What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

not 1 Dragons side in any grade came anywhere near achieving something this year
Agree with all else but our Jersey Flegg side made it two weeks into the finals. So some hope for the future with the side producing a handful of promising players. Like the other grades, the lack of a big powerful pack and sub finals standard defense was our achilles heel.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Agree with all else but our Jersey Flegg side made it two weeks into the finals. So some hope for the future with the side producing a handful of promising players. Like the other grades, the lack of a big powerful pack and sub finals standard defense was our achilles heel.
Agree, it just goes to show though across the board we have no real strength in the grades, KOE especially, where we had a sub standard coach , that team put no pressure on the NRL squad and if you took a couple of players out of it here and there it would perform like a busted arse. What happened to our promising forwards that we heard about early in the year where have they disappeared to ??? I see the Broncs are having a massive cleanout , standyby for our mob to pick them up as bargain buys.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So based on the media the Dogs are talking to Hunt and Bud so they are targeting Saints current half and the back up? Not putting any pressure on Saints are they? 1 is on contract till 2025 the other they cannot talk to til 1 Nov. They want 1 or the other. Gould at his best developing juniors? Give me a break. What is funny in all this they have young Flannagan and their reserve team made the NSW cup GF.

My question is why isn't Saints going to the NRL about these if true? What a load of BS. If Saints lose 1 of these to the Dogs then it will be a freakin' joke.

possm

Coach
Actually been very well paid for 5 years. He started in 2018.
Now we have a few issues.
1. He’s contracted for 2023 and so is Hook.

2. Saints need to show some balls and say to Hunt this is the offer, take it or leave it.

3. By taking it I’m sure Sullivan walks unless either party is happy to play 9 for 2023 ( Hunts already stated that’s not happening ).

4. McCullough is still contracted for 2023 and has already shown signs that he will not walk away ( we’re f**ked as Hook won’t play him in Reggie’s. Again this is bad for Sullivan ).

5. With Hook and Hunt there for 2023 that is great for McCullough and very bad news for Sullivan.

6. Hunt wants a clause to walk if Griffin loses his job. Club said no to this ( nice, I like it ).

7. If Saints are seriously looking to move Griffin on after 2023 then they may as well pull the trigger now and put someone in their who won’t take this gun to the head shit at the risk of losing Sullivan now and probably Hunt mid next year.
Better still, sack hook now this gets rid of one cluase and possibly gives Hunt a reason to ask for a release.

Then offer a swap with David Fifita no release costs and both Clubs sort out a contract for their new recruit.

FlameThrower

Bench
Harsh reality we are no longer a successful club nor an attractive option as a Club on the upward trend.
We are now potentially pushed into a corner by a player, who does not want to shift position, wants more money and is at the backend of his career.
With knock on effect of maybe triggering a few of the young guys to look elsewhere. Macca, Hunt and JDB are all getting on and the game is so fast now. I think we are stuffed no matter what the outcome is.

Dragon David

First Grade
Harsh reality we are no longer a successful club nor an attractive option as a Club on the upward trend.
We are now potentially pushed into a corner by a player, who does not want to shift position, wants more money and is at the backend of his career.
With knock on effect of maybe triggering a few of the young guys to look elsewhere. Macca, Hunt and JDB are all getting on and the game is so fast now. I think we are stuffed no matter what the outcome is.
If the truth be told and in my opinion, the young ones at our club have become disillusioned and just not happy with the make up and direction the club is heading. Players like Sloan and Sullivan are not happy and likewise a band of other brothers in the club can see that our club is nowhere near being where they thought it would be.

There was even the rumour that Su'a wasn't happy with the direction the club was heading. All bad thoughts bring on poor attitudes.

What is Craig Young doing for heavens sake? What is management working on to get us better? Are they all f..kwits who are also dumbclucks who should all hand in their notices for the betterment of the club?

There have been too many years of the poor outcomes and the outlook for the future does not warrant any enthusiasm. Our coaching and player dilemmas just continue.

Qdf

Juniors
Hunt is SOO dummyhalf. That can play at halfback.
Been paid overs by our dysfunctional management team. Time for Hunt to play
dummyhalf and let our rising young half have his chance next year. While Hunt guides
Sullivan into his roll as halfback. If he doesn't want this position it's time to say
Goodbye. It's more important for our team to have better forwards, so spend Hunts salary on some top shelf frontrower & another backrower.

Dragons4me

Juniors
If the truth be told and in my opinion, the young ones at our club have become disillusioned and just not happy with the make up and direction the club is heading. Players like Sloan and Sullivan are not happy and likewise a band of other brothers in the club can see that our club is nowhere near being where they thought it would be.

There was even the rumour that Su'a wasn't happy with the direction the club was heading. All bad thoughts bring on poor attitudes.

What is Craig Young doing for heavens sake? What is management working on to get us better? Are they all f..kwits who are also dumbclucks who should all hand in their notices for the betterment of the club?

There have been too many years of the poor outcomes and the outlook for the future does not warrant any enthusiasm. Our coaching and player dilemmas just continue.

