year. Its a dumb decision imo that limits the games longer term growth but it is what it is for now.
Of Wellington and Christchurch as locations for a NZ2 club which is most likely to be able to generate that sort of revenue from corporates, fans and investors?
Yeah.. its as legit as talking about the new AFL broadcast rights in a pasifika thread...
We get it PR, you want a perth team duh... its been shoved down throats on nearly every expansion thread.. that and as much as you hate PVL... its getting repetitive

Colk

First Grade
Yeah.. its as legit as talking about the new AFL broadcast rights in a pasifika thread...
We get it PR, you want a perth team duh... its been shoved down throats on nearly every expansion thread.. that and as much as you hate PVL... its getting repetitive

I’ll get it back on thread. It might work if it is based in New Zealand with a couple of games in say Fiji or PNG.

Benefits would be timezone difference for scheduling and TV as well as potentially giving another avenue for Pacific Islander players.

The biggest hurdle is marketing. You also wouldn’t want to take support away from the Warriors. Also, would it be easier to just directly fund investment into the Pacific Islands rather than setting up a new side.

Personally I’d much prefer a South Island because you could generate an instant rivalry with the Warriors which could benefit both.

Perth Red

Post Whore
funny you're the one talking about it now lol. Whatever you feel the motivation behind it the question remains relevant to every expansion thread on every bid. Can they be financially sustainable in the market they are looking at? And if we are talking about NZ2, or more specifically a pasifika style club, is it better to be based in wellington or christchurch from a need to generate $15mill a year revenue point of view?

MugaB

Coach
funny you're the one talking about it now lol. Whatever you feel the motivation behind it the question remains relevant to every expansion thread on every bid. Can they be financially sustainable in the market they are looking at? And if we are talking about NZ2, or more specifically a pasifika style club, is it better to be based in wellington or christchurch from a need to generate $15mill a year revenue point of view?
Yeah that's all fine regarding sustainability...
It's the consistent tix you keep trying to sell perth ... in every thread.. like i said its tiresome, repetitive, and getting to the point where id rather not see it happen just coz you've advertised it so badly

Surely there would be more capital in Wellington than Christchurch?

An Austronesian themed club would appeal to Austronesians living all around the world -- there are 386 million of them -- but very few would become active supporters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesians languages

If it's just a South Pacific islander themed side then that nber dwindles significantly. There are just 2.5 million Polynesians.

There are 11.5 million Melanesians.

We already have Melanesian teams in the Queensland Cup and NSW Cup providing a valuable pathway for rugby league players from PNG and Fiji.

I don't think a racially exclusive team at the professional level can work a there's just not enough people to make provide the money that it'll need to succeed. There's just 880k Polynesians in New Zealand.

MugaB

Coach
Surely there would be more capital in Wellington than Christchurch?

An Austronesian themed club would appeal to Austronesians living all around the world -- there are 386 million of them -- but very few would become active supporters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesians languages

If it's just a South Pacific islander themed side then that nber dwindles significantly. There are just 2.5 million Polynesians.

There are 11.5 million Melanesians.

We already have Melanesian teams in the Queensland Cup and NSW Cup providing a valuable pathway for rugby league players from PNG and Fiji.

I don't think a racially exclusive team at the professional level can work a there's just not enough people to make provide the money that it'll need to succeed. There's just 880k Polynesians in New Zealand.
880k is still a fair lot of people, im sure there is a lot less in townsville following the cowboys...
I dont think it should be a racially motivated club... it just needs clear pathways from those regions, can still contract whoever they want, DCE, foran, Cleary etc,
.. New Zealand has to be the base for it, it has the population and all islands can converge there... and yes a game in fiji per year would be interesting maybe as trials.. but a team that represents those community/regions would be something special... watching the Pasifika tests as the team all huddle in prayer circles.. most clubs now do it after the game, i see penrith do it and have opposition players join it too... just shows the unity of their unique cultures.. its amazing to watch

flippikat

Bench
Whatever the choice for that inevitable 18th team, the NRL needs to ACT NOW and identify what it's direction is.

I'm not necessarily saying they should pick a bid or a location NOW (although that would give a lot of certainty, and tons of lead-in time), but gees.. at least some indication of what the NRL wants to achieve with the 18th club.

Is it to maximise TV revenue?

Is it to open up pathways for talent from an under-utilised junior pool?

Is it to expand the game into AFL territory?

Is it to provide a rivalry/derby for an existing club & leverage the opportunities that brings?

Basically - what's the point here?

The NRL has been "thinking out loud" about many of these issues - and depending on what they say at any given time, it sounds as if their thinking sways with the wind.

But it's about damn time they put a stake in the ground and said "THIS is why we need team 18, and THESE are the benefits we plan to gain from it.", which should guide & inform the actual decision.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whatever the choice for that inevitable 18th team, the NRL needs to ACT NOW and identify what it's direction is.

I'm not necessarily saying they should pick a bid or a location NOW (although that would give a lot of certainty, and tons of lead-in time), but gees.. at least some indication of what the NRL wants to achieve with the 18th club.

Is it to provide a rivalry/derby for an existing club & leverage the opportunities that brings?

The NRL has been "thinking out loud" about many of these issues - and depending on what they say at any given time, it sounds as if their thinking sways with the wind.

But it's about damn time they put a stake in the ground and said "THIS is why we need team 18, and THESE are the benefits we plan to gain from it.", which should guide & inform the actual decision.
That would require some modicum of long term strategy lol

I think we need at least one Sydney club to relocate to Adelaide. That opens up room for Perth, NZ 2 and Bris 3 so we can have a proper footprint across Australia and New Zealand. If we do that then our footprint will be better than AwFuL's.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think we need at least one Sydney club to relocate to Adelaide. That opens up room for Perth, NZ 2 and Bris 3 so we can have a proper footprint across Australia and New Zealand. If we do that then our footprint will be better than AwFuL's.
might be ideal but will never happen. There is no will from the NRL and no need from the clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they reduced the annual grant to only cover the salary cap then Cronulla would be stuffed.
you forget the clubs are part of the commission. will never happen. If anything its going the other way. After a massive jump from $8mill to $13mill grant it has continued to creep up to now $15-16million. Lord knows what it will be in this next round of turkey dealing thats going on!

you forget the clubs are part of the commission. will never happen. If anything its going the other way. After a massive jump from $8mill to $13mill grant it has continued to creep up to now $15-16million. Lord knows what it will be in this next round of turkey dealing thats going on!
It's the main reason I'm losing interest in the game. Supporting our game is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Latest posts