Hard to argue. The silence from the club is deafening so the rumour mill is in free-fall fed by so-called journalists. How depressing.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I often wonder what our high salary management do with their time. We have Ryan Webb who hardly says boo, Ben Haran...football manager who hardly says boo, Shane Flanaghan...recruitment who hardly says boo and the list goes on. How do these boffins actually spend their time to justify what I assume would be quite reasonable salaries, because they actually don't seem to achieve much, say much or appear anywhere much!!

Dragon David

First Grade
I often wonder what our high salary management do with their time. We have Ryan Webb who hardly says boo, Ben Haran...football manager who hardly says boo, Shane Flanaghan...recruitment who hardly says boo and the list goes on. How do these boffins actually spend their time to justify what I assume would be quite reasonable salaries, because they actually don't seem to achieve much, say much or appear anywhere much!!
Twinkletoes. Who are Ryan Webb, Ben Haran and Shane Flanagan? I don't recall these people. Do they have anything to do with the Dragons?

Mojo

Bench
Hunt is SOO dummyhalf. That can play at halfback.
Been paid overs by our dysfunctional management team. Time for Hunt to play
dummyhalf and let our rising young half have his chance next year. While Hunt guides
Sullivan into his roll as halfback. If he doesn't want this position it's time to say
Goodbye. It's more important for our team to have better forwards, so spend Hunts salary on some top shelf frontrower & another backrower.
Exactly. It's very simple IMO: Listen Hunty, $750 for a 2 year extension - playing 9 from 2023 onwards. If you don't like either of these requirements, look elsewhere. Sorry mate, what did you say? Why? Well, firstly we've already paid you top dollar for years and got nothing much in return; secondly, we've already got a bloody great little halfback whose got a great combination with our 6, unlike yourself, so if you stay at 7 you're messing up our plans for several other guys we value very highly, and thirdly, your old mate Macca's rooted and isn't going to be playing 1st grade next year. What's that?.. Hook wont like it. Hahahaha. Good one! Well he can fk off too! We've got other guys who can coach - probably better than him anyway. By the way, we need young forwards, not aging halfbacks, so the squillions you've been paid will come in very handy for us.

Dragon David

First Grade
They are people who use the Dragons as a stepping stone to something else, got to give it to Brian Johnston when he got out when he did, he must have known what was coming over the horizon.
I think he knew what was around the corner justa and he is fortunate to have left when he did. I don't know when Webb's contract is up. He might be wanting to do the same if he can land a job at a well run establishment elsewhere not including another leagues club.

I don't even think that Dean Young would now be wanting to venture into the Dragons Den again especially since Todd Payten won the trophy for being the coach of the year in 2022 and going from what Payten said in his speech, the men running the Cowboys are well thought of.

I somehow feel that there are not that many people now who would be really keen to be a part of the club whether as an employee, coach, player, cheer squad, etc. There would be plenty who would dearly love to tell the truth about the goings on at the club but need to or have been told to zip their lips closed. Examples Gentle, Elliott, Brian Johnston, Media guy. Even Mary.

Gareth67

First Grade
Exactly. It's very simple IMO: Listen Hunty, $750 for a 2 year extension - playing 9 from 2023 onwards. If you don't like either of these requirements, look elsewhere. Sorry mate, what did you say? Why? Well, firstly we've already paid you top dollar for years and got nothing much in return; secondly, we've already got a bloody great little halfback whose got a great combination with our 6, unlike yourself, so if you stay at 7 you're messing up our plans for several other guys we value very highly, and thirdly, your old mate Macca's rooted and isn't going to be playing 1st grade next year. What's that?.. Hook wont like it. Hahahaha. Good one! Well he can fk off too! We've got other guys who can coach - probably better than him anyway. By the way, we need young forwards, not aging halfbacks, so the squillions you've been paid will come in very handy for us.
Apparently there was some mention of Griffin’s future in the talks by Hunt and his agent .

I mean the man is there to secure his playing future at the Dragons beyond 2023 , the coach's position is not open for discussion - full stop .

Illusion

Bench
FFS stick to the offer, tell him he's playing 9, Sullivan stays !!! He hasn't got Dally M winner to add to his resume now, oh and guess what another half back won it !!! Not to mention where our illustrious coach finished in " coach of the year " , not 1 Dragons side in any grade came anywhere near achieving something this year, what a debacle this club is, top to bottom !!!
Yep it's easy as you say , play the year out at 9 swapping with Sully until he settles in ..... Don't forget Hunt tried to have Hook stay as part of his contract talks , and pay big money to stay on ..... He had 1 good year so far , what if he doesn't aim up if signed on , pressure on him that's all I see ..... let him go .....

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Can't wait for the pre-season chat.

Exciting times.

Imagine having this clubs history, and being front and centre of debates over a 32 year old Queenslander holding the club to ransom, after he has been paid so well for 5 years.

I predicted a spot of 9-12th for the current season. Was laughed at by some.

If the club folds to Hunts demands, then that's on the club. Not Hunt.

Sorry, as far as I'm concerned he either plays hooker next year or leaves.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Not a rumour but true,, the St.George media guy Jack Brady has resigned. For those interested the job is being advertised on Seek - Communications & Media Manager. The bar was set low, so go for it if interested.

Latest posts